• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk Mountain 2/21-2/23, 2014

4aprice

PA Cup races 6,7, & 8 this past weekend at Elk Mountain. Always love the weekend we get to spend at Elk and this year was no exception. Friday was a morning of foggy groomers on the west side before taking in the boys 1st run. Good snow that cut like butter. The break for lunch after run # 1 was as far as we got as it really started to rain after lunch and since the fog was so thick that one couldn't really see the race we stayed in the lodge and followed the results on live timing. Probably rained about 3/4 of an inch in the afternoon basically stopping just before we left.

Saturday and Sunday were just great spring like days. Each morning started out below freezing but made for some nice cruising on fresh stiff cord. Ah but the sun was also working its magic as by about 10:30 each day the bumps started coming into play and Elk has some great bumps runs. Upper Tunk of course is the best bump run in PA, but also had a ball on Chippawah, and a really neat set of bumps were on Tioga Spur. The wife and I did these several times as there was a groomed strip for an out right next to the bumps which make her much more comfortable. To her credit she stayed in the bumps for the most part and skied them well till her legs were toast. Lots of good tailgating going on in the upper lot by the west side lifts.

Been a great February for the Pocono's. From the beginning of the month at Blue through Camelback last weekend and now Elk I gotten some truly great skiing in. While I look forward to my travel season (VT/NH) in March this season is going to be one that will be remembered. People can Poo-Poo the Pocono's all they want but this season has truly been hot. All of the 3 areas I mentioned should have a great spring.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cornhead

Scotty and I decided on an afternoon at Elk Saturday. I almost always go there for opening, it was weird parking on the other side of the road. I was afraid the lift lines would be insane, but they weren't terrible, 5 minute wait max. The mid forties temps felt like mid sixties after the cold we've been skiing in all month, awesome.
uploadfromtaptalk1393236003060.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393236032175.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1393236056258.jpg
Awesome views from the top...for Pennsylvania

uploadfromtaptalk1393236130364.jpg
Great picnic spot, the original lodge.

uploadfromtaptalk1393236199166.jpg
Instant grill, just add meat.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

4aprice

The Great Scotty was there?, and I didn't get to meet??? I'm bummed. Would have loved to take a run with you guys. Was skiing in a green Camelback Ski Team hoodie Saturday afternoon. Tunk was a blast and man there were some good skiers on that trail. Legs are letting me know about it this morning.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cornhead

The Great Scotty was there?, and I didn't get to meet??? I'm bummed. Would have loved to take a run with you guys. Was skiing in a green Camelback Ski Team hoodie Saturday afternoon. Tunk was a blast and man there were some good skiers on that trail. Legs are letting me know about it this morning.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
SCOTTY.jpg
Here be the elusive Scotty, sorta dressed like a pirate Saturday, arrrgg!
scotty 2.jpg
He be in this photo too...arrrrgg!

We conducted a "safety meeting" in the trees skier's right on Susquehanna, then proceeded down the trail under the two doubles, boy did that feel weird, icy bumps, no Sun in there, with people overhead no matter where you were, buttery turns once out of the bumps. We never did hit Tunk, but skied all the other natural trails, they were great.

ScottySkis

Sat. was great. sorry i didnt get to meet Alex. warmest day of the saeson for me spring soft snow all day and sun tanning.to.

Last edited: