• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Old School

Edd

I was chatting with a stranger on a chairlift recently and I brought up Kastle skis. I've always pronounced it like you say "castle".

He corrects me by saying its pronounced "Kas-lay". I had no idea if he was right or not.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

I was chatting with a stranger on a chairlift recently and I brought up Kastle skis. I've always pronounced it like you say "castle".

He corrects me by saying its pronounced "Kas-lay". I had no idea if he was right or not.

He is right!

drjeff

I was told back in the 80's, when Swiss skiing legend Pirim Zurbriggen was skiing Kastle's to world cup title after world cup title, by a 2nd generation Austrian who owned the ski shop where my parents bought most of my families gear at the time, that it was pronounced "Kest-lay" Not sure if it's "Kas" or "Kest"-lay but it's definitely not "castle!" :)

It's kind of like Blizzard skis. Is it pronounced "blizzard" like the storm we all desire or "Bliz-zard"?

I go with "Bliz-zard" since that's how both the guys at the shop where I buy my stuff now (including a pair of Blizzard's) and also the Blizzard rep that I spoke with this past December at demo days at Mount Snow pronounced it

Either way that pic of those Kastle's is way cool! Look's like an old 215-220cm DH from back in the "good 'ol days" when no real man would admit to skiing on anything under 200cm! ;) :lol: :spin:

hammer

It's kind of like Blizzard skis. Is it pronounced "blizzard" like the storm we all desire or "Bliz-zard"?

I go with "Bliz-zard" since that's how both the guys at the shop where I buy my stuff now (including a pair of Blizzard's) and also the Blizzard rep that I spoke with this past December at demo days at Mount Snow pronounced it

Heard it pronounced "Bliz-zard" at a local ski shop, guessing they work with the reps and know what's correct.

Do they make rooftop boxes that those skis would fit in?

wa-loaf

He corrects me by saying its pronounced "Kas-lay". I had no idea if he was right or not

I was told back in the 80's, when Swiss skiing legend Pirim Zurbriggen was skiing Kastle's to world cup title after world cup title, by a 2nd generation Austrian who owned the ski shop where my parents bought most of my families gear at the time, that it was pronounced "Kest-lay" Not sure if it's "Kas" or "Kest"-lay but it's definitely not "castle!" :)

More like Kast-le.

Breakout12

“More like Kast-le.” That’s how I learned it, too.

As for Dynastar, I’ve heard that the company calls itself “Deena-star”, but I will continue to call it “Dina-star”. The name might be French, but as others have pointed out, we anglicize names. We call Paris, Paris, not “Pa-ree”. We pronounce K2 in English. In English, dyna is pronounced “Dina”, as in dynamite, dynamic, dynamo.

4aprice

Seen more then a few people skiing straight skis lately. I assume the product of a good snow year and some "reintroducing" themselves to the sport. I don't think I would want to go back after skiing the shapes. Some of those on straights skied ok it just looked like more work. Racing rules have them going back to straights for GS (Austrian's wanted change I'm told). My kids getting out just in time to save my wallet.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ