• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

March 1 and 2 who going where

makimono

Thinking about picking up a WaWa rest of season pass ($139 for 3/1 on) for morning weekday laps before work for the month of March. If I do I'll probably go there Sat pm &/or Sunday am to kick it off.

KD7000

Have passes to burn so will most likely be skidding on the Frozen Granular at Ragged tomorrow. They claim the woods and natural trails are open but I'm sure it's "technical" skiing.
I was thinking about heading Ragged on Sunday. But I have no discount passes or anything. I'd be interested to hear how it actually is up there...

4aprice

What's the deal with the youth ski race thing? You mentioned that's why you were at Elk? I saw them all at the top of the lift (hard to miss there was so many of them!), repping Blue Mountain, Elk, Camelback, Liberty, and I think Seven Springs. Is it an every week thing or how's it run?

It's all run by the United States Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA). Each state involved has a division (or league if you want). My son is in the Pennsylvania Alpine Racing Association (PARA), Vermont's is called VARA. Basically kids from 8-21 divided up in age brackets (U-10,U-12 etc. up through U-21). There is a scoring system (that I don't necessarily understand) and standings and post season races for those that qualify.

Most teams are actually clubs that are associated with but not run by the mountains. Coaches are attached to the Ski School and we pay the mountain for that but Equipment (gates timing etc) is handled by the club. Camelback's Ski Team is run by PASEF (PA Snowsport Education Foundation) but allowed to use the mountain Logo for jackets etc.

Races range from 4 for the lower ages (where each run is counted as a race) to 8 for the older (regular race rules). The U-18's and 21's compete for the PA Cup which is 8 races. They are not every weekend. The 8 races are run over 3 separate weekends. Over the past 3 years it has been 2 races in western PA/Maryland (7 Springs twice, Wisp last year) in early January, 3 Days at Blue Mountain early February and 3 days at Elk in late February. Other weekends are spent at home training (hence my #1 reason for using Camelback as a home mountain). My son (and thus we) will be heading up to Attitash/Bear Peak next weekend for him to compete in The Eastern High School Championships. It will probably be his last hurrah in racing as I don't expect him to compete in college.

It sure is a lot more serious these days then it was when I raced back in the 70's. They wear speed suits, have significant pads, and multiple sets of skis. There of course is some travel but I would say its equal or less then what most Hockey parents have to go through. He enjoyed it and I think it was a very good experience for him.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

It's all run by the United States Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA). Each state involved has a division (or league if you want). My son is in the Pennsylvania Alpine Racing Association (PARA), Vermont's is called VARA. Basically kids from 8-21 divided up in age brackets (U-10,U-12 etc. up through U-21). There is a scoring system (that I don't necessarily understand) and standings and post season races for those that qualify.

My son (and thus we) will be heading up to Attitash/Bear Peak next weekend for him to compete in The Eastern High School Championships. It will probably be his last hurrah in racing as I don't expect him to compete in college.

Sounds pretty cool. How much does the program cost (ex-equipment)? And do some kids from the local area (NJ, ePA) get good enough that they do get college scholarships, or is being raised at <=1000 foot vertical generally typically too much a handicap to overcome?

〽❄❅

…if Platty weren't a 4+ hour drive!

Gonna settle for ELK tomorrow, then home in anticipation for hopefully enough snow in Philly by Monday to XC ski anywhere thru Fairmont Parks Valley Green.

Abominable

Anyone at magic today? Blue jacket black pants red goggle strap black snowboard and generally looking steezy. Ha. Say hello if youre here. Currently ensconced at the Bloody Mary buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jrmagic

Anyone at magic today? Blue jacket black pants red goggle strap black snowboard and generally looking steezy. Ha. Say hello if youre here. Currently ensconced at the Bloody Mary buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I'm here yellow shell blue pants black helmet blue/purple twin tips

Tin

Stowe bus trip got cancelled for us BC all of RI panicked last week with the storm we now won't get. Berkshire E for us tomorrow.

jrmagic

I'm at magicc white helmet red jacket

I looked for you Bill but didn't see you. I made a few runs with Abominable in the afternoon as well as a couple of pints and a shot. We may or may not have hit tuna speedTM on Talisman lol. The groomers were skiing great all day and were not skied off at all. Last run was on Sorcerer which was groomed on Saturday but enough snow was thrown around by skiers for some decent bumps to form on the edges of the trail. It was a blast