• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My new skis

wa-loaf

Great hooking up with you today. I'll write up something about the skis a little later.

Root16

Here's a video of my first time on powder skis. Mishka and I have same boot size so he was kind enough to let me try his MR100s out!

It's a bit hard for me to review them as I have never skied on a powder ski before so cannot compare them to anything; I've never skied on anything like them. I have been skiing on race skis or all mountain/performance skis all my life. This season I've been enjoying a used pair of Volkl Tigershark 12ft that I got on Craigslist (a great carver ski that somehow manage to be a blast in the woods). Even though the MR100s are *super light* compared to my clunkers (I have for the last 13 years been trying to master skiing on race or race inspired all mountain skis) I have to say I really like my Tigersharks; I like the technique I need to bring to them in order to ski in the woods with them. That said, Mishka's skis are very easy to ski in the powder. They did require some getting used to as they are so light and nimble. As another reviewer said, they don't require much muscle to turn. I need to test the MR100s out more (or maybe the 110s). Mishka and I are going up to Saddleback early tomorrow morning so I'm hoping I can demo the 100s or 110s some more.

My verdict so far is I prefer my Volkl's. I love how they perform in all conditions with untracked powder being the only snow I don't really like taking them in as falling becomes very likely. Everything else, even lightly tracked powder, is a blast on my Volkls. The MR100s ski so easily that for someone like me who has been trying to improve my aggressive technique I don't find as much joy in turning them. The lightness and suppleness (lack of stiffness) took some getting used to. I didn't try to ski them like a carver ski, but only put them to the test when in the woods. I think I would enjoy the MR110s as, I understand, they are a bit stiffer.

Additional thoughts: I was half expecting the experience of skiing powder and trees on a ski tailored for such conditions to be a night and day difference over my skis which aren't specifically designed for such conditions. I thought they'd be much more fun than my all mountain ski that I would never look back. Granted, most of the snow we were skiing was compacted powder that had been previously tracked. Given that, I was, in a way, pleasantly surprised that I hadn't been wasting my time skiing in the woods on my all mountain skis. Basically, I was surprised that I prefer skiing on my skis in natural snow that has been tracked than skiing in untracked, fresh powder on powder skis. That said, I think I would have enjoyed Mishkas skis more in champagne powder than in the snow we were skiing in. This is all just first impressions, though. More MRski testing needs to be done.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

I skied with Mishka a couple weeks ago at WA and owe him this review!

Skied the MR 110 and 100 on mostly groomers with loose granular and some icy spots. I had been doing a demo day at the mtn and these were the last skis of the day. Me 47 5'9" 210lbs fairly aggressive expert.

Started out with the MR110:
When I first got these on they felt a little reluctant to initiate a turn, but I think that just might be because I came off of a pair of 15r race skis right before.

Once I shook off the transition these were great! They feel a little quicker edge to edge than my Soul 7s (which I love) and just as light on the feet. I played with quick turns in the soft snow on the edges and they were a lot of fun, I can imagine they'd be great in the trees and chopped up crud/pow. After that I was blasting GS turns with them and was very pleased with the edge hold on the icy Smith Walton head wall. If I didn't already have the Soul 7s I'd consider these as a replacement!

MR100:
My initial impression was these are just as fun as the 110, but even quicker. They really responded in the loose snow. So expecting similar performance I took them to the firmer part of the hill ... and there was no edge grip ... I laid them over like I had been on the 110 and nearly slipped out. I think they were just due for a good edge sharpening and it's not due to the construction. I kind of consider this review unfinished because I'd like to try them again with a proper tune as they seem to have a lot of potential.

Still need to test out the MR87 too. Mishka is doing greatwork and I'd definitely recommend him to anyone looking for a custom pair of skis!

Root16

Here's a video from a little later in the afternoon; my second run on the MR100s, demonstrating their nimbleness and control:

mishka

new design MR90 130-90-120 177cm

while other skis has specific designation this one will be all mountain. Tip rocker, camber, flat tail

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 58

Root16

Went to Wachusett with Mishka and tested out a pair of 175 MR custom skis. These had 87 under foot and about a foot I think of rocker. They were a blast for the conditions (mashed potatoes, temps in the 50s). They handled the snow really well, and even though I couldn't see (heavy fog all day) I could trust the skis enough to plow through the heavy wet snow without seeing the snow first. By the afternoon the snow was getting a bit challenging, but still handled the conditions much better than my Volkl 12ft all mountain skis would have. Mishka got the binding balance (front/back position) perfect. Even though the skis don't have much sidecut and no camber, I was still able to carve them. It turns out they are excellent for jumps, too. I caught some crazy air when I went off a lip and suddenly found myself 10 feet or so up in the air. The landing was seamless. Later, another jump, not quite as high, but I was in the back seat and should have landed on my ass but somehow the skis handled the landing very well. I'm looking forward to skiing on them again when we go up to Cannon or Sugarbush or Killington or wherever we end up going on Thursday. Although I would also like to try something very similar but in a longer length (maybe 180 or 185). I may test out the 185s again (110 under foot).

Anyway, I highly recommend you try out his 175/87s I tested as they are an awesome spring skiing ski.

Puck it

Went to Wachusett with Mishka and tested out a pair of 175 MR custom skis. These had 87 under foot and about a foot I think of rocker. They were a blast for the conditions (mashed potatoes, temps in the 50s). They handled the snow really well, and even though I couldn't see (heavy fog all day) I could trust the skis enough to plow through the heavy wet snow without seeing the snow first. By the afternoon the snow was getting a bit challenging, but still handled the conditions much better than my Volkl 12ft all mountain skis would have. Mishka got the binding balance (front/back position) perfect. Even though the skis don't have much sidecut and no camber, I was still able to carve them. It turns out they are excellent for jumps, too. I caught some crazy air when I went off a lip and suddenly found myself 10 feet or so up in the air. The landing was seamless. Later, another jump, not quite as high, but I was in the back seat and should have landed on my ass but somehow the skis handled the landing very well. I'm looking forward to skiing on them again when we go up to Cannon or Sugarbush or Killington or wherever we end up going on Thursday. Although I would also like to try something very similar but in a longer length (maybe 180 or 185). I may test out the 185s again (110 under foot).

Anyway, I highly recommend you try out his 175/87s I tested as they are an awesome spring skiing ski.
I am thinking of skiing Thursday at Kton.

mishka

for now we were thinking about Sugarbush only because we both have free tickets. would you like to join us at Sugarbush?

Actually I don't know who would have better coverage?

Puck it

for now we were thinking about Sugarbush only because we both have free tickets. would you like to join us at Sugarbush?

Actually I don't know who would have better coverage?

I have a free pass on my express card and my cannon pass

dlague

Repost:

Friday at Killington was fun day! Got to ski with mishka and wa_loaf for a few runs. So, thought the corn snow was kind of heavy at first. Looked like everything was left ungroomed which is good. I think the skis my wife and I were using were a little soft IMO. Then I used mishka's skis and everything changed. The first pair which were the narrower of the two I skied did ski nice. Being stiffer they seemed to cut through the corn with ease. The rise while not pitch up at the tip very much seemed to ride over the snow well too. The second pair around 98 under foot (sorry if off a little) were a little softer but also skied well over the corn bumps. While skiing SS earlier on my skies I was getting kicked around but with mishka's skies it was not problem. Skiing his skies made me realize that a change in ski was needed for Saturday at Sugarbush. Thanks miska for sharing your craft it was fun. WA _ loaf thanks for the runs as well who BTW was skiing mishka's 110s. It was a short day for us but a good day.

I enjoyed the wood sound mishka's skis made and it peaked my curiosity with respect to constructing skis.

mishka

as a ski season ending I want to thanks everyone for kind words and be part of R & D team.

My gratitude to Tin and Root16. If not for you many most incredible my skiing days, this season, would never happen

special thanks to skiNEwere to host first R&D week in Colorado.

Now ski making season officially started .
I have plans to make one more new design and MRskis website....blog. Where I can put most of information in one place instead of spreads over (for the moment) over 15 pages

Savemeasammy

I was glad to be able to demo the MR87's this year. I'll be curious to learn about what you have in store for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

mishka

I was glad to be able to demo the MR87's this year. I'll be curious to learn about what you have in store for next season.

I haven't decided yet on final design. Definitely not the powder skis because MR110 and MR100 proved to be perfect design

actually I be very interested to hear research team opinions on next design. not necessarily in form of dimensions I'm more interested in people feeling of the skis and what they feel would be nice to add/change for example stiffness, side cut... Etc.

xwhaler

Any thoughts on attempting a carving oriented ski for hardpack days? Something in the 75-85 waist? Just curious and glad you had a great season....sorry we missed each this yr

mishka

Any thoughts on attempting a carving oriented ski for hardpack days? Something in the 75-85 waist? Just curious and glad you had a great season....sorry we missed each this yr

that's what I want to do.
Most of my skis preform well on the hard pack. Especially MR-87 but by no means I consider them as a hard pack dedicated skis.

so far my thoughts: Smaller rocker in the tip, flat tail, camber. Definitely tighter turn radius compare to 87's

xwhaler

that's what I want to do.
Most of my skis preform well on the hard pack. Especially MR-87 but by no means I consider them as a hard pack dedicated skis.

so far my thoughts: Smaller rocker in the tip, flat tail, camber. Definitely tighter turn radius compare to 87's

Nice. Makes sense and if u do build Id love to give them a spin as I'm in the market for a dedicated hardpack ski

mishka

Nice. Makes sense and if u do build Id love to give them a spin as I'm in the market for a dedicated hardpack ski

what you mean IF? lol it's not IF it's WHEN :lol: problem is we can't test them until October.

You can read reviews on mr87 they would give general picture of what to expect

btw now it would be good time for some input