• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you get bored of skiing on groomers?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Let's say there is a poor snow year and woods are closed, no bump runs, everything is just groomed out. Do you get bored? Or can you enjoy a full day on the snow with nothing but just groomers.

Yes, I realize that skiing is better than not skiing, but I do find myself getting somewhat bored after a few hours of nothing but straight groomer skiing, even if the runs are particularly steep.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, I can be a bit more entertained on trails with interesting features. Steep, narrow, winding, double fall lines, etc. Skiing just groomers at Ragged is a very different day than just groomers at Cannon. But even that usually gets old before the day is out.

drjeff

Nope. I just love being on the hill sliding downhill, and can, and do, over the course of a season have as much fun logging say 30k verts of cord in a day as I do logging 30k verts of powder or trees or bumps.

I will totally admit that some days though are more exciting than others based on the snow conditions and terrain availability

WoodCore

Definitely not getting bored, love laying perfect arcs down on the groomers! :thumbup:

timm

Skiing just groomers at Ragged is a very different day than just groomers at Cannon.

My short answer is no. I get so few days on the mountain I enjoy what's there for the taking when I can.

If I was doing 40+ days or more it might be different or if we were talking about specific mountains exclusively it might be different.

Terry

No. when there is only groomers it is time to work on carving perfect turns. It is fun to see if you can make it down an entire trail without skdding a turn.

BenedictGomez

Let's say there is a poor snow year and woods are closed, no bump runs, everything is just groomed out. Do you get bored?

I can handle a certain number of ski days like that, especially pre-MLK'ish but after a while I would get bored.

SIKSKIER

If your getting bored on groomers you need to ramp up the speed and scare yourself a little.Nothing like high speed arcs.You think Bode and the boys are BORED ripping SG and GS turns?I think not.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
I would probably get bored... Is this assuming no terrain parks either? That said its better to be outside in winter playing in whatever snow is around than not.

I would probably just start practicing my switch skiing and play slalom with the beginners and people falling :lol:

Warp Daddy

At 70 yrs old i really enjoy ripping groomers , or laying down gs arcs , or playing around on the narrower, steeper , twistier groomers . Hell i just love being out there all day long having fun with my buddies and enjoying life on the mtn.

Attitude is everything how can there EVER be a bad day of skiing ??? :smash:

C-Rex

As long as the mountain has plenty of vert I don't usually get bored. However, a place like Sundown gets boring quick since you end up spending more time on the lift than on the trails.

If there's nothing but groomers available I just rip them at near Tunaspeed and turn any roller into air time. I can have plenty of fun doing that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Depends. For me it is about how much variety of terrain I can find. Groomers are fun, but if there are only a handful of runs then yeah I might get bored. Rarely do I ski just one type of terrain....that was a real problem when it came to looking for skis because there is not really a good "all mountain" ski anymore.

MadMadWorld

I honestly can't take it. I would rather take gouges out of the bottom of my ski in the trees or skiing icy bumps

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
If it's the same two/three/four trails, yes.
If it's that way, I often look to free-range and go exploring to other ski areas, figuring I can at least find something new to put a little spice into the day.