• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ice, Ice, Baby...

Tin

Looking nasty to start the weekend, K has all lifts but Snowdon and Snowshed double on hold because of ice? (And of course are reporting 11 lifts open).

drjeff

Looks like Mount Snow is in the same boat....................

Per my wife who is up at our place at Mount Snow right now (we're about 250 vertical feet above the base lodge altitude wise) - there's a light glaze on everything, it's about 33 out per the thermometer on the back deck, pretty windy and visibility of maybe 200 yards, with some light drizzle coming down :eek:

Given the crappy weather right now and the forecast for temps to quickly rise into the mid 40's, can't blame any ski area GM for minimizing the risk to workers to rush to de-ice multiple lifts this AM and/or groom out a bunch of crusted over terrain when likely there's a very small demand for turns this AM and things should be softening quickly.

Definitely sounds like it's a "grab a second cup of coffee" type morning in So VT today!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah this weekend seems like it won't be that great. Groomed trails might be OK but anything natural or woods might be pretty nasty.

xwhaler

Sunny and highs in the 40's basically everywhere tomorrow. I'm headed to Wildcat hoping/expecting some good soft turns.

KevinF

I'm up at Stowe (skied here yesterday). Took a couple runs off the gondola this morning. Things were starting to soften up, but there is a crust / glaze on everything that's nearly impossible to get an edge in. The areas that had softened up were fun, but they were intermittent.

I have to see my bootfitter up here anyway, so I called it quits. The weekend seems like a 10-by-10 type of day (i.e., 10 runs by 10AM and call it quits as the crowds arrive).

ScottySkis

Roxbury was so snowy no no no it will come back if it does not I had great snowy days already several times i am happy.l

spelling might be of tpday cant sigh in withhhhhhhh Ta p atlke soft snow Sat. spring skiing i be happyyyyyy
I like the forecast here could be much worse.

• This Afternoon Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 4pm, then showers likely. High near 43. South wind 9 to 14 mph becoming west. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
  • Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 25. Southwest wind 8 to 15 mph.
  • Saturday Sunny, with a high near 44. Breezy, with a southwest wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 16 to 21 mph in the afternoon.
  • Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 27. West wind 8 to 16 mph.
  • Sunday A chance of snow showers before 1pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 41. West wind 6 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Sunday Night A slight chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 11. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
  • Monday Partly sunny, with a high near 25.
  • Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 6.
  • Tuesday A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 24. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Tuesday Night A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 6. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
  • Wednesday Partly sunny, with a high near 24.
  • Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 0.
  • Thursday Partly sunny, with a high near 19.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm up at Stowe (skied here yesterday). Took a couple runs off the gondola this morning. Things were starting to soften up, but there is a crust / glaze on everything that's nearly impossible to get an edge in. The areas that had softened up were fun, but they were intermittent.

I have to see my bootfitter up here anyway, so I called it quits. The weekend seems like a 10-by-10 type of day (i.e., 10 runs by 10AM and call it quits as the crowds arrive).
Thanks!

MRG just sent this out:

"We saw some sleet overnight followed by some freezing rain resulting in a crusty surface today. Up on top we saw a more extensive icing situation. The upcoming forecast is looking a bit tenuous but it looks like we won't see too much unfrozen precipitation today and it would appear that we will not be losing any of our base. The good news is that the weekend weather is looking decent with sunny skies"

mlctvt

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the drive up to Mount Snow from CT tonight for just one day of skiing tomorrow?

We have to be home Sunday for a family event. If everything is crusted over tomorrow morning it might not be fun or worth it. It's supposed to be warm, up to 40 degrees tomorrow, but there will be a freeze tonight. How long do you think it will take to soften up after the freeze up?

I don't want to ski groomers all day- Yes I'd be very bored with that.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
This is telling

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

mlctvt

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the drive up to Mount Snow from CT tonight for just one day of skiing tomorrow?

We have to be home Sunday for a family event. If everything is crusted over tomorrow morning it might not be fun or worth it. It's supposed to be warm, up to 40 degrees tomorrow, but there will be a freeze tonight. How long do you think it will take to soften up after the freeze up?

I don't want to ski groomers all day- Yes I'd be very bored with that.

I think I just answered my own question as this was posted on the Mt Snow passholders website at 2pm. Ice Ice Baby for sure

"Hey guys,

What a challenging day it has been. Our forecast was calling for temps to rise into the 40’s today. Unfortunately, we never got close to that and as the light rain falls it is still freezing to lifts, trees, trails, etc. We had hoped to de-ice all the lifts today and be ready for tomorrow a.m., but as this frozen precipitation continues to gather we are anticipating much more work to be done.

Best case scenario is the temps will rise and the bulk of this ice will melt. But there is a good chance we will need to continue with de-icing efforts as soon as the sun rises tomorrow a.m.

In order to give our lift mechanics and grooming staff every minute possible to de-ice lifts and prepare the hill, A.M. Express is cancelled for Saturday, Feb 22."

tipsdown

Looks like the Saddleback and Sugarloaf dodged a bullet. Report are no rain or freezing rain at all. They're expected to pick up a few inches tonight...tomorrow looks like more Powder/Packed Powder conditions!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Looks like the Saddleback and Sugarloaf dodged a bullet. Report are no rain or freezing rain at all. They're expected to pick up a few inches tonight...tomorrow looks like more Powder/Packed Powder conditions!

Hmm. this might call for a little adventure. Any interest from the Boston contingency?

tipsdown

flightschool

Trying to get in contact with people I know at Sugarloaf to confirm if they got only snow/sleet. If anyone that went today could let us know the conditions it would be great. The website said loose granular conditions...not sure what to make of that.

UPDATE - friend says Loaf did indeed get rain and that the skiing is "firm".

Last edited: