• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Inside Edition investigates pot-smoking skiers at Breckenridge

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Breckenridge_2-13-2011-Leos-Cabin3_op_950x535.jpg

http://www.insideedition.com/videos/2262-inside-edition-investigates-pot-smoking-skiers

I haven't finished watching the video yet but apparently they use this "smoke shack" out at Breckenridge as part of the story. I saw a post on Facebook that following this report this shack was destroyed, but I can't confirm that.

http://www.insideedition.com/investigative/7799-inside-edition-investigates-pot-smoking-skiers

We placed hidden cameras inside and discovered people streaming in and out all day, almost every one of them for one reason only: to get high.

Our cameras captured one skier take puff after puff after puff. An Inside Edition producer caught up with him before he took off down the mountain, “You were smoking nonstop up there. Are you safe to ski down the mountain?”

“Absolutely,” said the skier. “I'm 100% safe to ski.”

skiNEwhere

I saw that on unofficial networks the other day. I'm not for or against pot, but their "reporting" methods really pissed me off. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation! If they really wanted to make a case, I'd like to see a baseline, that is, them snowboarding while sober. I mean they could've not been very good and careless to begin with

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I saw that on unofficial networks the other day. I'm not for or against pot, but their "reporting" methods really pissed me off. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation! If they really wanted to make a case, I'd like to see a baseline, that is, them snowboarding while sober. I mean they could've not been very good and careless to begin with

Yeah, inside edition is designed to "incite the masses" by using media trickery and emotional editing. I find it completely lame also. Most of the time, I'm sure it's not all wrong, but still.

JimG.

Staff member
It would be a shame if they did destroy that hut...quite an engineering marvel.

JimG.

Staff member
I wonder if Inside Edition ever goes in the bar to track people who drink and then slide.

jimmywilson69

That is the most complex smoke Shack I have ever seen. I mean there are windows, LOL

Who says pot makes you lazy...

And my response to that article can be seen in the follow video clip

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

I mean come on...People will toke one anywhere in the woods.They certainly don't need a building.For 15 years the old shack at the top of Mittersill served the same purpose and looked about the same condition.Me,I'd rather be in the woods than confined in building.

Attachments

• mittersill shack.jpg
    mittersill shack.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Well those two tools who smoked up to prove how well they could ride stoned certainly didn't help the cause. They really suck at riding and they are dangerous on the hill. I doubt they ride any better without a buzz. I am 100% sure they are idiots either way.

I don't usually ski stoned because it makes me a bit nervous about falling and I'm generally not as aggressive or confident. That's just my preference though, I smoke pretty much every night otherwise.

That is a sweet shack though. Never seen anything like it.

Also, F**k Inside Edition for pulling this sneaky, intrusive, invasive narc-y stunt.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Most media is terrible and I pay little attention. As for getting high, its not for me, never really was. I get my highs from a 20' kicker! I dont think anyone should be on the mountain inebriated whether from smoking, drinking or whatever your drug of choice happens to be. I have nothing against pot, I dont care if its legal or not but dont bring it around me, my house or my car. I dont drink until im done skiing for the day. If you have the mountain to yourself, do what you want. While my friends, myself, kids and other people are present that you can hurt from your poor life choices, be responsible and wait until the end of the day. Crash into me by mistake and I will understand that accidents happen. If you are under the influence you are getting a tow down the mountain from the ski patrol.....

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't really mind assumign you know your limits. In Europe, they have ski-up bars that you can get a beer or a schnapps. It's awesome. But, you do need to have self control and understand your limits. When you are tired at the end of a long day, a schnapps and some steep technical pitches isn't a great idea. But this is when groomers aren't boring hahaha

Cannonball

Well those two tools who smoked up to prove how well they could ride stoned certainly didn't help the cause. They really suck at riding and they are dangerous on the hill. I doubt they ride any better without a buzz. I am 100% sure they are idiots either way.

I'm 99% sure those guys were paid actors for the sake of that story.

HowieT2

"If I say this beach is safe to surf, this beach is safe to surf."

in all seriousness, I think there is a lot less inebriated skiing then there was in the 60-80s. back then, I get the sense that everyone was drinking and skiing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Most media is terrible and I pay little attention. As for getting high, its not for me, never really was. I get my highs from a 20' kicker! I dont think anyone should be on the mountain inebriated whether from smoking, drinking or whatever your drug of choice happens to be. I have nothing against pot, I dont care if its legal or not but dont bring it around me, my house or my car. I dont drink until im done skiing for the day. If you have the mountain to yourself, do what you want. While my friends, myself, kids and other people are present that you can hurt from your poor life choices, be responsible and wait until the end of the day. Crash into me by mistake and I will understand that accidents happen. If you are under the influence you are getting a tow down the mountain from the ski patrol.....

woah, lighten up Francis.

It's obviously uncool to be so impaired that you cause an accident, no matter what you're doing in life. But, to respond to such a person with violence? yeah, maybe it's you who could use a little doobie.