• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burn all your old skis, farm animals, and virgins...

BenedictGomez

The Good News: There is now undeniably strong agreement on all major models that a big storm will hit next week, even the crappy US Government (GFS) model shows it now (though it shows it farther east and OTS mostly, but that's okay because that model stinks anyway, important thing is a storm is shown now).

The Bad News: The strong model agreement is that this is a coastal storm with the jackpot areas being closer to the coast (i.e. not in most of ski country).

The Silver Lining: Any snow is good snow, especially in late March

wa-loaf

My (totally non-scientific, anti-jinxing, curmudgeon) predictions:

Scenario 1: Storm blows up, dumps 3 feet of snow in CT/MA but there is a sharp cutoff on the north side and NVT gets 2.567” (still more snow than we have received in the last 3 weeks). White Mtns heavily shadow the NEK.
Probability=40%

Scenario 2: Storm is a cutter and tracks through Ottawa, dumping 3” of hot rain on New England.
Probability=40%

Scenario 3: The storm barely organizes and produces widespread snow showers in NE that accumulate enough to barely cover the dirt 3 week old snow currently on the ground. Shovels stay in the garage.
Probability=40%

See what I did there? :)

I'm down with the 120% forecast.

Glenn

This could be interesting. A little gabber about it out of the NWS Albany office. They're not saying much though since the models aren't all agreeing.

drjeff

Sorry but if it only falls in the flatlands or SNE it's basically useless...and it only means I have to break out the snowblower again. Here's hoping this one moves north.

On the flipside though an I-95 corridor storm would both curtail kids outdoor spring sports practices AND get a bunch more people thinking about skiing again, which would me some extra business in ski country at a time that they usually see steep drop off in business which could translate into more areas staying open longer! Most major ski areas have a significant enough snow pack right now to got deep into April or beyond given the overall colder than normal temperature trend that is expected to stay around for a while. It's all about getting more folks to the hill, at least on the weekends now, to keep as many areas spinning the lifts as possible! I'd rather see some crowds on the slopes in the late season than see signs reading "closed for the season" on the slopes! :)

catsup948

This storm could be a real monster! Southern Vermont, Catskills, Berkshires, Mountain Creek, Wawa, Blue Hill, Central Park, whales in the ocean. Who knows! Who cares! It's the end of March!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

xwhaler

This storm could be a real monster! Southern Vermont, Catskills, Berkshires, Mountain Creek, Wawa, Blue Hill, Central Park, whales in the ocean. Who knows! Who cares! It's the end of March!

A good old fashioned weather rant! Love it sir!

wa-loaf

The TV weather folks are starting to talk about a storm on Wednesday next week. Probably means nothing will happen now.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

tumblr_ma60zlRdhJ1qbhnrvo1_500.png

Attachments

• dogs-and-cats-living-together.png
    dogs-and-cats-living-together.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 114