• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Closings 2014

twinplanx

PLATTY will not be open Sunday.

Come to JHunter i be their so will are regulars from here.

Hunter does not compare to Plattekill. And you can tell DMC I said that. Maybe I'm missing something but I can't justify the drive from here to there(hunta) Sucks that Platty couldn't make it happen :-(

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

skiNEwhere

Steamboat is going to close tomorrow, while still 100% open.

That's def one thing I miss about the east coast. The major resorts would usually stay open if they still had a lot of terrain

Quietman

Here a couple of pics from tonight's hike. getting some thin spot but still primo
crotch4.JPG

Comet drop is well covered.
crotch5.JPG

Platform on Moonwalk is a great spot to view the sunsets.
crotch6.JPG

Velolcity has some to the best coverage.
crotch87.JPG

A few of the light "shields are attached, much ado about nothing.
new ligt shases.jpg

Last edited:

pcampbell

nice pics there ,looks like decent coverage still.

MRG is done officially. they were supposed to ski today but it's pouring. Funny, I hadn't checked today's weather and thought it was going to be overcast and 50.

No matter.. My 3 year old and I ripped it up all afternoon yesterday on the double.

I'm going to skin up this afternoon in the rain with my dog. :(

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

MRG is done officially. they were supposed to ski today but it's pouring. Funny, I hadn't checked today's weather and thought it was going to be overcast and 50.

No matter.. My 3 year old and I ripped it up all afternoon yesterday on the double.

I'm going to skin up this afternoon in the rain with my dog. :(

I can respect this decision by MRG, but they should have given a heads-up yesterday that this was a possibility. Hopefully no one is caught off guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin

I can respect this decision by MRG, but they should have given a heads-up yesterday that this was a possibility. Hopefully no one is caught off guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liftopia refunded my MRG tickets, their policy when a mountain closes. Given the amount of snow in areas I'm surprised. The area around the base was probably a pond though.

pcampbell

It is too bad, because the rain disappeared at like noon and the sun came out.... Lots of people skinning up , so I can imagine it would have been decently busy if they kept it open from the start.

dlague

Liftopia refunded my MRG tickets, their policy when a mountain closes. Given the amount of snow in areas I'm surprised. The area around the base was probably a pond though.

Were they closed on Saturday? If so, glad I went to Cannon because Saturday there was primo!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Plowboy

MRG was open sat.....pulled the plug way to early sun. Rain stopped at 10:30, by noon it was bluebird!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
MRG was open sat.....pulled the plug way to early sun. Rain stopped at 10:30, by noon it was bluebird!

The forecast called for rain most of the day, at least here in Ottawa, however for some reason, it didn't start raining until 7pm. All the remaining ski areas around Ottawa and some in the Laurentians closed due to that forecast...oh well. I went to Edelweiss for the year-end party last night (they closed on April 6th) and there was barely a bare spot on the entire hill. However that might change today, temps is suppose to go up to 75 today then dropping with a possible 2cm of snow overnight. I'm almost done with weekly update on who's open/close for next weekend. The number is now down to 40; it was at 89 when I posted last week.

fbrissette

Wachusett officially threw in the towel today.

Today and tomorrow morning are gonna be deadly for the amount of natural snow left. You can easily lose a half an inch of snow-water equivalent per day.

Look at those estimates of snow depth over the past 4 days.

snowdepth_10.jpg
snowdepth_!4.jpg

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Wachusett officially threw in the towel today.

D’Oh!!!! :-o

I just finished compiling my list for my blog. It wasn’t on their website 2 hours ago. Like Fbrisette mentioned, it going to be a hard day for the snowpack. I’ll remove Wachusett from my list and try to edit the blog post a few times with the latest info.

In the meanwhile, here are the 40....euh, 39 ski areas that are hoping to spin sometime Easter weekend.

Late Easter, Late Spring, Late Skiing – Eastern Closing Thread 2013-14 – Part 3
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014...skiing-eastern-closing-thread-2013-14-part-3/

Last edited:

wa-loaf

I just finished compling my list for my blog. It wasn’t on their website 2 hours ago. Like Fbrisette mentioned, it going to be a hard day for the snowpack. I’ll remove Wachusett from my list and try to edit the blog post a few times with the lastest info.

They announced it on facebook. I know they were thinking about making it to next weekend, but I think too many days in the 70's sealed the deal.

BenedictGomez

Today and tomorrow morning are gonna be deadly for the amount of natural snow left. You can easily lose a half an inch of snow-water equivalent per day.

Look at those estimates of snow depth over the past 4 days.

View attachment 12376
View attachment 12377

Smuggs is losing lots of snow today. Plenty of bare spots, and the snow is completely ripe, so the rain tomorrow is going to do some major damage. Skiing today in sweatpants and a shortsleeve shirt is nice, but I think the end is near without colder temps and some snow. Exposure direction seems huge, as today will probably be the last day for Poacher's Woods, but Highlander Glades has almost no bare spots, even though both those glades are pretty close to each other on the mountain.

dlague

I just finished compiling my list for my blog. It wasn’t on their website 2 hours ago. Like Fbrisette mentioned, it going to be a hard day for the snowpack. I’ll remove Wachusett from my list and try to edit the blog post a few times with the latest info.

In the meanwhile, here are the 40....euh, 39 ski areas that are hoping to spin sometime Easter weekend.

Late Easter, Late Spring, Late Skiing – Eastern Closing Thread 2013-14 – Part 3
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014...skiing-eastern-closing-thread-2013-14-part-3/

Maybe 39 now but after this weekend it looks like 7 will remain!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Maybe 39 now but after this weekend it looks like 7 will remain!

I counted 12 that seem to mentioned that they might go beyond Easter Monday.

Whiteface – April 20 or more
Jay – May 11 or more (tentative)
Killington – May 3 minimum
Sugarbush – TBD
Wildcat – April 20 or more
Sugarloaf – TBD

Orford – April 27 (Fri-Sun only then tentative)
St-Sauveur – May 11
Sutton – April 21 or maybe May
Comi – April 21 or more (Wed-Easter Monday only)
Massif du Sud – April 27 (Fri-Sun only then tentative)
Ste.Anne – April 27 (next Fri-Mon only)

dlague

I counted 12 that seem to mentioned that they might go beyond Easter Monday.

Whiteface – April 20 or more
Jay – May 11 or more (tentative)
Killington – May 3 minimum
Sugarbush – TBD
Wildcat – April 20 or more
Sugarloaf – TBD

Orford – April 27 (Fri-Sun only then tentative)
St-Sauveur – May 11
Sutton – April 21 or maybe May
Comi – April 21 or more (Wed-Easter Monday only)
Massif du Sud – April 27 (Fri-Sun only then tentative)
Ste.Anne – April 27 (next Fri-Mon only)

Still pretty good! It will be interesting to see who makes it to the first weekend in May! I was thinking how rarely some of the people on this site cross paths and ski the same ski area and now our choices are dwindling fast so mini meetups should be easy!

WWF-VT

It was a tough call for MRG. I walked my dog in the rain at 9:30 at Mt Ellen and rain was in the forecast for most of the day. I skied at Lincoln Peak at Sugarbush from 12 to 3 and there were probably around 100 people on the whole mountain. I don't think MRG would have had that many people on Sunday.