• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Meetup March 15th

MadMadWorld

Thinking about going the "longer" way by going west on the MassPike then up 91 tomorrow because it will get more love from the plows. How is 12 in the snow? Is it a main road, highway? Looks like going through a bunch of small towns on Google Earth.

It's not bad it's the main road through a lot of towns so they keep it clear. It's easy to get back onto 91 if need be.

makimono

Rt 12 is excellent, for me it's about 10 minutes faster (but I don't go over 65 even on I-91) and it saves about 10-15% in gas.

Two times I might not take it is if it's really dumping I might stay on the well plowed main highway, and also on weekdays if you don't get an early enough start you get commuter traffic and worst of all school busses, but that's not a problem on weekends. Very few traffic lights and it's 45-55 a lot of the way except when it drops to 30-35 going through a village here and there. Last Sunday I went 5mph over the entire way, never had a slow vehicle in front of me once.

wa-loaf

Cool. Yea either route is good. I'll probably just go route 12. If the road sucks it's easy to get back onto 91. The directions take you 2 to 140 to 12 right? I think that's faster than going through Fitchburg

Sounds right, I'd cut from 190 over to 2 via 140 (going past Wachusett) anyway.

wa-loaf

Rt 12 is excellent, for me it's about 10 minutes faster (but I don't go over 65 even on I-91) and it saves about 10-15% in gas.

Two times I might not take it is if it's really dumping I might stay on the well plowed main highway, and also on weekdays if you don't get an early enough start you get commuter traffic and worst of all school busses, but that's not a problem on weekends. Very few traffic lights and it's 45-55 a lot of the way except when it drops to 30-35 going through a village here and there. Last Sunday I went 5mph over the entire way, never had a slow vehicle in front of me once.

Early Sat morning, so I might give 12 a shot.

reefer

Why would you do that?

Work - had to get it in before 3/31 (as much as I tried to delay). Been planned for a while. Been busy preparing etc., hence why I've been more than quiet than my normally quite self.
Banking on my best April ever............................................

MadMadWorld

Work - had to get it in before 3/31 (as much as I tried to delay). Been planned for a while. Been busy preparing etc., hence why I've been more than quiet than my normally quite self.

I could be wrong but I think he was referring to your chances of being casted for Lost 2.

wa-loaf

Keep an eye out for that missing plane! We'll save some snow for ya!

reefer

Driving

2 to 140 to 12 saves you 25 miles each way...................................Same time pretty much as 2 to 91.

Bostonian

I've taken 2 to 140 to 12 to get out to VT for Okemo, and Magic in the past and love that road. there is hardly any traffic in the morning out there, and it's an easy drive to make. I would do that any day over 2 to 91...

wa-loaf

Early report from operations is that a few inches fell late last night and it is still snowing lightly...call it 2-3" after the 3 inches that fell early yesterday but there's a layer of icing in between and the wind has been blowing it around. So not what we'd call a typical "powder day". It instead will be a $15 "throwback day". Also there is icing on the lifts that has to be carefully dealt with so there is the possibility of a delayed opening as ops deals with that. The roads are not pretty so please drive carefully if you are heading out. As we learn more, will update every one.

:(

RustyGroomer

ok, that did not work as planned. Still will be a fun day I promise. I have some friends up there today hopefully busting up something for us. I'll do my best if I can get up there tonight. Keep you posted.

RustyGroomer

That's the spirit JR! See you tomorrow. Tomorrow &/or Saturday for the rest.

RustyGroomer

That's what we do JR. Just got word from Pinhead. "Magic was variable. Soft (Kinderspiel). Some ice (Sorcerer) "It will be great this weekend."