• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Leaving Skis and Boards on the Ground - WTF

KD7000

Last year at Magic, there was a huge collection of equipment lying on the ground outside the lodge. I watched a couple of snowboards get flipped over by the wind and slide down onto the gravel road.

Dunno why people do this. There was plenty of room on the racks, near the porch, or against the building.

why does this bother people? I can see if racks have room but when they are full what else is the option?
Because sometimes you're nearly wading through equipment to get into a lodge. It doesn't really anger me, it just seems like poor etiquette and rather sloppy.

MadMadWorld

why does this bother people? I can see if racks have room but when they are full what else is the option?

To me it's just an annoyance to have to walk around a big sea of skis but it is a safety hazard for beginners and anyone else for that matter. If there is no room on the rack I'll give everyone a pass no problem but rarely ever is that the case.

Smellytele

I see a lot of "race kids" doing this, they own the mountain right? Maybe they need a grump dad in the group to tell them to put the skis on a rack. In my opinion it goes along with the entitled attitude you see with many privileged "race kids". That attitude is honestly one of the reasons we didn't push our kids towards a race team, that and I'd rather ski with them!

+1k

thetrailboss

Staff member
I see a lot of "race kids" doing this, they own the mountain right? Maybe they need a grump dad in the group to tell them to put the skis on a rack. In my opinion it goes along with the entitled attitude you see with many privileged "race kids". That attitude is honestly one of the reasons we didn't push our kids towards a race team, that and I'd rather ski with them!

+ 1. Ironically, racers in my experience are the worst offenders.

skifree

I blame the snowboarders. they take up too much rack room

:stirpot:

KevinF

Those of you who are upset at people who leave their skis on the ground should stay away from Stowe... The area around the Octagon (top of the Fourrunner quad) is usually covered in people leaving their skis on the ground. Midway lodge (base of the gondola) -- same thing.

I fail to see what the big deal is.

thetrailboss

Staff member
How is it ironic?

Because they spend tons of money on skis and time and money on tuning said skis for races. You would not expect them to just throw their gear on the ground like that. Mid-Burke lodge was always trashed inside as well by the same folks.

dlague

I think in areas where there is plenty of room - no biggie! But some days at many resorts much of the area in front of a lodge gets covered and you end up stepping over gear just to get in the building. Worst part about it - some yahoo will trip get hurt and sue the resort!

To someone's point - if the ski area does not provide sufficient rack space then it is bound to happen! I can not say that i noticed it that much like five years ago and not it is becoming common place.

At Bolton I saw some ski patrol putting skis on racks and my wife and I were waiting for others to ski down and these two girls came out of the lodge and thought someone stole their gear. It was actually pretty entertaining until my wife let them know!

dlague

Because they spend tons of money on skis and time and money on tuning said skis for races. You would not expect them to just throw their gear on the ground like that. Mid-Burke lodge was always trashed inside as well by the same folks.

Go to Suicide Six on a Saturday - that placed gets destroyed and they don't care about other peoples stuff. We had our bags hanging and later went back in for a snack and our bags were on the floor.

However the skis on the ground issue was in check all were using racks!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Mid-Burke was a maze of skis on the ground this past weekend with the J-(whatever) races going on. It made the traverse around the end of the lodge painful if coming from the East Bowl side.