• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Inside Edition investigates pot-smoking skiers at Breckenridge

BenedictGomez

Most media is terrible and I pay little attention. As for getting high, its not for me, never really was. I get my highs from a 20' kicker! I dont think anyone should be on the mountain inebriated whether from smoking, drinking or whatever your drug of choice happens to be. I have nothing against pot, I dont care if its legal or not but dont bring it around me, my house or my car. I dont drink until im done skiing for the day. If you have the mountain to yourself, do what you want. While my friends, myself, kids and other people are present that you can hurt from your poor life choices, be responsible and wait until the end of the day.

Agreed.

MidnightJester

Everyone now look up at your next ski lift/chair or Gondola. I mean you never ever ever see any smoking or drinking on the ride up. Noooo Never. Now for the question on riding blitzed. I am more in fear of a drunk skier/boarder then a high one. By alot

bdfreetuna

Am I sensing a double standard here? It's common for people to have a beer or two in the afternoon and continue skiing. I don't see them taking any flack. It's generally accepted that pot causes less loss of motor coordination compared to alcohol. It is also less prone to lead to bad judgement.

So I think if we can accept that people can ski on a couple beers than we should accept that they can ski on a couple puffs.

I would also say people should not be skiing/riding after more than 2-3 beers depending on the person and the amount of cannabis would depend greatly on the person's tolerance. Personally I can usually smoke a few hits before any substantial effects take place.

I don't yet have kids so my attitude may change down the road, but I would have to apply that evenly to any substance which can inebriate.

MidnightJester

2 or 3 beers. try 6-8 if not more. I watch 2 or 3 drinks in 45 minutes at a lot of the ski bars plus they have a wine sack. Many camelbacks on mountain don't have water or juice in them. Honestly my pocket usually has a water bottle in it that is anything but water.

snoseek

I agree with tuna...paid amateurs....idiots probably did it for their 15 minutes.

I smoke and ski, never more than a few tokes at a time, but do almost daily. Today I puffed on hash and skied chair ten and guess what? I didn't crash or take anybody out. It affects different people different ways. If anything I ski/drive safer as it mellows me out and slows me down. This is not the case with alcohol

MidnightJester

Every Snow mountain in the US, Right this second!! Wishes they could sell 2 or 3 times their total beer,wine,hard-alcohol they are selling right now. Just as they also know a lot of skiiers and boarders smoke and just want it on the DOWN LOW.Those two boarders crashed mostly cause they were trying to show off, I watched it twice. Then cause they are Idots. The smoking would be the last factor in my books. Take that Ms. New lady.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

If anything those 2 last guys were Idots that like to toke. they give toking a bad name. Some people I ride with smoke and they are no different before of after with their crashing. Those two boarders crashed mostly cause they were trying to show off, I watched it twice. Then cause they are Idots. The smoking would be the last factor in my books.

skiNEwhere

Those two boarders crashed mostly cause they were trying to show off, I watched it twice. Then cause they are Idots. The smoking would be the last factor in my books.

Or because they were trying to hotdog it for the camera. I'd like to see if they acted the same way with a hidden camera. But that wouldn't support the story would it?

ceo

I had the misfortune of seeing that segment while stuck in a place with a TV I couldn't turn off. Watching that thing killed more of my brain cells than all of the dope I have ever smoked (which admittedly isn't a huge amount). As if I needed a reminder why I got rid of my TV over a decade ago and have never missed it.

bdfreetuna

If you are, it's in your own mind given nobody in this thread to date has claimed it's okay to ski drunk.

Skiing "drunk" is different than skiing after drinking a couple beers. Just like skiing "stoned out of your mind" is different than skiing "after a toke or two and now feeling very fresh indeed".

What I think we should be condemning is a certain level of intoxication, irrelevant of the substance consumed. If you don't like substance A. vs substance B., that's your preference. But let's not pretend that it's not possible for the majority of psychoactive substances to be consumed in minute quantities with minor effects.

In other words I'd rather be skiing around a bunch of people on 45 micrograms of LSD (a very small but noticeable dose) than having just consumed three cocktails at the bar for lunch.

I'm not saying skiing intoxicated at all is good.. because skiing is dangerous enough already.. but when it comes to pot vs. alcohol on the slopes in terms of safety, I think it's a clear cut case just like operating a motor vehicle. Stoned is simply safer for most people.

Benedict this rant isn't directed at you I'm just speaking my mind and your comment provided the launching point for that.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

What I think we should be condemning is a certain level of intoxication, irrelevant of the substance consumed.

Again..........which is exactly what was/is occurring in this thread.

Everyone here is in complete agreement. Harmony. Stars & moon align.

Benedict this rant isn't directed at you I'm just speaking my mind and your comment provided the launching point for that.

And it shouldn't be directed at me, given I'm not saying what you're suggesting...........and again...... neither is ANYONE (literally, not a single poster) thus far in this entire thread.

You seem to want to have a boxing match on that subject, when the reality is there's nobody to have that fight with in this thread.

mulva

Skiing "drunk" is different than skiing after drinking a couple beers. Just like skiing "stoned out of your mind" is different than skiing "after a toke or two and now feeling very fresh indeed".

What I think we should be condemning is a certain level of intoxication, irrelevant of the substance consumed. If you don't like substance A. vs substance B., that's your preference. But let's not pretend that it's not possible for the majority of psychoactive substances to be consumed in minute quantities with minor effects.

In other words I'd rather be skiing around a bunch of people on 45 micrograms of LSD (a very small but noticeable dose) than having just consumed three cocktails at the bar for lunch.

I'm not saying skiing intoxicated at all is good.. because skiing is dangerous enough already.. but when it comes to pot vs. alcohol on the slopes in terms of safety, I think it's a clear cut case just like operating a motor vehicle. Stoned is simply safer for most people.

This is what I came here to say basically. There's a point where it makes no sense to go further and it's usually just one or two beers at lunch for me but I normally just apres. I get a way better buzz off of skiing the s#!t out of the mountain anyway.

bdfreetuna

Again..........which is exactly what was/is occurring in this thread.

Everyone here is in complete agreement. Harmony. Stars & moon align.

And it shouldn't be directed at me, given I'm not saying what you're suggesting...........and again...... neither is ANYONE (literally, not a single poster) thus far in this entire thread.

You seem to want to have a boxing match on that subject, when the reality is there's nobody to have that fight with in this thread.

I could be trolling this thread without even doing it intentionally. I think you have me convinced. Backing down from my soap box.. it was fun while it lasted.

Rowsdower

The problem is when some irresponsible person decides to get smashed then hit the mountain. Personally I could never drink until I'm off the mountain and gotten something in my stomach. Alcohol doesn't agree with me on an empty stomach. I stopped smoking when I was 19 as well. Not my bag.