• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waist size...

SandwichTech

Website
sandwichtechskis.com
When you go wide on hard pack you sacrifice edge to edge transition quickness. If one is trying to support an upright object from tipping using the base, build a wider base. A skier is an upright object so widening the base (ski width) makes it harder to tip. Harder to tip translates to a longer transition time and more work for the skier.

This is a great analogy for an effect that is often difficult to explain.

Cornhead

40", oh ski waist size, 98mm as an every day ski. I'm considering going narrower, 88mm. I demoed a pair of Blizzard Bushwhackers that I liked a lot. They were more nimble than my current ski, Volkl Mantras. Now I'm torn between metal, or non metal, construction. The Bushwhackers are metal only under foot. They are more playful, better in the bumps, than the Mantras. I did notice you don't get the energy return out of turns on groomers that I get with the Mantras. I would expect edge hold to be better on hardpack with a metal ski also. I'm going to try the Blizzard Brahma Saturday and see what I think, two sheets of metal, same as the Mantra. Maybe I'll pick up some used, true powder skis for those rare times there needed here in the East, and trips out West. I could've used a pair a few times at Snow Ridge this year too. It would help if I got that "waist" size down too, tough to float 250lbs. :lol:

Puck it, the graphics are awesome on the Rock Stars.

MadMadWorld

The E88 rips on hardpack. They are great in crud, and decent in bumps. When the snow gets excessively soft and deep you're better off going wider. Something around 100 under foot with be better in spring slush, but given the gripper nature of the 88 on hard snow it is worth the trade. As for your six inch dump, they don't do so well when it is untracked. Their snub nose tends to submarine when the snow gets more than a few inches deep. Wait an hour or two until it turns to cut up crud and that is where the 88 comes into its own.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Solid advice!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
5 days in CO, my demo ski waists went 106, 102, 112, 98, 105, 117. Skied a wide variety of terrain from soft snow, bumps, and even hard groomers (in CO! *gasp*).

Many of us, myself included, get caught up in waist width, but for the most part we're talking about an inch of difference, max. 80mm to 100mm, to even 110mm, really isn't as big of a difference as ski length, flex, rocker, and other variables.

Puck it

5 days in CO, my demo ski waists went 106, 102, 112, 98, 105, 117. Skied a wide variety of terrain from soft snow, bumps, and even hard groomers (in CO! *gasp*).

Many of us, myself included, get caught up in waist width, but for the most part we're talking about an inch of difference, max. 80mm to 100mm, to even 110mm, really isn't as big of a difference as ski length, flex, rocker, and other variables.

So size does matter?

dlague

Depends on whether you go full rocker or not. That can make a big difference

Full Rocker in New England is only good on snow days which are far and few if you can only get out on weekends! Full rocker on Hard Pack sucks! If you can afford a quiver of 3-4 pairs of skis then it fits in.

dlague

If you ski on narrower skis then the first few runs on a wider ski takes a little getting used to. Going from 72 to 85 no biggie but going from 72 to 115 - well there is a difference. Differences between the sized you mention once again no biggie.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
If you ski on narrower skis then the first few runs on a wider ski takes a little getting used to. Going from 72 to 85 no biggie but going from 72 to 115 - well there is a difference. Differences between the sized you mention once again no biggie.

I had never skied anything bigger than 89mm underfoot before Sat, and I would say that the difference was negligible.

You're right that 72 to 115 would be a big difference, but I would also argue that those skis are going to be built completely differently in terms of flex and side cut and camber, that makes it an apples to oranges comparison.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Personally, I notice a HUGE difference between something in the 85 range vs 100. IMO 15 mm makes an exceptional difference in how ski handles with factors like camber/rocker/metal being equal.

jrmagic

I have a 78 and a 110 and I've had so much fun with the 110 that I only skied the 78s once this year. The 110s are a very cambered multi radius twintip with with no metal inside. I absolutely agree with what Cheese said about them not being as quick in transition but they are quick enough and surprisingly beefy enough to rail big turns at speed and her soft enough for the bumps except when they are rock hard. Basically they are just more fun so they have become my dIky driver.

Brad J

Have 65 SL for early season , 65 for GS race, 88 daily driver , 94 soft snow and pow, 96 for a AT setup

Cheese

This is a great analogy for an effect that is often difficult to explain.

The E88 rips on hardpack.

Unfortunately for me at least, most reviews are like this one where edge to edge transition speed isn't even a factor. I don't judge skiers at speed and I often discount the speed performance of a ski for the same reason. Any expert can half carve and half skid down a steep pitch effortlessly. Only the best can ski the same terrain slowly. A carve doesn't have to hold much when turns are only half finished. To ski a steep slope slowly, the carve needs to be far stronger and hold for far longer. The slow skiing situation requires a ski with a tight turn radius, a good amount of stiffness for edge grip and very fast transition speed. 5 turns down a black diamond with a 20 foot hockey stop at the end, meh. 20 carves and the last one ends in full 560º loop carve to stop, dayum!

Last edited:

Highway Star

I took about 8 years off from skiing because of hockey and when I got back into it I realized that everyone was on some giant waist skis. Aside from powder what are the benefits over the bigger waists? Is there a guide for what is ideal for bumps, trees, etc or all personal preference?

So, did you get some real powder skis yet? Let me recommend the Head Boneshaker 191cm, I picked mine up last summer. Full sidewall, wood core, mild rocker, 146/125/135, ~11.5lb without binding, mount -1.5cm from the furtherst back line with 18-din FKS. Really stable jumping and dropping, and pretty manuverable in the woods. Of course, you're only going to want to ski these in 2-4ft+ deep mostly untracked powder, so you're going to need to know where to find powder. Great ski!

IMG_1738.jpg

Last edited: