• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Remember March two years ago?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
From NWS BTV FB:

Remember just 2 years ago??? We were just starting an epic week of warmth, with highs in the 70s and 80s across the North Country. This year, well, what can we say? Winter hangs on and we will struggle to reach just "normal" highs while being a good 40+ degrees colder than this time 2 years ago. Mid-March weather can be maddening. Anyone have any March 2012 memories to share?

march.jpg

wa-loaf

Yeah, Sugarloaf struggled to pull off the AZ Summit by making snow in March. I think that's the main reason we are now having the Summit in February these days.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Spent 2 days at Whiteface. It snowed 6" the day before I showed up, was in the 20s when I arrived, first day was in the 50s, second day was pushing 70. Huge ponds were forming near the base lodge from the melt. Drove home in shorts and a t-shirt.

BenedictGomez

Recall walking back to the parking lot at Jay to remove layers, later having to take off my gloves, and fantasticly soft glade bumps.

dlague

I recall being at work and watching resort after resort falling to the wayside! Stark contrast to this year - loving March of this year!

Cannonball

I usually track my days in an informal journal. I just went to look back at March 2012 and found that I had quit maintaining the journal sometime in Mid-January 2012. Then I have an entry at the end of April that says: "Ski season was the worst in memory. Warm temps and terrible snowfall amounts. Did get some good days but not many. No XC days." I might be bumping up my 2014 grade even higher after reading that.

Quietman

Kayaking on North Pond looking at where we were supposed to be skiing, Mt Abram. 3/22/12

mt abram2.JPG

Open run at Wildcat 3/23/12

WC.JPG

Lower Lazy River chocolate snow at SR 3/24/12

TT.JPG

Skiing Rogue Angel at SR 3/24/12

RA.JPG

legalskier

From NWS BTV FB:

Remember just 2 years ago??? We were just starting an epic week of warmth, with highs in the 70s and 80s across the North Country....Anyone have any March 2012 memories to share?

1) Unfortunately yes.
2) Many places were closed around the third week of March. I recall that NE areas contacted the British kids who had scheduled their ski trips & told them not to bother. A friend of mine was at Snow that week & said it was like water skiing, only on the snow.
www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/skiing/articles/2012/03/23/new_england_ski_areas_closing_early_due_to_warm_weather/

Do I remember it? Yep....but I'd rather not.
:sad:

steamboat1

2) Many places were closed around the third week of March. I recall that NE areas contacted the British kids who had scheduled their ski trips & told them not to bother.
My recollection is that Killington only had 3 trails open with no beginner terrain & all the Brits were sent to Sunday River. Thank God Nyberg is not in charge anymore.

Wavewheeler

March 2012 started with a trip up to Gore. It was Leap Day, Feb 29 and I drove up in a raging snowstorm. The first day of March, 2012 came in like a lion. 12" of powder to ski in for the next 2 days. Then, then on the 3rd day I woke up to rain and then the sun came up and temps soared into the 60s. Snow as all gone I never saw it again. :(

By the mid to end of March I was hiking up the trail in the Catskills to the Hunter Mountain fire tower and sweating bullets. It was 80 degrees, the sun was out. The top was down and the doors off my Jeep but there was still snow on the top of the mountain and on the trails but the chairs were empty and all was silent. It was eerie.