• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Back Country Pa. 2/16/14

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
1st Descent Lehigh Ravine...Near Jim Thorpe Pa. My Neice and myself
Beatiful weather after 4'' fresh night before , winds backed off 30 mph gust night before. a little chilly 15f
Long skin to the moutain, 1st 30 yds bushwacking to open gullies and a very steep switchback skin.
My nice had some binding issues and I ran out of gas so we did'nt do the full 800 vert.
Been meaning to get this line for 20yrs and finnaly got it.
IMG_2692.jpgIMG_2689.jpgIMG_2694.jpg

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Awesome!

I really want to start BC skiing next year. I need to start a thread on it. I'd like to invest in some tele gear, thinking NTN like my sister has, alternatively BC bindings but I'm interested in trying freeheel skiing to switch it up.

Did you just hike up?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Un hikeable with this snow, skinned up , switching back after aiming for up hill side of a tree to put our backs against , then repeat, never skinned anything that steep before.

Last edited:

ChicoKat

Great idea for a thread. My wife and I have a very basic setup of BC Metal Edge Touring skis, plastic shell Garmont boots and the simple Voile 3 pin binding. We use any combination of hiking trails, fire roads and existing network of cross country trails looking for great places in the back country. Unless you plan on skiing above tree line in the presidentials or free healing the resorts as you mentioned this may be all you need. Although as I respond we are booking tele lessons. So I am fully resigned to getting hooked on tele and spending big bucks on those setups! We rarely ski the resorts anymore and we live 6 miles down the road from Waterville.

Savemeasammy

We went to Jim Thorpe a few years ago, and I was admiring the steep mountainsides. Glad you finally got it after all that time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makado420

Any budy know of any good bc spots in ulster county ny

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ScottySkis

Any budy know of any good bc spots in ulster county ny

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
I think there some great hill in Liberty NY which has fanastic biking I can't think of the name when I do I post it. It used to be ski hill back in the day Walnut hill?