Bike Log 2014

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bike Log 2014

Bike Log 2014

First road ride of the year yesterday, Yeh I know I should have been skiing!
    but I had to be home Sunday for a family commitment in mid afternoon so I had a few free hours.

37.0 miles on the heavy cross bike with fenders only averaged 15.3mph, I felt like a slug especially on the 3 mile hill.

It's going to take a few weeks/months to get back into shape! Downhill skiing 2 day per week and 2-3 indoor workouts per week just doesn't cut it. Maybe I should do some spinning in winter?

Anyway it was great to be out and get some fresh air!!

I couldn't believe how much sand was on the roads, some roads were completely covered. Lots of potholes too, this winter really trashed the local roads.

I was wondering how long it would take for the first bike log entry of 2014.... Nice work!
    Brian

First ride yesterday. The day started sunny and nice...by 3 it was nippy. 21 miles in 70 minutes. IT felt great for the first ride but so humbling as I was sucking wind on the climbs. I busted hump all winter to avoid the suck...

I wonder how long it will take me to get back into normal riding shape?! Regardless, outside > gym.

Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    First ride yesterday. The day started sunny and nice...by 3 it was nippy. 21 miles in 70 minutes. IT felt great for the first ride but so humbling as I was sucking wind on the climbs. I busted hump all winter to avoid the suck...

I wonder how long it will take me to get back into normal riding shape?! Regardless, outside > gym.
    That a nice average speed for your first ride especially with wind, about 18mph. Looks like you are already in pretty good shape so it shouldn't take too long .

I'm itching to get back out on my MTB. I think there's some spots that are finally dry enough to ride around here, so hopefully soon!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I'm itching to get back out on my MTB. I think there's some spots that are finally dry enough to ride around here, so hopefully soon!
    Amen. It's still exceedingly wet in the woods. Last year, most of the local stuff opened up officially on May 1st. It will take a few weeks of straight dry weather to make that mark this year. Kingdom Trails sent out a statement saying their goal of May 1st is lofty if not entirely unattainable.

Just cranked out 100ish miles in Moab in the past week and a nice little spin along the Platte in Nebraska today. Hoping to find some semi dry trails in NE mass upon returning this weekend. I'm sure southern nh is still wet.

Quote Originally Posted by BackLoafRiver View Post
    Amen. It's still exceedingly wet in the woods. Last year, most of the local stuff opened up officially on May 1st. It will take a few weeks of straight dry weather to make that mark this year. Kingdom Trails sent out a statement saying their goal of May 1st is lofty if not entirely unattainable.
    One bonus to living down this way I suppose, our stuff dries out faster...
    Brian

Got my first two MTB rides of the season in over the weekend. The trails are in way better shape than I was expecting. Saturday I set out to do a quick exploratory walk to check the conditions out. I threw my bike in the car just in case, and I'm glad I did. It didn't take me long into my walk to realize the everything was dry and good go, so I turned around and grabbed the bike. It was getting late (and I'm fat) , so I only got 2.1 miles in. Sunday I went back for more and rode a fun 8 miles.

Felt great to be back out!
    Brian

I am jealous. Saturday was the perfect day to ride up here (road anyway) and I had to work all day.

It's impressive you guys are dry and rolling. I still speculate that we are several weeks out.

Edit - I meant to mention that I got out for my second ride on Friday. 23 miles in 1 hour, 13 minutes. Still slow.
    Last edited by BackLoafRiver; Apr 14, 2014 at 9:46 AM.

Thread Information