• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3/6/14 Pico

medfordmike

To round out a full skiing yesterday at Killington I headed over to Pico today with some friends. Another place I have not been to in a few years even though it is a place I really enjoy. I skied from open to just before 1. It started out cold but slowly warmed through the day with blue sunny skies. Groomed corduroy was on all the main trails this morning and made for some fast runs. 49er and Upper KA were particularly good.

The bumps on Summit Glades were surprisingly good. I had expected them to be pretty firm since we have not had significant new snow in days. However, even in the first part of the morning when the sun was off of them they were great. Birch Glades was good as well considering it is dependent on natural snow and gets a decent amount of sun since the tree coverage is far from intense. Birch was the first ungroomed/glade trail I ever tried a long time ago. So when I get to Pico if it is open I have to take a turn or two on it. We also spent a little time over in the Outpost area and conditions were good there as well.

Overall a great morning at an underrated mountain. My two friends took advantage of the ladies day pricing and I got a discount with my Wachusett pass so a relatively cheap day as well. There were no crowds at all.

Tin

Pico is probably the most under rated mountain in New England. Get on the old tbar line on the side of Giant Killer?

medfordmike

Pico is probably the most under rated mountain in New England. Get on the old tbar line on the side of Giant Killer?

I didn't hit the old T Bar. My one friend has had a lot of work on her knee over the last 1.5 years and the other three little kids so has barely gotten out this season so I didn't attempt Giant Killer with them. When I did the other glades I would break off from them since it was easy to find a parallel easy route but I tried to keep it to a minimum since I was the only one who knew Pico and 21 days into the season I didn't want to be greedy or a bad friend.

xlr8r

Birch Glades is also one of my favorite trails. Wish more mountains had trails like it with the groups of tree islands. Pico still very underrated, but not forgotten, they seem to do good business on the weekends.

4aprice

Past by Pico on the way home yesterday. From Route 4 Liftline, Giant Killer, Outpost Lift Line, and Sidewinder all had visible bumps on them and looked sweet.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ