• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Closings 2014

MadMadWorld

Best way to keep many mountains open is to continue to ski as much as you did in the winter months. It would be hard to close if they are continuing to turn a profit

boston_e

Best way to keep many mountains open is to continue to ski as much as you did in the winter months. It would be hard to close if they are continuing to turn a profit

I would assume anyone interested enough to be on this thread pretty much does. For the most part, It's the one or two trips a year types that assume the snow is gone in the mountains once they can't see it out their back window.

Savemeasammy

Hopefully my injuries are behind me - I plan on doing my part!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boston_e

Vermont Closing Dates were just announced.. I am shocked at the amount of March dates here, although glad to see some in May as well:

Cochran’s Ski Area: March 23, 2014
Suicide Six Ski Area: March 23, 2014
Northeast Slopes: March 30, 2014
Middlebury College Snow Bowl: March 30, 2014
Quechee Ski Area: March 30, 2014
Pico Mountain: March 30, 2014
Bolton Valley: April 6, 2014
Bromley Mountain: April 6, 2014
Magic Mountain: April 6, 2014
Q Burke Mountain: April 6, 2014
Mount Snow: mid-April
Okemo Mountain Resort: April 13, 2014
Stratton Mountain Resort: April 13, 2014
Smugglers’ Notch Resort: April 13, 2014
Stowe Mountain Resort: April 20, 2014
Sugarbush Resort: May 4, 2014
Jay Peak Resort: May 11, 2014
Killington Resort: TBD
Mad River Glen: TBD

Picos website earlier today referenced pushing back their closing date based on the conditions.

dlague

I would assume anyone interested enough to be on this thread pretty much does. For the most part, It's the one or two trips a year types that assume the snow is gone in the mountains once they can't see it out their back window.

We will be out there until Killington closes!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Wavewheeler

Looking out the window here at Killington I would think that if this weather pattern continues and things stay cold you could easily ski to May from central VT on up. I can't believe any resort would close in March.

Rowsdower

Looking out the window here at Killington I would think that if this weather pattern continues and things stay cold you could easily ski to May from central VT on up. I can't believe any resort would close in March.

It's not dependent on snow in a lot of cases. Many of these hills simply won't pull the business necessary to pay to keep the lifts turning.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Vermont Closing Dates were just announced.. I am shocked at the amount of March dates here, although glad to see some in May as well:

(snip)

Is the point of these announcements so mountains get the most possible business before they close - "ski it while you can"? I understand how/why demand drops off the deeper you get into spring but it just seems incongruous, and perhaps ill-advised from a marketing perspective (especially if you're already selling next year's season passes), to announce a throw-in-the-towel date when it's still so cold and snowy.

As an MRG shareholder I am biased but I really like their approach: Stay open as long as it's safe/won't damage terrain and at least 50% of costs can be covered - which means merely 28 lift tickets sold per day. MRG opening/closing policy

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can't believe any resort would close in March.

Well save for Pico and Quechee (kind of) none of the March closings are "resorts" per se. More like community ski hills that draw limited destination skiers.

Does K allow Pico only pass holders to ski there when they shut Pico down for the season? If not I would think k it would be good form to maybe offer half off on the spring beast pass.

canobie#1

Yawgoo Valley is done for the season.

Why the hell did whaleback close so early? I passsed it today and there was a groomer out on the face..

Edd

Yawgoo Valley is done for the season.

Why the hell did whaleback close so early? I passsed it today and there was a groomer out on the face..

Grooming could be for an end of season party for the staff.

Savemeasammy

Grooming could be for an end of season party for the staff.

Probably for a snowmobile hill climb. I believe that is part of the reason Pats sets a hard close date. I think they have a snowmobile hill climb. Pretty lame in my book....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app