• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Season Grade So Far

Bene288

My season has improved to a B thanks to a great day at Pico two weeks ago and my trip to Lake Tahoe. Tomorrow may bump it to B+

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
March has some great snow, but the slingshot weather continues. For example,
Mon. Tues (Mar. 10/11): Bitter cold and FG
Weds/Thurs: Rain/Snow with wind.
Friday: Powder day
Sat.: Fabulous spring skiing day.
Sunday: refreeze and back to FG

Based on a few spectacular day, does this season crawl up the ratings? I had it at D+ to C-. At most I bump it to C- to C.

JDMRoma

So Im going with a D……..too many warm ups / @ain events and then Super cold forcing all snow south of the NH Border.

Ive had a good couple of weeks since this post…..Some good dumps up north and some really Great days skiing at Cannon.

Im going to give it a B+ right now !!

steamboat1

March has some great snow, but the slingshot weather continues. For example,
Mon. Tues (Mar. 10/11): Bitter cold and FG
Weds/Thurs: Rain/Snow with wind.
Friday: Powder day
Sat.: Fabulous spring skiing day.
Sunday: refreeze and back to FG

Based on a few spectacular day, does this season crawl up the ratings? I had it at D+ to C-. At most I bump it to C- to C.

Mon. was cold but not to bad, not much wind either. Tues was bluebird & warm, almost broke out the sun block. Skiing was surprisingly good both days despite not having received substantial new snow in almost a month. 95% of the mountain was groomed, even trails that rarely see grooming. Wed. it snowed all day (at least where I was) but it wasn't cold out. Wind was not an issue. Thurs. morning was the morning to get fresh tracks with the storm ending just before lifts opened. Yes it was cold with temps never getting out of the single digits but if you dressed for the occasion it was fine. Wind didn't start honking until after 1pm despite the main summit chair being on hold for the first 2 hours of skiing. The wind blew straight up the mountain in the afternoon so while riding lifts it was at your back. Other mountains in the area had zero issues with wind holds. Friday started out cold early but quickly warmed up to the 20's by mid morning. Beautiful packed powder skiing all day. Wasn't there Sat. or Sun. so I don't know. I highly doubt it got warm enough in the higher elevations Sat. to cause a refreeze back to FG. Lower elevation areas that got rain Wed. might be experiencing this issue. I just wanted to correct your timeline for what happened weather wise this past week.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
.... I just wanted to correct your timeline for what happened weather wise this past week.

I suspect a lot depends on where you were and perception of what there was. What you said IMO wasn't a lot different from what I said, and to be sure I skied every one of those days (today is day 100 for me this season). I may be just a lot more particular about what I rate as an A or A+ day of skiing!

jack97

I judge the season by the number of times I have a sh!t eating grin I have on my face after skiing..... seems like I had a great time every time out. I would give this season an A- to A

Last edited:

bigbog

After getting out today (off-resort(JoMary Mtn)) and loving the Legend's 115mm underfoot through the EC 3-day crusty pow(though would've loved a little sidecut...and a little <115 would've been fine) sure put a grin on the face...bumped 13/14 from.....Incomplete to a B+.
Today's sun made up for the gusty winds.....

Last edited:

jack97

I'm afraid that if that was my only criterion, every season would be an A for me.

With me, after the start of the season, I will grow tire of just skiing groomers and the sh!t eating grin goes away. I remember seasons where glades and bumps were hard to find (within decent driving distance).

That's the main reason why I don't get a season pass to one area. if the place doesn't get natural snow or seed some bumps, the place gets boring to me.

pcampbell

I give it an A-. I've only been around here 4 winters and my first winter, I guess it was 10/11 seemed to be better... but this has been pretty good.

Smellytele

For me personally it has been a A. Started out great at Killington in Nov, early Dec - A+. Late Dec, Jan were not great B- but Feb/March have been A+.

ScottySkis

after this pass Sat. spring skking and seeing bikinins on wonen on slopes and fun tomes this passs winter in The Catskills oowder days i giving now a B+ .

jrmagic

I guess its a B at this point. The January thaw is the worst one I can remember of the last several years but the snow that has come since is making up for it as are the snow pack and the below average temps since January keeping the snowpack around and above average at this point. When it does warm up there should be bountiful corn harvests available to bring more smiles. If we can pull off another good storm I might be inclined to raise it to a B+

skiNEwhere

Lowered to A-. Even though this is the most I've ever gotten out, looking back I realize I always miss the big dumps by 1-2 days

BenedictGomez

I have to give this ski season an A.

If you ski in the Poconos a lot, I'd imagine you'd give it an A+ with a 100% score.