• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you get bored of skiing on groomers?

spiderpig

Yes, but I'd probably still ski as many days as if there were open trails other than groomers just because of the seasonal nature of skiing. And I can find jumping points on enough trails to keep it interesting.

Cornhead

Groomers are skiing nice at Wildcat today and the views on this sunny day are incredible.
+1, only problem with skiing Wildcat on a bluebird day, not running off the trail into the woods staring at the amazing view in front of you!

dlague

I find that 40-60% of my day is spent skiing non bumped non gladed trails. I like the feeling of arcing nice fast edge turns. I also like looking for rollers or other features that make a trail interesting. Another, type of groomer that I like are the steeper, narrower trails that require few mistakes. We often ski with others and that too makes it interesting. Sometimes it is just fun to cruise around!

So... no I do not get bored of groomers!

Based on some of the responses here, early season skiing must really suck!

herlich

I get bored riding up slow chairlifts... they need to rip out all fixed grip lifts and put in SUPER FAST HIGH SPEED LIFTS!!!!

+1
Slow chair lifts will send me home before only being able to ski groomers would.

C-Rex

Getting bored on the cord is a sure sign that you're skiing Okemo.

HA! Good one!

I'm having a good time as long as I'm sliding on snow. I think the boredom sets in when I feel like I'm on the lift more than the trails. Days like that are when I'm glad most areas have decent parks these days. I've never been big on park stuff. I'd rather be in the woods or on some gnarly lines. If that stuff isn't open, I'll hit the park to work on skills that will help next time I'm where I'd rather be. Getting comfy in the air, on bumps, or sliding rails will help when you're hucking cliffs, ripping glades, or sliding bent over trees. :grin:

jrmagic

While I certainly prefer ungroomed trails, bumps and trees I don't think I've ever gotten bored when I'm skiing. A couple of years back in that horrible snow season, not only was I limited to groomers through the first part of February, it was all on one way down at Magic... the slogan "I'm thinking Trick to Showoff" was born that year. I still had fun and would lay huge rails one run and then short turns the next and keep mixing it up which kept it fresh.

Snowlover

Groomers are FUN! So is powder! Usually, it's pow day first day after storm, then fun great packed pow groomers

4aprice

I find that 40-60% of my day is spent skiing non bumped non gladed trails. I like the feeling of arcing nice fast edge turns. I also like looking for rollers or other features that make a trail interesting. Another, type of groomer that I like are the steeper, narrower trails that require few mistakes. We often ski with others and that too makes it interesting. Sometimes it is just fun to cruise around!

So... no I do not get bored of groomers!

Based on some of the responses here, early season skiing must really suck!

I'm about 50-50 groomers/non groomers. Always start the day on cord, gets the blood circulating and wakes up the muscles and a lot of times its about waiting for good old Mr Sun to work his magic on the non-groomed and bumps. (This past weekend was a good example). Wife has had her knee rebuilt so she prefers groomers for the most part, but recently has been joining me in lower angle bumps and doing quite well I might add. She even said she is starting to see why we (me and some others who ski with us) enjoy them so much. Do I get bored of them, it depends. Early season no, too many muscles to work back into shape from the off season. After about 10 days on the home bump I definitely hope and look for bumps. Most of our major skiing up north and out west is done in the later part of the season so I guess I would be disappointed if there was nothing but groomed but even in the worst winter like 11-12 we found bumps and some trees.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kingslug

Boring...although a day on groomers beats a day on the job...just got back from Switzerland..worst groomers on earth...and that's all they ski over there..had the pow..all to our selves...very...weird...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Most people said the same thing. To me it was just okay.

I really enjoy first tracks but it's partially because being the first down a groomer is different than a typical all-day groomer.

Also, it's something unique and different, grabbing multiple runs within an hour and zero wait on the lift.

fahz

No, I like to ski. Lift lines kinda bring me down or the early season white ribbon of death. I dabble in trees, bumps, terrain parks but will lap those groomers all day!

bvibert

Staff member
I really enjoy first tracks but it's partially because being the first down a groomer is different than a typical all-day groomer.

Also, it's something unique and different, grabbing multiple runs within an hour and zero wait on the lift.

That was the good part.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun, just wasn't the highlight of my weekend like a lot of people.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For me, the appeal of skiing First Tracks at Sugarloaf and letting them rip has a lot to do with the terrain. The terrain off the Superquad IMO is the best terrain in New England to completely let the skis fly. It's basically my tunaspeed moment of the winter. I don't ever come close to skiing as fast as I do during that first hour on empty trails that wide with such a consistent pitch. That's what's fun about it for me. Wish I had a set of Race Stock Super G skis for that hour.

Cheese

Pretty much everywhere in the northeast saw rain last Friday. The woods are toast until the next snowfall so from last weekend on it's been all groomers and I don't see a change in sight for this weekend. It's carving snow and I'll have a blast testing my limits in tighter arcs and on steeper terrain. I can still skid a turn on the steeps or if I turn quicker than the radius I've flexed my boards to so there's plenty of skill to be gained. Enjoy it!

dlague

If you are bored on groomers then this weekend will be tough for you but I will have fun on them just the same! However I am told the woods are in play at Jay Peak which is where we are making turns this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

If you are bored on groomers then this weekend will be tough for you but I will have fun on them just the same! However I am told the woods are in play at Jay Peak which is where we are making turns this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Heading up to Smuggs this weekend and it looks like they are slowly opening the trees back up. I think it will be fine up north but I will report back.