• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Remember March two years ago?

Quietman

My recollection is that Killington only had 3 trails open with no beginner terrain & all the Brits were sent to Sunday River. Thank God Nyberg is not in charge anymore.

Sunday River turned the guns back on the 1st week in April to attract the brits and get the business. They also had a lot of snow invested in the huge Dumont Cup Jump line that was then used to cover Sunday Punch, and other trails in the area. Some of jumps were at chair level.
dun.JPG
sd,jpg.JPG
sp.JPG

The most snow was blown on Estacy/Cascade, Lazy River, and the Mixing Bowl areas. Gave the Brits a place to ski/party.

No way to bother blowing in Jordans with 4-5' rocks sticking out of the snow.

RA.JPG

Looking mighty different this year!!

Glenn

Skiing when the temps were that warm was really odd. I remember skiing a half day, then raking the lawn to clean up for spring. That heat just killed the snow though. The season came to an abrupt end after that. Ironically, the last day that year was cool and cloudy.

steamboat1

Skiing when the temps were that warm was really odd. I remember skiing a half day, then raking the lawn to clean up for spring. That heat just killed the snow though. The season came to an abrupt end after that. Ironically, the last day that year was cool and cloudy.

Yes it was but the several days before were gorgeous (bluebird with temps about 70). I skipped the last day at K because it cooled down & rained. The top of Supe headwall washed out but the rest of the trail had excellent coverage. Even Skyelark & lower Bitter were still open but you had to walk to get to them (not a big deal really). Still ski on ski off the lift, no carrying ski's on the lift required. Truthfully I think they could have gone at least another week but Nyberg was still making the calls. I've skied Supe with a lot less coverage. Even last years closing weekend (free skiing) had much less coverage. Just have to watch out for those black flies on warm sunny days.

Last edited:

Euler

Two years ago I skipped the entire season. Looks like I made a good choice as to what year to take off!

fbrissette

Feel as though they're being a bit generous there.

Looks reasonably accurate to me. There is 4 feet on the ground at my Jay condo (a full 125cm ski pole) and nearly twice that at higher elevation. What I see in Montreal also matches quite well. In my work we also validated SNODAS with some local snow models and data and they tracked reasonably well.

dlague

Looks reasonably accurate to me. There is 4 feet on the ground at my Jay condo (a full 125cm ski pole) and nearly twice that at higher elevation. What I see in Montreal also matches quite well. In my work we also validated SNODAS with some local snow models and data and they tracked reasonably well.

Well in Concord, NH there should be 12-20 inches which is the case where I live which is higher up but at lower elevations there is hardly any thing left. Manchester, NH it's all gone with the exception of shaded areas.

pcampbell

I always love looking back at prior years.... I throw up pics from time to time throughout the season, usually including first and last snows which makes it easy to quickly look back and gauge conditions

So yeah we should all stop complaining already and go ski....

March 17th, 2012:
AoN5QmOCIAE-VXx.jpg

March 23rd, downloading at Mt Ellen
AosFInJCIAEAzIr.jpg

Interesting skiing at Mt Ellen....

AosGuysCIAA5paV.jpg:large

Lots of Snow above like 1750 ft (ish?), April 11:

AqPTis5CMAASES1.jpg

Last snow I could find here, May 12, I did not ski it:
AsoQxbRCEAAieUq.jpg

Attachments

• AqPTis5CMAASES1.jpg
    AqPTis5CMAASES1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 56

KevinF

Yeah, I remember that spell... I was going to do the Boston Ski & Sports Club trip to Whiteface at the end of March, and I watched their "open trail count" go from nearly 100% open to two trails or something ridiculous like that. Thankfully the BSSC was able to back out and we got our money back.

Some friends and I were skiing Stowe and MRG in some of the most ridiculous conditions I've ever skied. We were starting the day in t-shirts.

Somewhere at MRG:
003.jpg

Mansfield Chin (it usually looks actually ski-able in March):
016.jpg

Stowe's weather board:
053.jpg