• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 03.13.2014

WoodCore

I was watching this storm for a few days and took today off from work to get at the goods, wherever they may be! Was originally hoping for a major Vulcan deposit on Magic Mtn but that really didn't happen so a new game plan had to be developed. The drive up on Wednesday evening was extremely depressing!! It rained, it poured and then it poured harder. Basically drove up in a deluge and never saw a transition to snow. When I arrived in Ludlow around 9pm the precipitation had just started to switch back to snow and the 5" on the ground from earlier in the day had become water logged and primed to freeze solid. Was definitely rethinking my decision to head north and somewhat depressed that I had wasted a vacation day.

Regardless, woke up first thing and assessed the conditions. Listening to the wind howl, I was perplexed and didn't think any lifts would run! We took a chance on Killington and were rewarded with perhaps the best day of the season! 25" of blower on a Thursday in March, Score!!

Skied from 9:30 until 4pm and made are way around a ton of terrain. Regardless of your choice everything was simply amazing. The snow was deep in the woods, ridiculously deep and we spent much of our time there! Chop-Chop held some of the most memorable turns but, the plethora of other trees skied were equally as good.

Even the trails were amazing! Can't remember making turns down Killington's signature runs in better conditions. Escapade, Dipper, Fiddle and others skied without a hint of scratch. Even hit up a couple butter your bread runs in the
south ridge area!

Epic Day!!!!

Here's some pics.......

photo_03132014.jpg

Cornhead

What, no pics of Jim Cantore? He earned some turns on Superstar this morning prior to opening. He looked pretty good, he's an avid skier, wonder if he's an AZ member?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Euler

I was there as wll on the 13th..simply unbelievable. Snow was literally knee deep in many places. Run after run after run, my daughter and I would stop, panting at the bottom to say "That might have been one of the best runs of my life!" We skied Pico in the AM...I'll probably have some pix later...then K in the PM...At Killington we skiied Powerline, then found squeezeplay woods and my daughter chose to ski that three times in a row!...headed back to K-! thinking we were done and saw the lift attendant motioning us into the line to get one more run in at 4:00 exactly...finished the two days with a phenomenal Double Dipper. Best ski trip of my life!

Wavewheeler

:thumbup: Sweet! Looks a lot like Plattekill did after the Feb 13 storm. Even better. I can't wait to head up there on Tuesday night. Hopefully it will still be great. I hear there is more to come and I'm hoping that the Wed-Thursday event that is forecast is white, not wet! I'm praying that the elevation will be our friend.

I'm assuming they will be grooming a lot in the meantime. I know that's a dirty word for many here but my daughter and I like some groomers.

A few years ago we drove up in similar conditions...Rain all the way up, even through Rutland. Then as we hit the mountain it changed to snow. Snowed all night too. So you never know what you'll get when you head up the mountain.:snow: Can't base it on what's down in the valley.

Wavewheeler

They said on their report that they would be grooming mostly greens and blues and blacks like Outer Limits, Superstar and Cascade. My daughter will be very happy. I don't mind some powder thrown up my way and can handle it but she just freaks out and starts yelling about "why they don't groom the mountain?". :lol:

Fortunately she's a good sport and when I get the itch to ride blacks we'll split up for awhile and meet later. I can't tell you how many times she's waited for me at the Superstar chair shaking her head. I'll get her down it someday. ;)

dlague

I am sold! I will have to gamble and see what this weekend brings at Killington. Hope the crowds are not too crazy! I went to school with Jim Cantore while at LSC. He got me shit faced at our graduation party at mid Burke lodge!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Wavewheeler

What I don't get is why, with daylight lasting until 6:30 pm, they STILL close the lifts at 4pm. They should keep them open now until at least 5pm now that we have the extra hour of daylight.

Cornhead

What I don't get is why, with daylight lasting until 6:30 pm, they STILL close the lifts at 4pm. They should keep them open now until at least 5pm now that we have the extra hour of daylight.

I thought the same thing after skiing Gore Thursday afternoon, lots of Sunshine left after 4. I would've appreciated another hour, or two.

steamboat1

I thought the same thing after skiing Gore Thursday afternoon, lots of Sunshine left after 4. I would've appreciated another hour, or two.

Yeah, it's not like we don't pay enough!

Holy Christ, skiing is great & you guys are still complaining.