• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What mean "shredding"?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
"Shredding" has always been a term to describe snowboarding. Since when is it now being used to describe skiing? I've heard it for the first time this year on NBC and in the Boston Globe. Dan Egan, who writes for the Globe should know better. What is going on here?

My wife argues to "shred" refers to the bad boys, while "riding" refers to the mainstream. And I always thought that "skiing" refers to skiing.

I get the feeling that the mainstream media is as confused as ever over the sport. Egan, is unexplainable.

twinplanx

I I believe Surfers were the first to "shred", for obvious reasons snowboarders adapted the term for there own applications. I ski, my brothers snowboard, when we get out on the hill we always refer to it as "skiing". Guess we are not gnarly enough to "ride" or "shred" I have to assume there are other snowboarders who refer to there activity as "skiing" or maybe I'm just old ;-)
And since some skis look more like skinny snowboards these days I think the term "shred" is applicable.
Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

KD7000

Billski, Ted Ligety would wildly disagree with your narrow definitions of "shred."

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I think it's entirely appropriate. Ripping - tearing - shredding is exactly what we all do to snow with our steely edges.

abc

I get the feeling that the mainstream media is as confused as ever over the sport. Egan, is unexplainable.
i disagree. Language evolves. What is mainstream now hasn't always been. What you considered "confused" now will be "mainstream" n in a few years.

My wife argues to "shred" refers to the bad boys, while "riding" refers to the mainstream. And I always thought that "skiing" refers to skiing.
Shredding has gone mainstream in the boarder world for quite a while already

Boarders also go "skiing"! The first few times I heard that I was really confused. So yes, "riding" is a better description.

I have to assume there are other snowboarders who refer to there activity as "skiing" or maybe I'm just old :wink:
Heard that most often when the boarder used to ski ;)

Rowsdower

"Guy can rip" or "Guy can shred" means somebody can get crazy on their board. "Shredding" is akin to "Getting rad", and implies you're doing something extreme. Otherwise its just riding.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've heard of shedding a hat or jacket on a warm day, but not shredding.

Didn't realize you were so new school, boat.

Cannonball

My whole family snowboards and we often refer to it as "skiing". For example, in another thread I just wrote " This week was some of the best conditions I've ever skied" when in reality 4 out 5 days this week I snowboarded. "skiing" is just an easier word to use compared to "boarded", "rode", or "snowboarded" all of which are either clunky or vague. "riding" gets confused with mtn biking, especially now that everyone is doing winter riding. "boarded" is what you did with your dog so you could go skiing.

"shredding" is most definitely not exclusive to snowboarding. It never was. At this point it's mostly used ironically to goof on people who take themselves too seriously. Although I'm not above saying "whoa, Bode was shredding that course until he blew it."

Dan Eagan has been shredding for decades, he can call it whatever he wants.

Last edited:

Cornhead

I've heard of shedding a hat or jacket on a warm day, but not shredding.

Didn't realize you were so new school, boat.

Yeah, that'd get expensive, shredding layers.;) This thread brought back memories of raising my Son, here's Shredder.
uploadfromtaptalk1393158482675.jpg
TMNT

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Ted Shred.

tedligety-world-cup-shred.jpg

gmcunni

I like to shred brewskis after a day of skiing :)
hey, meant to check with you.. i was at teh Upper Pass Lodge (magic) Friday night, they had tv in the lobby showing vidoes, I'm pretty sure your magic powder day was in the mix. I didn't see the part where you hit the tree but the flapping pole straps and red skis were a dead give away.