• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow - 2/14/14

JohnQ

Date(s) Skied: February 14, 2014

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow

Conditions: Powder!

Trip Report:
Came up early on Wednesday evening to stay ahead of the snow and it paid off this morning. 16" or so of somewhat heavy snow that got tracked out really quickly. To me, the best part of a powder day is once the snow gets pushed around and the soft bumps start to form. That made this a perfect day for my goals.

Did not get first tracks as I had to drop my girls off at ski school. Was 9:20 by the time I headed up Bluebird. Singles line all the way. Took a quick run down Ledges into Canyon to warm up. Then I made my first mistake of the day … went to Sunbrook instead of North Face.

Sunbrook was scoured of snow. The wind was just pulling it off the mountain. Rode Bear Trap twice, just for kicks, but there were "icebergs" lurking under the fresh snow that would launch you without notice. Was an interesting ride. At that point headed over to the North Face which I should have done first thing. Lapped Fallen Timbers a few times. Good, soft bumps were being formed that were just a blast to ski. Would surf the top snow, absorb the bump, turn in the trough and repeat. Good tunes in the helmet and smiles. Finished up with a run down Challenger with big, fat, fluffy moguls. Still some rocks in the troughs but a lot of fun.

Was 5 minutes late picking my girls up from the ski school. Bluebird was jammed; took about 10 minutes in the single line, no idea what it was in the regular one. Grand Summit wasn't running. The girls struggled a little with the snow after lunch but were good sports. By 2pm the westerly wind at the summit was pushing them hard down the mountain. Must have been 30-35 mph so bagged it early at 2:30. Great day.

No pictures other than an empty Sunbrook lift, couldn't stop to take them …

Last edited:

planb420

1888862_10152301059441522_857613357_o.jpg

AMAZING DAY!!! Even renewed my vows to my beautiful wife of 5 years on top of a mountain in a snowstorm and promptly bombed a POW RUN, can it really get better?....check that off the list

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It was certainly busy. They had Ego Alley running when I returned to the Main Base at 3. Cars were backed up all the way the access road. The snow was excellent. Not too light and not too heavy. Rotated between laps on the trees off of Oylimpic and the trees off of Ripcord. No freshies for me, as I arrived at 11. The parking lots were being plowed as people were entering. We were backed up all the way to Route 100. Winds were really bad. Outpost chairs were swaying like crazy. The summit had whiteout conditions. Long line of cars coming up Route 100 in the afternoon. Gonna be a madhouse tomorrow.

drjeff

It was certainly busy. They had Ego Alley running when I returned to the Main Base at 3. Cars were backed up all the way the access road. The snow was excellent. Not too light and not too heavy. Rotated between laps on the trees off of Oylimpic and the trees off of Ripcord. No freshies for me, as I arrived at 11. The parking lots were being plowed as people were entering. We were backed up all the way to Route 100. Winds were really bad. Outpost chairs were swaying like crazy. The summit had whiteout conditions. Long line of cars coming up Route 100 in the afternoon. Gonna be a madhouse tomorrow.

My plan tomorrow is 1st chair at 7:30 for passholders AM Express access, then 1st bar stool at 11AM! ;) If it wasn't for the fact that one of my good friends from college is skiing up here at Mount Snow with his family tomorrow and wants to take a few runs (and tip back a few beers :beer: ;) ) I'd 100% be taking up one of my multiple friends with Hermitage Club access, up on their standing offers to join them for a day there!

Light winds, big fresh snow, temps in the mid 20's, the Saturday of President's Day weekend all equals the "ingredients" for one of, if not the busiest days in Mount Snow's history! :eek: I fully expect to witness for a while, preferrably from my barstool in the Station Taproom, the lines from the Canyon Quad, Bluebird Express and Grand Summit Express all appearing to merge together into one big, 100 yard or so liftline! :eek: :eek: :eek:

JohnQ

Sounds like a good plan, hope they don't groom everything out. I had a friend offer a pass at Hermitage so will be there Saturday.

sankaty

I was also at Mount Snow yesterday (but then again, who wasn't?). The best part of the spectacular day is that the relatively dense snow did a great job of burying obstacles in the trees. We could charge through untracked areas with confidence.

sankaty

I find that Mount Snow does not relentlessly groom all trails after a storm. This is an area where I like them better at Stratton.

planb420

THE TREES WERE BOTTOMLESS....and I had one hell of a wild ride on the beartrap lift...SHIZZZ WAS SWINGIN!!!!
Was in the parking lot by 8:15 (Left CT in the storm at 5:30am...DEDICATION) Was on the 5th bubble chair and got fresh tracks on my first 4 runs...EPIC DAY! THANKS PAX!

Edd

My plan tomorrow is 1st chair at 7:30 for passholders AM Express access, then 1st bar stool at 11AM!

Spring days aside, this is my plan every ski day. Not everyone appreciates the genius of it.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone