• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Upcoming storm and weekend: where are folks going?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
how is stowe when its windy? do they close down a lot of lifts?
I am at Stowe right now. All I can say is that it's dark and the snow is deep. We just came in from dinner and bottomed out the car (i.e., the snow is up to the bottoms of the door) when we came in the driveway. It had been plowed before dinner. Heading to Mt. Mansfield in the morning. It's not blower pow, but it's soft and light, with a tad of moisture in it. Don't think I could make a snowball. Bring a snorkel.

Right now the snow is light and there are no winds in the valley. According to the radar, it seems that we are in a dry slot for the moment.

Definitely worth the trip up this way.

In terms of lift holds, it's only tomorrow that will be a problem. They have enough lift options that things will keep running. The only time I can ever recall it being closed was during an ice storm. The Quad was rebuild with heavier chairs expressly to dampen the sway/swing, so we'll see.

xwhaler

I know Sugarloaf sucks for wind holds, How is Saddleback?

I was a passholder for 2 yrs at Saddleback getting in close to 60 days up there. They deal with winds better than the Loaf for sure. The Rangeley can be wind prone but the upper quad is low to the ground so can run when its blowing.
Best case scenario you have the Rangeley on line up to the Kennebago but I've seen them not run the double and you can access the upper mtn via the T Bar.

Have fun!

Cheese

Sunday River Saturday and Sunday.

Report looks like rain on Saturday and then freezing hard for bullet proof corduroy on Sunday. I guess things can only improve from that forecast.

Warp Daddy

Plan is Burke then Cannon with my son and grandson who will be on spring break ,but not till tues /thurs .

However our neighbors wife who is a very close friend died very unexpectedly last nite so we may have a funeral instead . We have also opened up our home to their family from Ireland and Cali who will be here whenever the funeral is planned . SOOO , its a wait. N' see

Cornhead

On my way to Gore now, was going to hit Greek today, but they got only 3". Headed to VT after Gore, not sure where yet, got a bunch of vouchers. Heard on TV it's a Canadian vacation week, might keep me from Jay. Smuggs, Burke, possibly.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Abominable

On my way to Gore now, was going to hit Greek today, but they got only 3". Headed to VT after Gore, not sure where yet, got a bunch of vouchers. Heard on TV it's a Canadian vacation week, might keep me from Jay. Smuggs, Burke, possibly.

Cool, let us know how that is, thinking of heading up there for le weekend.

Anyone know any Gore discounts? There's nothing on Liftopia. I'll search around.......

MadMadWorld

It's only vacation week for Ontario. Quebec was last week.

Wavewheeler

Anyone know any Gore discounts? There's nothing on Liftopia. I'll search around.......

I was surprised at how expensive Gore is for lift tickets. No good deals from what I could see and Thursdays and Fridays have the same rates as the weekend. Crossed that one off the list. :thumbdown:

Bene288

I was surprised at how expensive Gore is for lift tickets. No good deals from what I could see and Thursdays and Fridays have the same rates as the weekend. Crossed that one off the list. :thumbdown:

Yeah Gore discounts are hard to come by. I have 6 Bogos but they can only be used Thursday. I have the Empire Card, definitely takes the edge off. The terrain and conditions usually warrant the ticket price IMO.

BenedictGomez

Saturday is when I'll be using the Gore BOGO I scored in my, "The 2013/14 Lift ticket, ski voucher, BOGO, and coupon trading thread".

But yeah, one of the reasons that last year was the first time I ever skied Gore was the fact it's nearly impossible to find deals there.

Cornhead

It's only vacation week for Ontario. Quebec was last week.

Thanks, so I shouldn't rule out Jay? Gore is skiing great, they're claiming 20", maybe it's blown into the woods, I'm about to find out! Yes, Gore discounts are hard to come by, not as hard as Stowe though. I'm skiing on the Fox 44 Card today. I considered a half day pass, $59, but I'm not sure I'll be back this year. We got a voucher from Warren Miller last year, early, late, BOGO mid season. We didn't get it this year. I haven't redeemed my card yet, thinking of trying to redeem at a location that does get Gore, Rochester NY, Stamford CT IIRCC.

abc

Hey, definitely let us know.

I'll be up there for the weekend (and all of next week). Right now contemplating between Jay and Burke, the 2 mountains that gives discount for season pass holders from other mountains even on weekends. (Burke also has a $25 deal 12:30-4 on Sundays)

MadMadWorld

Thanks, so I shouldn't rule out Jay? Gore is skiing great, they're claiming 20", maybe it's blown into the woods, I'm about to find out! Yes, Gore discounts are hard to come by, not as hard as Stowe though. I'm skiing on the Fox 44 Card today. I considered a half day pass, $59, but I'm not sure I'll be back this year. We got a voucher from Warren Miller last year, early, late, BOGO mid season. We didn't get it this year. I haven't redeemed my card yet, thinking of trying to redeem at a location that does get Gore, Rochester NY, Stamford CT IIRCC.

The only reason I'm ruling out Jay is because of the Freeride Tour all weekend. Because of it, most if not all of the Ridge will be closed. Not sure how the event will effect lift lines since the only way up to it is the tram. I plan on hitting up Smuggs. Same snow totals and better terrain.

Rushski

Staying close to home tomorrow. Sunapee which will be in the middle of the Bob Skinner demos...May try to get on the widest skis I've ever skied (over 98)???