• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Inside Edition investigates pot-smoking skiers at Breckenridge

thetrailboss

Staff member
Exactly the point I was going to bring up...

Breckenridge exists within the White River National Forest. From what I could find and understand the construction of a permanent structure is illegal within the National Forest and I will assume no permit was given for it... Therefore this was an illegal structure that they have every right to demolish, along with rest of them. Nothing left to argue.

Was it something that they jerry-rigged? It almost looks like a historic structure.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This basic assertion, that being high somehow makes you SAFER, has been made a couple times in this thread and it is absurd.

Just like with alcohol there is a difference been imbibing and being intoxicated but being "high" is being intoxicated plain and simple.

Yeah I agree. I generally have no problem with folks smoking so long as it does not impact me.

C-Rex

This basic assertion, that being high somehow makes you SAFER, has been made a couple times in this thread and it is absurd.

Just like with alcohol there is a difference been imbibing and being intoxicated but being "high" is being intoxicated plain and simple.

My comment wasn't just my opinion. It's been backed up by a number of studies. Just recently a police chief in Mass was quoted as saying pretty much what I said. I'm not saying people don't do dumb things when high, but the things they do are much different than people who are drunk. Drunk people overestimate their skills, lose their inhabitions, and take unnecessary risks. High (on marijuana) people do things like stop at green lights and drive far under the speed limit.

So I'm going to assume you are another of those inexperienced people I was talking about. Allow me to explain. Being high is not necessarily being intoxicated. It doesn't work like alcohol. With booze, you get more and more impaired as you drink. You don't get higher and higher as you smoke. You will get high off 2 hits or 20 and the difference is usually pretty minimal. The difference really is in the person. A guy who smokes all the time will not be nearly as impaired from X amount of pot as a newby will from the same amount. Also, the initial 20-30 minutes of a high is much more intense than the next 2 or 3 hours. My point is that you can not make a comparison between alcohol and marijuana because they are far to different in their effect.

snoseek

Stirring the pot is fine! Breck was going to get flack by "allowing" the activity so they had to do something. Why not blow it to hell?

I wont shed a tear for a hippie who needs to find another place to toke up.

Cool, take em all down and we'll just fire it up on the gondy...I'm sure you and your family will love the smell.

skiNEwhere

I like how this story tries to give them impression that people smoking while skiing/riding is a brand new thing since pot was legalized in Colorado</sarcasm>

dlague

I like how this story tries to give them impression that people smoking while skiing/riding is a brand new thing since pot was legalized in Colorado</sarcasm>

I have never seen anyone doing one hitters on a chair lift and I have never been in a Gondola that smelled Mary Jane, nope must be something new!

The shacks were just for socialization and slight of hand!

snoseek

Yeah, im pretty sure you could scrape the walls at the rockhouse in Loveland and get high on he resin lol

thetrailboss

Staff member
My comment wasn't just my opinion. It's been backed up by a number of studies. Just recently a police chief in Mass was quoted as saying pretty much what I said. I'm not saying people don't do dumb things when high, but the things they do are much different than people who are drunk. Drunk people overestimate their skills, lose their inhabitions, and take unnecessary risks. High (on marijuana) people do things like stop at green lights and drive far under the speed limit.

So I'm going to assume you are another of those inexperienced people I was talking about. Allow me to explain. Being high is not necessarily being intoxicated. It doesn't work like alcohol. With booze, you get more and more impaired as you drink. You don't get higher and higher as you smoke. You will get high off 2 hits or 20 and the difference is usually pretty minimal. The difference really is in the person. A guy who smokes all the time will not be nearly as impaired from X amount of pot as a newby will from the same amount. Also, the initial 20-30 minutes of a high is much more intense than the next 2 or 3 hours. My point is that you can not make a comparison between alcohol and marijuana because they are far to different in their effect.

Yeah but marijuana and alcohol both impair you and your judgment. Sorry, but it's the truth.

snoseek

Yeah but marijuana and alcohol both impair you and your judgment. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Yeah, but the ski areas make a TON of money selling booze. I'll admit that both impair the user but In my personal experience booze is FAR more dangerous...I'll rarely drink more than one and ski. As a somewhat regular smoker (more vaper these days) It has much less effect. The same could not be said for someone who rarely smokes, everyone is different.

snoseek

Also, If you're a drinker, even a casual one and argue against weed being legal then in my eyes you lack the ability to think rationally or even form your own decisions. I mean really, what's the argument? There is no argument....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, but the ski areas make a TON of money selling booze. I'll admit that both impair the user but In my personal experience booze is FAR more dangerous...I'll rarely drink more than one and ski. As a somewhat regular smoker (more vaper these days) It has much less effect. The same could not be said for someone who rarely smokes, everyone is different.

They both impair though.

And as to why there is a push to legalize marijuana, I'd say that most of the impetus behind legalizing (small) amounts of marijuana came from the fact that many taxpayers don't want to pay to prosecute or imprison folks for mere possession.

bdfreetuna

I have never seen anyone doing one hitters on a chair lift and I have never been in a Gondola that smelled Mary Jane, nope must be something new!

The shacks were just for socialization and slight of hand!

edit: nevermind I missed the sarcasm.

See? I guess marijuana does cause impairment ;)

ScottySkis

pot makes skikng and anything i like more fun. i have lots more controll when on Pot then drinking or any other substance.

WWF-VT

View attachment 11434

I haven't finished watching the video yet but apparently they use this "smoke shack" out at Breckenridge as part of the story. I saw a post on Facebook that following this report this shack was destroyed, but I can't confirm that.

Inside Edition showed footage of the shack being blown up on tonight's show