• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log 2014

BackLoafRiver

Rode 30 miles of trail on Monday and Tuesday of this week (before the rain). I love spending summers in Orono as there is such a wide range of trail. From super tech to fast and flow, the only thing missing is elevation.

Here are a few pics of the university of Maine trails. There must be at least 50 miles worth in the area. (Sorry about the crappy cell pics). These are from one of the original trails in the network.
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1407459639.532892.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1407459665.799467.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1407459696.494374.jpg

vermonter44

Got about 20 miles in here in Philly at wissahickon

Haven't been riding as much as I've wanted to thus year so it felt good to be in the bike

Attachments

• 1407887781968.jpg
    1407887781968.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 58

snoseek

34 miles today @ kingdom, 4 or so road, the rest trail. Looks like an inch or two of rain (its summer, I can say RAIN right?) tomorrow so im hiking. Hopefully get a good ride in on Darling hill on Thursday

ScottySkis

Friday Lippman Park lots miles on blue and easy trails nice park lower south Catskills on 209 close to Elenville. Probaly 4 good hours bike bag from walmar for 20 is coming in handy so is bike goggles. This summer beeen nice not to hot great to be outside in enjoying.

BackLoafRiver

3 days of biking in the NEK for my bachelor party. Spent Monday with 3 biking newbies checking out Bemis and Loop as well as a few easier things on the Darling hill side. Wednesday was more of the same except we tallied over 20 miles. (Could have been significantly higher but the first 9 miles were with the new guys.)

The highlight of the trip was getting shuttled to the mid-mountain lodge and checking out the new flow trail "Rolly Grail". Once we finished, we saw a family that had come down one of the other trails. As we watched, we overheard he daughter yell to her dad that the son was hurt. We raced our bikes up a few hundred feet until the dad yelled down to us that they were ok. At that point, we decided to finish hiking with our bikes to the mid lift station. I'm not sure what the total elevation gain was but it was definitely a hike. It was my first time riding a downhill trail. We opted for Jester. Easily some of the most fun I've ever had on a bike! I could go on and on about the trail but I'll just leave it that I will be back again to do some more lift serviced riding. (This time with the lift)

Amazing week. I have a few pics I'll throw up on here when I can

drjeff

29 SWEATY road miles at an 18.3 average with 1300 feet of climbing after work tonight. Kind of sad that me and my ride partners need to scale back the evening miles due to decreasing sunlight :-(

Tonight put me through 1250 miles on the roads this season, with the Flattest Century East Coast coming up this Sunday for me :)

I was just hoping to equal my last season's mileage total which was just over 1000 miles, this year, but after my century this weekend I think that 1500 miles is a reasonable goal for my outdoor season this year!

mlctvt

29 SWEATY road miles at an 18.3 average with 1300 feet of climbing after work tonight. Kind of sad that me and my ride partners need to scale back the evening miles due to decreasing sunlight :-(

Tonight put me through 1250 miles on the roads this season, with the Flattest Century East Coast coming up this Sunday for me :)

I was just hoping to equal my last season's mileage total which was just over 1000 miles, this year, but after my century this weekend I think that 1500 miles is a reasonable goal for my outdoor season this year!

Enjoy TFCE Dr Jeff! That's always a great ride ; and it was also my first century ride back in the 1980s.
My wife and I did this ride almost every year from 1987 until 2 years ago when we started to do the COVAC century instead for a change. We still think TFCE is the best run century ride.
We are tied up this weekend running a cycling weekend in Northern VT but we hope to get back to TFCE next year.

mlctvt

August was nice weather but I was down this year for some reason, probably because no miles the first weekend of the month. The only weekend since March that I didn't ride at all.

2011 Road miles__________ 2012 Road Miles_______ 2013 Road Miles______ 2014 Road Miles
February 24 miles_________ February 24 miles______February 0 miles______ February 24 miles
March 129 miles __________ March 248 miles_______ March 142 miles ______ March 28 miles
April 360 miles____________ April 386 miles________ April 366 miles _______ April 411 miles
ay 582 miles____________ May 457 miles ________ May 479 miles__________ May 578 miles
June 668 miles___________ June 416 miles ________ June 593 miles _______ June 876 miles
July 923 miles___________ July 673 miles _________ July 671 miles ________ July 794 miles
August 472 miles_________ August 612 miles ______ August 903 miles______ August 502 Miles
Sept 572 miles___________ Sept 644 miles________ Sept 723 miles
October 239 miles________ October 242 miles______ October 361 miles
November 139 miles______ November 117 miles ____November 102 miles
December 0 miles________ December 0 Miles ______ December 38 miles
2011 total 4108 miles_____ 2012 total 3819 miles___ 2013 total 4378 miles___ 2014 total 3213 miles so far

bvibert

Staff member
I slacked waaaaay off in the last couple of months. As a matter of fact, aside from a ~3 mile kids ride that I led a few weeks ago, I can't remember the last time I rode... I'm leading another kids ride on Sunday, hopefully I can keep up with my 7 year old! :roll:

BackLoafRiver

Did some exploring on Sunday of the West End Trails in Yarmouth. In short: Super fun, no real elevation, beautiful costal views.

There has been a LOT of work going on here and the main trail runs directly onto Cousin's Island. The nab is, the map isn't 100% clear so it is easy to miss a KEY turn. For instance, I missed it, ended up riding an extra 4 miles on the road before realizing I had done it. Went back, looked more carefully and...boom. Found it. The Greater Portland Nemba chapter has done a lot of bridge work. Tons of buffed out singletrack along the power lines and some crushed rock to help with water.

Definitely worth a trip back. I speculate there is about 13 - 15 miles (out and back) to be had. I rode most of it. The system is expanding at a rapid rate. I met up with a couple of girls at the end where we all decided it would be bushwhack city if we continued. So much potential.

If you happen to be up in the area, it's a great alternative to Bradbury.

Riverskier

Did some exploring on Sunday of the West End Trails in Yarmouth. In short: Super fun, no real elevation, beautiful costal views.

There has been a LOT of work going on here and the main trail runs directly onto Cousin's Island. The nab is, the map isn't 100% clear so it is easy to miss a KEY turn. For instance, I missed it, ended up riding an extra 4 miles on the road before realizing I had done it. Went back, looked more carefully and...boom. Found it. The Greater Portland Nemba chapter has done a lot of bridge work. Tons of buffed out singletrack along the power lines and some crushed rock to help with water.

Definitely worth a trip back. I speculate there is about 13 - 15 miles (out and back) to be had. I rode most of it. The system is expanding at a rapid rate. I met up with a couple of girls at the end where we all decided it would be bushwhack city if we continued. So much potential.

If you happen to be up in the area, it's a great alternative to Bradbury.

Holy crap! I just moved (back for me) to Yarmouth fairly near Cousins Island and the power lines are about 100 yards through the woods from my apartment. I had heard something a while back about trail building, but knew nothing about it and have just been going to Bradbury to ride. Very exciting to hear that I can ride from my door. Thanks for the heads up, will have to check it out!

BackLoafRiver

Holy crap! I just moved (back for me) to Yarmouth fairly near Cousins Island and the power lines are about 100 yards through the woods from my apartment. I had heard something a while back about trail building, but knew nothing about it and have just been going to Bradbury to ride. Very exciting to hear that I can ride from my door. Thanks for the heads up, will have to check it out!

Hit me up if you're ever looking to do some exploring but not into the solo-ride thing. The network is cool. DEFINITELY check out the stuff near the Tyler Technologies lot. (the opposite end from Cousins Island) The yellow trail in particular has some interesting character.

Riverskier

Hit me up if you're ever looking to do some exploring but not into the solo-ride thing. The network is cool. DEFINITELY check out the stuff near the Tyler Technologies lot. (the opposite end from Cousins Island) The yellow trail in particular has some interesting character.

Will do that. Where is Tyler Technologies? I know every road in town (grew up here) but can't picture where they are located.

BackLoafRiver

Will do that. Where is Tyler Technologies? I know every road in town (grew up here) but can't picture where they are located.

1 tyler Drive in Yarmouth...right off RT 1 as you go over 295. (heading south on 1) Basically the lot is at the top of Tyler Drive. (google Patriot Insurance) Go to the tippity top, look to your left, and you will see a sign with a map and the trail head.

Riverskier

1 tyler Drive in Yarmouth...right off RT 1 as you go over 295. (heading south on 1) Basically the lot is at the top of Tyler Drive. (google Patriot Insurance) Go to the tippity top, look to your left, and you will see a sign with a map and the trail head.

Rode some of this today and what I rode was sweet! After an unsuccessful attempt at bushwacking over to the power lines from my apartment, I rode a half mile down to Route 88 and found the blue trail. I rode that up to Tyler Technologies and on the way noticed a trail, complete with a bridge, right over to my apartment complex. The trail is literally 100 yards out my back door! I rode the yellow trail back to 88 and wanted to head out toward Cousins Island, but it started downpouring so I took the rode a half mile back home. Great riding right in my backyard! I can't wait to check out the rest of it. Thanks for posting about this!

BackLoafRiver

I've been meaning to post some stuff for a while from my bachelor party but I am just now getting shots in.

FWIW - we went to KT for 3 days. Best weekend I've had in forever. The highlight was my brother eating it twice on two little stunts. I have 3 screen shots from the second. I have video of both, which I will post when I get it uploaded to youtube but, I figure those of you who ride will appreciate this:
My brother (in red) discussing the line:

attachment.php

In fairness, if he hadn't adjusted his front wheel, he would have cleared it. He didn't...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lyle 1.jpg
    Lyle 1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 6.06.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 6.06.18 PM.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 6.06.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 6.06.34 PM.jpg