• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Season Grade So Far

ScottySkis

B + lots if great sniw in the Catskiills this winter. great days. i think my season is over. Thanks for fun tikes this yesr .

catsup948

I'm I based my winter only skiing at Berkshire East it would be a C. Several great powder days but no consistency. No spring skiing either. But given that I skied 7 other mountains this season was a solid B+ for me! More trips up north and more backcountry will help next year.

MadMadWorld

I'll go with an official B+. Not as many ski days as I would have liked and was only able to get one real powder day....DOH! On a positive note I met a ton of great AZers. I've been lucky to ski with some very good skiers that pushed my abilities and have made me a better skier because of it.

Vortex

I would say c plus. There were some un expected powder days, but the ncp and cold freeze ups seemed to follow any storm. It was cold for a good part of the season. If you go enough, you get good days and bad days no matter what year it is. No complaints and a few more weekends anyway left.

mbedle

I thought the season was pretty damn good. Got out a lot at the local place (opened in November) and spent over 3 weeks up at Stratton and Stowe. But, I'm pretty much happy with any day skiing and not working, so I give it an A. I think back at some of the really bad years in the 90's and mid 2000's and think we had it pretty good in the east.

Domeskier

I cannot grade my ski season until i'm sure Xanadu will not open before Sundown starts spinning its lifts in December.

ScottySkis

What I found interesting in that article was this:

"Dave Meeker, a spokesman at Mount Snow, said 180 inches of natural snow, a record at the resort..."
I thought they average 160 inches of snow per winter . If they average that how is 180 the most they ever got. ( Calling Dr. Jeff nd or Glen.)

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
There seemed to be different regions even within New England that might have rated this season differently. In VT, Killington and north had a better season than the rest of New England. But many in the mid-Atlantic states would have considered it the best year of the last decade.

If my understanding of statistics and "bell curves" is correct, "C" would be an average season and no more than one, (perhaps 2,) seasons in 10 deserve an "A" rating. IMO, there were at least three seasons in the last decade that were better than this season, which means, even though I personally had a great season, the season for me was at best average to average plus.

With the season down to few last gasps, any closing thoughts?

yeggous

It was also a story of elevation.

By total snowfall, New Hampshire and Maine did better than Vermont. By within that area not all areas were the same. The high elevation areas like Wildcat and Cannon got torched in January, but lower elevation areas like Attitash faired okay where cold air damning kept the precip freezing rain and preserved the base. I saw some crazy amounts of snow in the woods at Attitash this year. Overall snowfall numbers were close to average, just a bit below.

Everywhere had a strong March. Spring skiing was strangely non-existent on the weekend this year as the cold and dreary held on until the end.

I'm not sure how to assign a letter grade, but this season gets a very average rating.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app