• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Katahdin Winter Climb via Abol 3.9.14

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
There are patches lingering into July mainly in shadows and ravines of the basins. The Saddle Trail usually is the last to open as it is sheltered where it runs in the woods and holds snow. Usually Memorial Weekend everything is open. They close trails to prevent damage during spring melt.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Its TR's like this that make me wish I didn't have to work. I would ski and hike all winter. As it is I barely have time to ski. Love the photos.

One question: What kind of crampons are those? They look a somewhere between micro and full ten point.

Bumpsis

Somehow they didn't look that big but after looking again and checking rei I see. Thanks.

I have a pair of Camps, just like it. For winter hikes/general mountineering, they are perfect and are a good value. Definitely worth the money. Microspikes do have limits and you quickly run into them once you encounter protracted ice stretches with a steeper angle or tricky/double fall lines.
Great Trip report and nice achievement, tomcat!