• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How long will NE ski resorts stay open?

sf77

With this recent dumping of snow, places like Killington have reported two feet of fresh powder. Many resorts have all of their terrain open and it is already the middle of March! When do you think that ski resorts in the northeast will stay open until? Middle of April, or maybe longer? Will MA ski resorts close before the beginning of April since they received no new snow?
Voice your opinion by responding here!

4aprice

This could be interesting this year. I consider a normal season to be approximately 11/15 to 4/15. Those are generally the dates that most of the big resorts in the Rockies use regardless of snow. A lot of the eastern areas are much the same. The cravat is that a vacation period falls the week after that so stretching it out to the following weekend (maybe with a closure between 4/16 and Good Friday) does not seem out of the question. 2 PA resorts down here have announced 4/5 as their last days of operation.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

HD333

I am hoping Sunday River makes it to the end of April, we have been invited up to a house that a non ski friend has rented for a party. I want to have a reason to have our equipment in the vehicle.

thetrailboss

Staff member
To answer the rhetorical question: as long as folks keep coming and they are making money.

It's almost always the case that places run out of skiers and riders before they run out of snow.

So show them some love.

MadMadWorld

To answer the rhetorical question: as long as folks keep coming and they are making money.

It's almost always the case that places run out of skiers and riders before they run out of snow.

So show them some love.

Indeed. Many mountains closed last year with 100% open terrain. Very sad to see

ScottySkis

I hpe Hunter stays open to mid April. Soke hills willl close like others have said becuse of lack of ppl coming.

dlague

Many ski areas have hard closing dates no matter what. I think the first big round of closures will come during the first and second week of April. Beyond that it is hard to keep temporary workers since they are off to get ready for the summer jobs. Then there are others who will stay open - the usual suspects Killington, Jay Peak Sugarloaf, Sugarbush - they generally try to get to the first weekend in May or beyond. It will be the same this year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Many ski areas have hard closing dates no matter what. I think the first big round of closures will come during the first and second week of April. Beyond that it is hard to keep temporary workers since they are off to get ready for the summer jobs. Then there are others who will stay open - the usual suspects Killington, Jay Peak Sugarloaf, Sugarbush - they generally try to get to the first weekend in May or beyond. It will be the same this year.

I'd agree with Killington, Jay, and Sugarloaf. Sugarbush lately has not been too committed to early openings and late closings.

As for out west, we've had some good dumps in the mountains, but it has been too warm here in Utah...much warmer than normal. Some of the lower elevation places are losing snow and, considering that we are still low for the year, we're going to see some close sooner rather than later. Snowbird and Alta have 300" for the season. Snowbird will go long into May no doubt. Hopefully things cool back down and we get more snow.

bigbog

Killington and Sugarloaf will go as long as the snowpack lasts.

Ditto dlague's...and there's always two to three weeks left of snow on a few trails after they close lifts @SL. It'll be interesting to see if spring is as strange as the winter has been... There's always hope for snow in May for strange Maine weather....but VT's elevation has always been the leader for a long season.

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
"How long will NE ski resorts stay open?" is a very different question from "How long can NE ski resorts stay open?" I don't think the answer is different this year from any other year. Certain areas pride themselves on their late season product, but many areas close with almost 100% of their trails skiable. The players into the late season product in the last half dozen years: Killington aiming for June; Mont St. Saveur(QC),Jay Peak, Sugarbush North (Mt. Ellen), Wildcat, Sugarloaf and Sunday River shoot for May.

soposkier

"How long will NE ski resorts stay open?" is a very different question from "How long can NE ski resorts stay open?" I don't think the answer is different this year from any other year. Certain areas pride themselves on their late season product, but many areas close with almost 100% of their trails skiable. The players into the late season product in the last half dozen years: Killington aiming for June; Mont St. Saveur(QC),Jay Peak, Sugarbush North (Mt. Ellen), Wildcat, Sugarloaf and Sunday River shoot for May.

Sunday River hasn't shot for May since ASC. Used to always enjoy the free ski day on May 1st though

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
"soposkier" is correct about Sunday River. Bretton Woods was another area that competed for (and won) "last to close" until a change in ownership following the 2006 season.

pcampbell

Mt Ellen usually closes pretty early.. mid late March. I think.
They do normally have great snow until end of April though.

We skied 1 trail on May 5th at Sugarbush last year.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

My girlfriend's spring break (teacher) is April 12th to April 20th.

I'm hoping somewhere in the DAX or n.VT will have enough snow that the woods will still be open, which would warrant a 4 day trip somewhere and a final hurrah to the 2013/14 ski season.

The long-range going 2 weeks out shows temps still below freezing on March 27th, so.........fingers crossed.

dlague

I'd agree with Killington, Jay, and Sugarloaf. Sugarbush lately has not been too committed to early openings and late closings.

As for out west, we've had some good dumps in the mountains, but it has been too warm here in Utah...much warmer than normal. Some of the lower elevation places are losing snow and, considering that we are still low for the year, we're going to see some close sooner rather than later. Snowbird and Alta have 300" for the season. Snowbird will go long into May no doubt. Hopefully things cool back down and we get more snow.

We skied Sugarbush last year on May 5th. For free!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member

Mount Ellen has not been opened for late season skiing since at least 2006 or so.

octopus

i was at final day for stratton last year.they could have stayed open much longer, it was actually kinda sad. the warm weather destroys snow real quick, tho

drjeff

Mount Snow has said that they're daily until at least Sunday April 6th and then beyond then its all up to the combo of snowpack and business volume and daily weather to determine if they stay in daily operation mode, weekend operation mode or stop the lifts spinning for the season.

The fact it the late season park set up at Carinthia tends to keep the business volume up enough to support at least weekend operations until melt out, and there's been some talk on the Mount Snow passholders site of keeping some type of lift access to the North face for spring bumps going this year rather than just Carinthia only. Time will tell....