• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak 3/1/14

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Date(s) Skied: March 1, 2014

Resort or Ski Area: Jay Peak

Conditions: Packed Powder in Glades, Wind Blown and Ice on Groomers

Trip Report: I would say all the glades were pretty much the same - tracked but soft pack and a lot of fun. The groomers however were horrible - windblown powder for a stretch followed by a cue ball like surface. Anyway, after a minor technical difficulty on my first run in the Canyonland glade I had a nice afternoon. Crowds were - how you say? - pas aussi mauvais.

Beaver Pond Glade by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Pow Line by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Tram Line by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Canyon Land by Bob Misu, on Flickr

Broken by Bob Misu, on Flickr

xwhaler

Nice report. Have a voucher to Jay for next wknd but may end up at Bolton instead. Crazy lines and icey conditions may be week worth eating cost/trading the voucher
Will watch weather and TRs and make call late week

mlkrgr

Nice report. Have a voucher to Jay for next wknd but may end up at Bolton instead. Crazy lines and icey conditions may be week worth eating cost/trading the voucher

Really, it's just the Tram that gets supercrazy because of its limited uphill capacity unless you're talking a windhold (or lift malfunction). The flyer right by it will give you access to almost everything that the tram will give you as it goes up about 85% of the way and it has a comparatively short line if there is one.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

The line for the Bonne chair and Flyer were nonexistent after lunch. Even earlier they weren't so bad. I never ride the tram on the weekend and you can see why.

redwinger

I also ski'd Jay on 3/1. I was very happy with the conditions. Jet was skiing great for a steep groomer and some of the lower glades were amazing: Beaverpond, Andre's, Bushwacker, North Glade, and lower timbuktu were all fantastic.

dlague

We were there on Saturday and Sunday and Saturday up to lunch time had the worst lines I have ever seen at Jay. Around 1:30 ish it got busy again but not as bad as the morning between 10 and 12. I actually found the conditions to be fairly decent - Timbuktu Glades were pretty good. Derrick Hot Shot was very scrapped off on Saturday and on Sunday that trail got scraped of quickly even with the new snow! I found the large groups stopping at trail intersections to be very annoying on Saturday. The most dangerous was the intersection of Montrealer and Northway - that is a mess!

Sunday the lines were non-existent, there were freshies 4-6 inches which skied well for the first couple of hours. Beaver Pond Glades were really fun on Sunday, Timbuktu skied well and Derrick Hot Shot was a mess! Haynes skied really nice as well.

Over all I still think conditions were really good.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
WTF - was that YOUR ski or something you found by the side? :-o

I'm gonna post a TR on Stowe from today and plan to contrast your TR vs. mine as a case study in grooming.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
WTF - was that YOUR ski or something you found by the side? :-o

I'm gonna post a TR on Stowe from today and plan to contrast your TR vs. mine as a case study in grooming.

That's my busted up ski. I never did bust up a ski on a groomer. This should prove to be interesting.