• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Inside Edition investigates pot-smoking skiers at Breckenridge

BenedictGomez

And as to why there is a push to legalize marijuana, I'd say that most of the impetus behind legalizing (small) amounts of marijuana came from the fact that many taxpayers don't want to pay to prosecute or imprison folks
for mere possession.

I'd say that most of the impetus behind legalizing marijuana came from the fact government officials realized they could extract a ****load of money from many taxpayers.

snoseek

I'd say that most of the impetus behind legalizing marijuana came from the fact government officials realized they could extract a ****load of money from many taxpayers.

I'd be ok paying tax on it if it meant I could do it anywhere in the US without being a criminal. As it is now Most people pay several middlemen or worse yet organized crime...cartels. Weed is not expensive to grow unless its the best of the best.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, but the ski areas make a TON of money selling booze. I'll admit that both impair the user but In my personal experience booze is FAR more dangerous...I'll rarely drink more than one and ski. As a somewhat regular smoker (more vaper these days) It has much less effect. The same could not be said for someone who rarely smokes, everyone is different.

+1

Comparing the level of impairment with Pot and Alcohol is pretty ignorant IMO. Not in the same class of drug in regards to motor function or even cognitive ability.

There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of Americans on opiate regiments for pain management. Many of these people aren't wastiods on the couch. They work, drive cars and I'm sure many go skiing. This is all perfectly acceptable in society because the FDA says it's okay (within reason, depending on dose).

If you think a couple of tokes of marijuana makes someone more dangerous than the millions of opiate users in their daily lives......you need to do a bit of research. If you think marijuana impairment remotely compares with alcohol, then I'd say you're quite ignorant.

My wife uses marijuana medicinally a few times a day due to digestive issues that every form of modern big pharma medicine we could find and try over 5 years of doctor consultation and thousands of dollars spent couldn't help with. Marijuana has been the only thing that has worked with her without side effects and allows her to live a productive life in comfort. Not one of you would know it conversing with her. She's got a great job in banking and is sharper than a tack all day long. You'd never think, "wow, what a burn out stoner."

That's what makes stories like this one from the Inside Edition such BS. It's negative propaganda against a largely benign drug. Thankfully the tide is turning.......

skiNEwhere

I think one major issue though that can't be overlooked now is that colorado is associated with legal weed on some levels. So when ski tourists come to CO, and they've never smoked pot, they are gonna try it. On the slopes. And maybe they'll be fine. Or maybe they'll be so freakin' high they'll lie down and sleep. In the woods. Or the middle of the trail. Who knows?

I have gotten stuck behind a driver on I-70 going 35 mph in the middle lane on a sunny day with no snow whatsoever on the road.

Just like when people go to Las Vegas and think they can drink anytime and anywhere they want, CO tourists might think they same without even knowing the effect it will have on them. Wouldn't be surprised if the CO weed law changed in the future to say that only CO residents with a valid ID can buy weed.

snoseek

I think one major issue though that can't be overlooked now is that colorado is associated with legal weed on some levels. So when ski tourists come to CO, and they've never smoked pot, they are gonna try it. On the slopes. And maybe they'll be fine. Or maybe they'll be so freakin' high they'll lie down and sleep. In the woods. Or the middle of the trail. Who knows?

I have gotten stuck behind a driver on I-70 going 35 mph in the middle lane on a sunny day with no snow whatsoever on the road.

Just like when people go to Las Vegas and think they can drink anytime and anywhere they want, CO tourists might think they same without even knowing the effect it will have on them. Wouldn't be surprised if the CO weed law changed in the future to say that only CO residents with a valid ID can buy weed.

To be fair, I-70 would be a junk show if everyone was stone sober, that road sucks the big one!

I can see all the weed tourist being kind of annoying though, I see your point there. Hopefully someday this will be old news and everyone will have the freedom to walk into a store and purchase. Also then maybe the stoner culture will go away because honestly there's really nothing edgy about hitting a one hitter....

Until then this will be a media frenzy in the coming years.

BenedictGomez

My wife uses marijuana medicinally a few times a day due to digestive issues that every form of modern big pharma medicine we could find and try over 5 years of doctor consultation and thousands of dollars spent couldn't help with. Marijuana has been the only thing that has worked with her without side effects and allows her to live a productive life in comfort. Not one of you would know it conversing with her. She's got a great job in banking and is sharper than a tack all day long. You'd never think, "wow, what a burn out stoner."

Why not just take Marinol? You get the same medical marijuana benefits without getting high.

Also, there's an Israeli company that's working on genetically engineered marijuana plants that wont make you high. I dont think it's on the market yet, but IIRC, they're close.

snoseek

Reasons to avoid marinol are they are big pharmas synthetic concoction made to replicate thc. It can in fact get you high as a kite, varies from user to user. Also its quite a bit more money than weed. Pot grows in the ground, is natural and effective for lots of different things, why bother reproducing a good thing?

A normal user can take what they need via edible, vaping or smoking and usually function just fine

ScottySkis

Why not just take Marinol? You get the same medical marijuana benefits without getting high.

Also, there's an Israeli company that's working on genetically engineered mari

uana plants that wont make you high. I dont think it's on the market yet, but IIRC, they're close.
e

The stuff does not work to good. Plant for much better then what crappy RX company did to the plant.

i have more confidence when on MJ their fore i ski do things and drive better when i am enjoying mj. NO rrsson wgy still ielegal money DEA MONEY JAILS.

As for being it all about the user just like drinking.

To ansser the questiin on driving 30 MPH on highway the guy coupd have been ubdr influence of a milloion different things or tired.

Hawkshot99

e

The stuff does not work to good. Plant for much better then what crappy RX company did to the plant.

i have more confidence when on MJ their fore i ski do things and drive better when i am enjoying mj. NO rrsson wgy still ielegal money DEA MONEY JAILS.

As for being it all about the user just like drinking.

To ansser the questiin on driving 30 MPH on highway the guy coupd have been ubdr influence of a milloion different things or tired.

That post right there is all you need to know....

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That post right there is all you need to know....

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

+1. haha.

Sometimes I skim Scotty's posts and get the gist of what he is saying. But sometimes I very deliberately read it exactly as it is typed on the screen.

That could almost be a drinking game.

bdfreetuna

So when ski tourists come to CO, and they've never smoked pot, they are gonna try it. On the slopes.

I don't think it's like when you used to be able to go to Amsterdam and buy psilocybe cubensis mushrooms in a head shop.

Cannabis isn't exactly hard to find in America and increasingly large numbers of people have been smoking it regardless of its local or federal legality.

I suspect the amount of people who smoke pot for the first time in CO just because it became legal is pretty low. And these few people would have smoked it for their first time sooner or later anyway. Now take that already small number and extrapolate it to the ski slopes, and I think what we have is a "non-issue".

That's my hunch anyway.

C-Rex

I'm fairly certain anyone going to CO and trying pot for the first time is not going to do so on a ski slope. Most people want to be in a safe comfortable place when they try a mind altering substance.

DHS, I'm guessing your wife has Crohn's or Colitis? My ex has Crohn's and is on Humira. I tried to get her to give pot a shot but she was always against it, even though she never tried it. Didn't make sense to me, Humira has incredibly dangerous potential side effects and makes you have next to zero immune system. Why not try something natural that has been proven effective by so many other sufferers.

To reply to earlier replies to my post: I'm not saying pot doesn't impair you, only that compared to alcohol it is a much different, and lower level of impairment.

skiNEwhere

I find it "funny", for lack of a better word that they sell ski jackets with bottle openers on them now