• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

March 13th (Don't Crucify me!)

MadMadWorld

EURO drums up another monster. This is also the 1st solution where it brings the polar jet into play. Not quite a Triple Phase, but getting there.

The only triple phaser I know of that hit New England as a snowstorm and not a cutter is March 1993. ( probably not accurate)

Well there were 5 triple phasers since then I believe. Not sure how many were cutters.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My (totally non-scientific, anti-jinxing, curmudgeon) predictions:

Scenario 1: Storm blows up, dumps 3 feet of snow in CT/MA but there is a sharp cutoff on the north side and NVT gets 2.567” (still more snow than we have received in the last 3 weeks). White Mtns heavily shadow the NEK.
Probability=40%

Scenario 2: Storm is a cutter and tracks through Ottawa, dumping 3” of hot rain on New England.
Probability=40%

Scenario 3: The storm barely organizes and produces widespread snow showers in NE that accumulate enough to barely cover the dirt 3 week old snow currently on the ground. Shovels stay in the garage.
Probability=40%

I like you from_the_NEK. Always working hard, giving an extra 20% :lol:

Well there were 5 triple phasers since then I believe. Not sure how many were cutters.

One famed triple phaser was the Cleveland Superbomb of 78. I don't know how it treated NE, but it was probably a torch over here.

That apparently was a mega-cutter

Puck it

My (totally non-scientific, anti-jinxing, curmudgeon) predictions:

Scenario 1: Storm blows up, dumps 3 feet of snow in CT/MA but there is a sharp cutoff on the north side and NVT gets 2.567” (still more snow than we have received in the last 3 weeks). White Mtns heavily shadow the NEK.
Probability=40%

Scenario 2: Storm is a cutter and tracks through Ottawa, dumping 3” of hot rain on New England.
Probability=40%

Scenario 3: The storm barely organizes and produces widespread snow showers in NE that accumulate enough to barely cover the dirt 3 week old snow currently on the ground. Shovels stay in the garage.
Probability=40%

120% probability... Sweet!

Wow, toss the GFS. Initialization errors and convective feedback problems galore.

This is not a typo, the computers got skrewy and deepened the low from 992 to 882 in 12 hours... 882! Better smooth out that bug quick or else twittercasters will go insane! (Or maybe its on to something:wink:)

Wow, toss the GFS. Initialization errors and convective feedback problems galore.

This is not a typo, the computers got skrewy and deepened the low from 992 to 882 in 12 hours... 882! Better smooth out that bug quick or else twittercasters will go insane! (Or maybe its on to something:wink:)

ETA: They took that disaster down and replaced it with a new run. Kinda meh actually, it doesn't phase in the southern system. I wish I had a picture of the black hole that would have been over Nova Scotia.

Last edited:

catsup948

Lowest non hurricane mb ever measured in the lower 48 was on long island in 1914. 952 mb. 882 would be the apocalypse! Ha!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tin

As of now another great looking system for the Poconos, Cats, and Berks (4-8") . Might not get much north of Mountain Snow.

catsup948

This has that classic late winter look to it rain down by the coast and decent snow in the mountains.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

slatham

12Z Euro has storm. 982 low just off cape cod at 18Z Thur. Its been fairly consistent, but the other models are not there. Battle of the models!