• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier dies from injuries at Stowe

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:49 am | Updated: 12:12 pm, Thu Feb 20, 2014.

"A skier died Tuesday...

initial investigation revealed that Plonski had lost control on the Upper Gondolier trail and struck another skier before sliding into a trail sign at the intersection with the Chin Clip trail. Stowe police did not disclose the incident to the media until late Thursday morning."
Source: http://www.stowetoday.com

The downside to good snow is that there is likely to be an uptick in injuries. Patrol is probably having more work than fun this week.

skifree

damn! I have noticed a lot of people getting dragged down this year

BenedictGomez

lost control on the Upper Gondolier

Ugh...another tragedy. Given the trail, I'd guess he was an advanced beginner or lower-intermediate that got moving too fast for his abilities. That trail is Stowe's 4 lane highway, making it the most dangerous at Stowe IMO.

KevinF

Ugh...another tragedy. Given the trail, I'd guess he was an advanced beginner or lower-intermediate that got moving too fast for his abilities. That trail is Stowe's 4 lane highway, making it the most dangerous at Stowe IMO.

I don't think Upper Gondolier sees that much traffic. Upper Gondolier is from the gondola unload point and goes to skier's left and finally wraps around coming into Gondolier just below the frozen waterfall. Gondolier itself can be a four lane highway for sure.

I see the vast majority of people turning right off the gondola onto what is technically Upper Perry Merrill. The wrap-around turn on Upper Perry Merrill as it passes Cliff Trail is absolute insanity on the weekends.

BenedictGomez

I don't think Upper Gondolier sees that much traffic. Upper Gondolier is from the gondola unload point and goes to skier's left and finally wraps around coming into Gondolier just below the frozen waterfall. Gondolier itself can be a four lane highway for sure.

No doubt, Gonolier itself is 100% the worst at Stowe in terms of "beware of rental equipment" skiing, but you do need to get through the top of it or upper PM before you get to it.

KD7000

The wrap-around turn on Upper Perry Merrill as it passes Cliff Trail is absolute insanity on the weekends.
Indeed. A couple years back, I had a massive wipe out on that exact spot. That day, there was a somewhat unexpected transition from soft snow to bare ice. Luckily, I didn't take anyone down with me.