• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

02/16/14 Whaleback

hammer

Where: Whaleback Mountain, NH

When: Sunday, February 16, 2014

Conditions: Packed Powder, Powder, Lots of bumps on ungroomed trails, cold, busy in PM

Had a great day at Whaleback today. Waited until a decent snowfall to make use of the passes I won through AZ (thanks Nick). Got there a bit before 10 to bright sunshine and cold temps.

Lift lines went between ski-on to a few minute wait throughout the morning.

First run was down one of the long greens, trail called Ivory Run. Guessing there was some grooming done at one point but there were a few sections that weren't "smooth". No complaints, it did make the trail a bit more interesting, but more challenging for a green than we expected. We then explored various trails on skier's right which included some of the wider groomed cruisers. Since one swath of Face was groomed I went down that - short trail but one section was pretty steep, pitch seemed similar to FIS at Pats Peak. Skiers right was all moguls which looked nice.

After lunch we went down another trail on skier's left, Fluke, which was also left ungroomed. Nice snow, interesting trail, lots of fun. We then checked out some of the other trails on skiers right that we missed.

I stayed away from most of the other blacks, mainly because I didn't want to spend too much time picking my way down steep bump runs. Looked nice though, someone with more skills would have had a blast.

Lines built up by about 2:00 to about where the lodge is.

As others have said, the place skis bigger than it looks, especially with all of the trails that were ungroomed. Nice low-key area, great place to get away from the crowds. Hope they will be able to stay open.

Put a few pictures in this album, may add more later:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/album.php?albumid=353

soxfan2

Thanks for the report! I'm here now. Debating on skiing Jonah's Revenge. I heard there's 4 foot drifts in some areas.

xwhaler

I skied Jonah's yesterday----left side was pretty decent but its very wind loaded pow---easy to get stuck if you are not moving fast.

hammer

I skied Jonah's yesterday----left side was pretty decent but its very wind loaded pow---easy to get stuck if you are not moving fast.
Saw the rope on the left at the top and the pucker brush and wasn't sure it was open...guess we should have chanced it. Maybe next time.

4aprice

Great to see the Whale back in her glory. We had great winters when I skied there back in the late 70's and it was such a cool little mountain. I will revisit when I get the opportunity over the next several years. I would imagine Skiways is in pretty good shape too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Newpylong

I also think it skis much bigger than it looks. You really only see the front from the base. Certainly is a lot beyond that.

Go Whale!