• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's got the best core shot?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A remark in the groomer thread inspired this thread. "would rather take gouges out of the bottom of my ski in the trees or skiing icy bumps".

Who's got the best core shot (and story)? Pictures get extra credit!

Cornhead

Luckily my biggest core shot was done on rental gear. I was skiing Taos four days after an 18" storm. There was one section of the bowl I was skiing that wasn't tracked out. I made a couple passes through the untracked section unscathed. On my third trip through, I abruptly ejected, did a flip, and landed on my back on a couple feet of fluff. Looking back uphill I saw one of my skis sticking over the edge of the snow. When I went to retrieve it, it wouldn't budge. I had to pry it off the rock I'd welded it to. The core shot was a 1/4" wide, and a foot long. I skied the rest of the day convinced I would be charged for the damage I'd inflicted. Standing in line at the rental return I noticed they didn't inspect the skis being returned ahead of me, they just hung them on a rack. I thought I'd better tell them, they had my credit card number, and could charge me anyway. The guy asked if I had fun, I said yes, until I did this, showing him the foot long gash in the base. I asked if repair charges were in order, he laughed and said no. Lesson learned, if there's a section of a bowl not tracked out four days after a storm, there's probably a good reason it's not, the locals must know there's a rock garden there, tourist are on their own. Thank God I didn't bring my skis.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Well, my core shots can't match Cornheads but I've got two stories although one is more of a cap shot.

The first was at Cannon some years ago during a lean snow year. My brother and I were skiing over to the Zoomer when a patroller dropped the rope right in front of Paulies and invited us to go down. We took several runs on this along with many others and it was soon completely tracked. I noticed quite a fringe of untracked so I ventured in I didn't get very far when I was almost thrown @$$ over teakettle. At the bottom I took stock of the damage. I had to borrow a passerby's jackknife to trim the three inch curlycue that stuck out from the bottom of the ski.

The second was while at Ragged last year. There was a few inches of fresh so I had my precious Chubbs. My buddy wanted to venture into Rags to Riches and under protest I followed him in. Well it was definitely thin and scrapped and on one turn I hit something pretty solid and bent the cap enough to separate the edge from the ptex. I got it filled in with some epoxy but its definitely no longer flush in that one spot. I still ski with the Chubbs but keep that edge to the outside and never again in anything other than completely fresh snow and NO TREES. I have other tree skis now and will beat the crap out of them.

MadMadWorld

It's not the rocks that cause core shots usually it's the stumps and fallen trees. Launched a big rock in Timbuktu at Jay and stomped the landing like a baller. I landed on packed snow with the exception of a small pointy stump that went through the bottom of my ski and left the top sheet bubbled out on top. I was a little disappointed it wasn't a through and through.

drjeff

Big biggest one ever proved why the Ledge trail at Mount Snow is called the Ledge trail!! 6" or so long with about 2" of edge ripped out :eek:

That one sent a pair of Atomic B5 Metrons into permanent retirement!! :-(

goldsbar

Core shots are easy to fix. I have multiple, but none as epic as some of those described. Edge dents on the other hand... Good news is I've never ripped out an edge.

dmw

This is rather timely, noticed this today. I don't think you'd call this a core shot, but the sidewall is cracked and you can see from top sheet it's cracking across the board. Anyone have any experience with this? Probably shouldn't ride it, eh?

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1393097700.886963.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1393097726.542543.jpg

dmw

I know, I can't catch a break with this thing. Wait, I actually did...

BenedictGomez

Anyone have any experience with this? Probably shouldn't ride it, eh?

A friend of mine had a ski with a sidewall crack, probably not quite as bad as that. Long story short he went off a jump on the side of a trail at Hunter, didn't land it, and the ski was in two pieces.

dmw

Bummer that board is trouble eh? Did you ever get the edge issue solved?

Hate to say it but you might better off investing in something new instead of spending anything on repairs.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure this board is done. I did get the edges fixed, felt great - though I can feel the inside edges again a bit already with my hand.

What I don't get is I'm not a big heavy dude, and I trashed this board in 2.5 yes, and my last bindings were falling apart left and right after 40 days riding. Anyhow, back to core shots - I think this board has a tiny one of those too (not near the crack).

mishka

This is rather timely, noticed this today. I don't think you'd call this a core shot, but the sidewall is cracked and you can see from top sheet it's cracking across the board. Anyone have any experience with this? Probably shouldn't ride it, eh?

if sidewall and top sheet crocked it possibly core crocked as well.

Tin

Let's just say I love $200-$300 Ebay skis.

Mine had 6-7 core shots, I won't be doing anything else to them as you can see. I ripped the edge out last year skiing the t-bar line at Crotched in thin cover, felt the rock just pull it out. Repaired it and got it to last until my trip to Jay this year and ripped it out again on The Powerline. Fixed it again and the whole sidewall of the ski (about 4" worth) just blew out on it doing some scrapped sidecountry stuff at the Crotch. I got about 50 days out of them in a season and a half and will throw my bindings on my new Lines. Skis are tools to help me find those untracked areas and spots I dream about hitting in the summer. No regrets, R.I.P. Bridges (think I'll make the back of a chair out of them.

core shot.jpg

R.I.P. Bridge.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Let's just say I love $200-$300 Ebay skis.

Mine had 6-7 core shots, I won't be doing anything else to them as you can see. I ripped the edge out last year skiing the t-bar line at Crotched in thin cover, felt the rock just pull it out. Repaired it and got it to last until my trip to Jay this year and ripped it out again on The Powerline. Fixed it again and the whole sidewall of the ski (about 4" worth) just blew out on it doing some scrapped sidecountry stuff at the Crotch. I got about 50 days out of them in a season and a half and will throw my bindings on my new Lines. Skis are tools to help me find those untracked areas and spots I dream about hitting in the summer. No regrets, R.I.P. Bridges (think I'll make the back of a chair out of them.
Man, you are rough on those things. I guess you don't turn for rocks!

Tin

Its always the rock or wood that you don't see with a dusting on it.

So in short, I'm willing to spend a few hundred every year to avoid groomers.

Tin

Same.

Much like new cars, I don't believe I'll ever buy "new" skis again. Too many great deals with only 4,6, 12 days of skiing on them out there.

Some skis are forgotten and others are just in crazy demand, I don't think I've seen a pair of used Mantras go for under $600 with bindings. Over the summer they were all around $350. The Kung Fujis have also doubled in price. If looking new REI, Backcountry.com, etc have some amazing deals. Just grabbed some Line Influence 105s for $299 off REI.