• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Old School

KD7000

I did not watch that video clip.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true.

dlague

I was told back in the 80's, when Swiss skiing legend Pirim Zurbriggen was skiing Kastle's to world cup title after world cup title, by a 2nd generation Austrian who owned the ski shop where my parents bought most of my families gear at the time, that it was pronounced "Kest-lay" Not sure if it's "Kas" or "Kest"-lay but it's definitely not "castle!" :)

It's kind of like Blizzard skis. Is it pronounced "blizzard" like the storm we all desire or "Bliz-zard"?

I go with "Bliz-zard" since that's how both the guys at the shop where I buy my stuff now (including a pair of Blizzard's) and also the Blizzard rep that I spoke with this past December at demo days at Mount Snow pronounced it

Either way that pic of those Kastle's is way cool! Look's like an old 215-220cm DH from back in the "good 'ol days" when no real man would admit to skiing on anything under 200cm! ;) :lol: :spin:

Kest lay

I used to race on a pair of 205s. I went to my parents home to dig them out for a retro day and they had thrown the out!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

makimono

Skied on my 205 K2 (kay-too) 5500 Unlimited's last weekend for a few laps...gotta water the roots once in a while!

Highway Star

What, no deflex or other race plate....??? By scaling these off the snowboard, and based on the graphic, I'm guessing these are GS in a length around 200-205 cm. Kastle Speedmachine, late 90's vintage. Unless you really looked at them and saw marking indicating DH, sidewall construction with 3 or 4 sheets of metal, etc.

Nobody runs DH skis without a plate, it just isn't done.

Here is some real deal DH's.......

http://cdn.epicski.com/f/fd/fdd6935c_DSCN3522.jpeg

Here are some speedmachine GS 205's......

http://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/4344988235.html

Last edited:

Cannonball

By scaling these off the snowboard, and based on the graphic, I'm guessing these are GS in a length around 200-205 cm. Kastle Speedmachine, late 90's vintage. Unless you really looked at them and saw marking indicating DH, sidewall construction with 3 or 4 sheets of metal, etc.

Ummmm, no the pic I posted are definitely DH skis. You know how I can tell? Because they say "DH" on them. You know how else I can tell? Because they are the exact same Kastle DH skis that you point to here....

wa-loaf

I was told it's pronounced "VOL - kul" and to be truly german appropriate, you must have some small amount of spit go flying out of your mouth as you say "kul" ;)

I say Vol kul, but to really say it in German you have pronounce the V as an F so Fol-kul is how is said in the Fatherland ...

Highway Star

Ummmm, no the pic I posted are definitely DH skis. You know how I can tell? Because they say "DH" on them. You know how else I can tell? Because they are the exact same Kastle DH skis that you point to here....

There is no way you can read DH or GS in that pic, I already tried.

Post a higher res pic or detail of the skis, and I'll believe you. To me, the cannon pic looks like GS skis, the graphics are very similar, but not exactly the same as on the DH ski.

KD7000

I still don't think those say DH. Because nobody runs DH skis without a plate, it just isn't done. Those aren't even real. You've photoshopped the whole thing.

Highway Star

I still don't think those say DH. Because nobody runs DH skis without a plate, it just isn't done. Those aren't even real. You've photoshopped the whole thing.

^this....

Or -5000 gnar points for running DH skis without a plate.