• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice on a cheap ski set up

dmw

So I have these skis I bought for next to nothing at a yard sale - Rossignol Sprayers, with what look to be Rossi Axium 100 bindings. In know the bindings are demo style, you can adjust them on the fly to whatever boot size -

- Should I trust these bindings? Maybe have them adjusted / checked over by a shop?

- I'm looking for cheap boots to use with them; I found someone who wants to sell me the boots in this photo for $69 - should I consider them? Salomon Performa 4.0 Sensifit.

I know the usual answers, I should really get good boots, have them fitted, etc, and the skis probably (definitely) suck. I'm primarily a boarder but know how to ski and just want something I can get on once in a while for a change of pace and see if I feel like investing in ski stuff at some point. Skis are a bit small too, I'm 5'10 170 and they're probably 160's.

I guess what I'm wondering is if this cheap set up even seems safe or worth putting together, or if anyone else has any old boots that would fit a size 10 mens.

Word.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGSalomon Performa 4.0 Sensifit black buckle.jpg

dmw

Thanks, pretty much know that... Like so short I'll have trouble or just not ideal? I know they're not ideal.

Euler

Thanks, pretty much know that... Like so short I'll have trouble or just not ideal? I know they're not ideal.

I say give 'me a shot. You should definitely have the bindings set and tested by a reliable tech. Regarding the length, they will feel good for short quick turns on groomers and bumps. They will quickly get chattery and shaky feeling as your speed goes up , and they'll get tossed around more than a longer ski in crud and slush.

But, they'll probably be fine for a year, and you'll get your money's worth from them!

dmw

Thanks for the feedback. I'm holding off on the boots for now, mostly logistical reasons, but gonna keep an eye out.

mishka

They should be ok to start with. I would just have them checked by ashop to be safe.

unlikely any problems with the binding but I seconds above... just to be safe
personally I partial to Axial/pivot clamps.
Also demo binding can be adjusted to different positions on the skis as longer forward pressure reset correctly. To me this option alone make demo binding desirable.

bigbog

If they'll get you out there....yeah.
Gonna be a mental test to stay on the groomed..OR MAYBE NOT!(lol)..good for exercising the balance skills.
$.01

Last edited:

dmw

I tried out the skis this week, demoed some boots. No issues, guys in the shop were impressed with my $30 skis and bindings. The skis felt short, but not to the point of being problematic.