• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Quiver?

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
So while im not that new to skiing, I have been for 4/5 years, I am new to the online skiing world of forums and stuff like that. Im quickly seeing that people refer to their collection of skis as their "quiver." WTF is up with this??

It's a bit of a thorn in my side, the same as when people can't seem to figure out the proper use of then/than or there/their/they're..... While I have never hunted I was into archery as a teenager. A quiver is what you use to hold your arrows, NOT YOUR SKIS!!! Lets put an end to the improper use of this word! A quick google search will show you all the acceptable uses for the word. Now lets see if skiing is mentioned.....

quiver1.jpg

quiver2.JPG

So as we can see there is no mention of a quiver being a collection of skis. The only other sport mentioned is surfing and while equally ridiculous, at least has a "honorable mention" online.

It would seem that calling your collection of skis your "quiver" is a fabrication of the online skiing community. Being that quiver already has a firm definition in archery I think we need to get rid of this completely out of place term and use something else. there is nothing wrong with saying my "ski collection," so how about try that for a change?

Join me in putting an end to the incorrect use of the word quiver!!!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
:popcorn:

So pedantic.

I think I should go to Wikipedia and edit it to include Quiver as a colloquial expression for a pile of skis.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Yer rite! There reely serf bords.

quiver

a collection of surfboards of differant lengths and thicknesses so that the surfer in question can surf any type of wave with ease.

Donny's got a wicked good quiver going, 3 shortboards and an 11'ft longboard

KD7000

This is the best dumb-ass thread of the week. Your level of detail is quite thorough, and the expository nature of the post is refreshing.

Nice work!

moresnow

Thank you! If you are going to do something, you should always do it well!

Do I get some sort of ribbon for that award?? :lol:

No ribbon, but you do get a trophy.

3130690.gif

skiNEwhere

So what do you think when someone says "there's a huge dump outside?" :/