• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How are conditions this week?

dlague

Anyone been to Jay lately? I have a pair of passes I need to use but I'm hoping they'll get some snow so the woods will be in play...

Ok just got the word from the peeps at Jay Peak who have skied all day! Conditions are really good and the Woods are in play! Now I am fired up!

JDMRoma

Just got back from BW……Groomers are all skiing fine but the Glades….not so much.

Only good thing to say is there is a Great Base, Rock hard solid ice…….Need snow Bigtime.

dusting and 1 or 2 inches won't fix much…….and from the people I talked to on the lifts that basically sums up Northern NH.
If its not Groomed its basic Dust on crust or just plain Crust…….I jumped into almost all the glades today just to check em out……..nothing good in the woods right now.

Maybe Jay ?

dlague

Just got back from BW……Groomers are all skiing fine but the Glades….not so much.

Only good thing to say is there is a Great Base, Rock hard solid ice…….Need snow Bigtime.

dusting and 1 or 2 inches won't fix much…….and from the people I talked to on the lifts that basically sums up Northern NH.
If its not Groomed its basic Dust on crust or just plain Crust…….I jumped into almost all the glades today just to check em out……..nothing good in the woods right now.

Maybe Jay ?

Yup Jay!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

gregnye

I have been reading some of the condition reports of the randomly picked ski areas and they all paint a rosy picture. Have you ever noticed that the condition reports never read like the trip reports that are posted when conditions are harsh. I am talking about condition reports and trip reports for the same day.

It's interesting isn't it? Only in the east do they feel like they need to "drum up business" and write a paragraph to exaggerate conditions. Mountains in the western states like Copper, Breckenridge, Vail and Arapahoe just simply list the amount of snow they got and say "come". :p

dlague

It's interesting isn't it? Only in the east do they feel like they need to "drum up business" and write a paragraph to exaggerate conditions. Mountains in the western states like Copper, Breckenridge, Vail and Arapahoe just simply list the amount of snow they got and say "come". :p

I decided to check it out a bit and it is true that they do not hype it up much but they sure do tweet it and facebook the heck out of it. The larger resorts out West are much more media savvy then most on the east! Look at Breckenridge and Vail as two examples. Personally I do not really care since I will ski what I get and the condition reports are not my gauge.

bdfreetuna

Leaning towards Sugarbush South for Sunday. They are at 100%. I figure it might be a little scratchy anywhere I go.. so I might as well get some good woods and bump skiing in.

steamboat1

K was pretty good Tues.-Thurs.. It's all on groomers but they have everything groomed. Your typical bump runs such as Vagabond, North Star, Great Bear, Escapade, all groomed, even Vertigo. Some of the trails had bumps on the sides or seeded but overall the mountain is groomed. Picked up an inch maybe a little more everyday. Trails that only got the once over with the groomers are slicker than the trails that get the everyday groom but still pretty good. The everyday groomers are very good. The 9am groomers were spectacular for several runs.(not to many people there). Can you say cord? Runs of the day (everyday) were Vagabond, Northstar, Great Bear, Upper Chute on Snowdon. Nobody skied them & with an inch of fresh everyday they were nice (especially today). Superstar has a shitload of fresh soft man made snow on it. Bear probably had the best groomers on the mountain. Home tonight, driving back up tomorrow. I'll be at Middlebury Sat. & who knows Sun.

Last edited:

dlague

At Waterville all groomers so far on one set of bumps that were hard as rock so will stick to groomers and have fun with it! Went into a glade and the is maybe 2-3 inches on crust. The groomers have a mix of some new snow and groomer tilled on frozen hard pack! Skis pretty well! Not a lot of people here - must be the cold! Windy as hell up top!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone