• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My new skis

mishka

This season I built 4 pair skis. 2 for me and 2 for a friends.

Last two have similar construction wood core Maple/Basswood with Ironwood sidewall. The only change in construction from first pair addition of carbon fiber

This skis for the is not for downhill. They are mountaineering/ hunting for hunter friend. He wanted short wide skis to replace snowshoes.
Dimensions :
145-125-130 30cm tip rocker flat tail 165cm 1800g each

3_zps443f5dd3.jpg

My latest pair MR-110 I finished yesterday will be dedicated pow/soft snow skis. Finally I have skis to take out West.
Construction similar to above.
Dimensions:
140-110-125 185cm R-18m 1950g each. For skis the size they very light. Same construction as a previous pair. Tip and tale rocker. 2mm camber.

fresh out of the press.... I felt like kid on Christmas morning when opening the cassette
1_zps4cc96108.jpg

all cleaned up

3_zps55f68ba1.jpg

tip rocker

4_zpsd7341543.jpg

tail rocker

5_zps0ef9be7b.jpg

If all goes well I'm going to wawa on Monday for the first test run of MR-110

twinplanx

Awesome! Just curious what it costs you to build a few sets of skis?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

mishka

I want to try those!

It can be arranged.
I'm planning to be at wawa on Monday. While it's probably not the best conditions for them need to try them. M
Other than that we can do Cannon sometimes midweek, tufer day will work for me and call it "MR custom skis demo day" I forgot who bring vodka ?:snow:

skifree

Very cool. If you ever decide to sell to public I will be in line

mishka

Very cool. If you ever decide to sell to public I will be in line

I'll keep that in mind.

Do you know what you want?
Would be good idea if you can try what I got. Not as a demo of production skis but more in a way of part of the process designing skis specifically build for you and for that I need starting point

mishka

first day on new skis yesterday at wawa. Conditions edgeble frozen groomers average midwinter like today with less of the people at the end of the March.
As a strange it might sound for the skis that size this is by far my best day on groomers. If to put in numbers from 1 to 10 I would rate them at.........................15. Not because I made them because it is what it is. They are quick and nimble, stable, quiet with zero vibration. For the skis with almost 30 cm rocker in front no wings flapping. What I like the most on my skis compared to factory made is "sweet spot". Well they don't have a spot because all ski is a sweet spot I could drive them leaned forward or in the backseat or even way back in a backseat and still be balanced and in control.
I wanted to leave about one o'clock instead for two more hours I did " one more run"

Well I'm the ski maker and my opinion can be considered bias... But until we get "independent review" that's all that I can to say about the skis for now. Need to get way up north to try intended snow conditions

mishka

I should name the skis "one more run " because that's what I been doing just one more run and keep going for an hour. Yesterday with higher temperatures and rain marsh potatos snow ... simply great . Combined with my new atomic rt 130 bots I could rail marsh potatoes like a racecourse

Couple better pictures
9_zps31141158.jpg

10_zps2a440aae.jpg

Last edited:

Cannonball

Miska, this is awesome!! I am really blown away by what you are doing! When I saw your first pair I was already impressed, but these seem to really step it up. It is so cool that you are able to handcraft exactly what you want.

Next time we have a chance to meet up, I'll bring the ski boots instead of snowboard. I'd love to take one of your models for a spin. If you'll let me.

mishka

Miska, this is awesome!! I am really blown away by what you are doing! When I saw your first pair I was already impressed, but these seem to really step it up. It is so cool that you are able to handcraft exactly what you want.

Next time we have a chance to meet up, I'll bring the ski boots instead of snowboard. I'd love to take one of your models for a spin. If you'll let me.

thank you.
Last pair came out really good in performance and in looks. Now I have base model and from this point will be easier tweaked performance even further for specific needs. for example torsionaly stiffer or softer, stiffer tip or tail or any possible combination.

next I'm going to make slightly smaller version of MR110 something like 130-100-115 and little bit shorter maybe 180. this will be my next season every day skis

Also from now on, except for sidewall, I'm going to use ONLY locally grown wood. In the future only specific cut from the tree which best for skis.

why wait? We can do Cannon sometimes next week.

Cannonball

So I finally got a chance to ski the whole line of MR Custom Skis at Cannon today. What a great demo deal, the ski maker skis the whole mountain with you while letting you literally take the skis right off his feet!! I mostly snowboard but today I had my ski boots on because I knew I wanted to try the MRs.

Mishka, Xwhaler and I met at Cannon at 9am this morning. At that point it was 34 degrees, pouring rain, and 30mph winds. Whatever, we headed out in the meat of the storm. I started out skiing my 2007-ish K2 Public Enemy's, which of course are a workhorse ski that does pretty much everything well. Conditions were "interesting" and varied from ice, to wet powder, to slush; and from groomed to bumped. I wish I took some pictures but pulling the phone out was tough in the rain.

After we got nice and soaked Mishka offered to put me on his first model ski. A bunch of you have seen or skied this and more info is here http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/128287-Ski-Review-The-Mishka-Original. At 120-86-110 175cm these are really close the dimensions of my PE's (118-85-109 179cm) so it made for a good comparison. The two biggest differences I immediately noticed were that the MRs are MUCH lighter and MUCH softer. This took about half a run to get used to. I had been skiing in the backseat to manage the slush and crud, but on the MRs I had to get a little more centered on the ski due to the softer tails. This turned out to be no problem at all since the softer tips and 0 camber busted through slush with ease. In fact they handled all of the challenging conditions really well. But where they really excelled was in the bumps. This is a VERY nimble ski. I was able to smoke through large, steep, wet bumps on Paulies and Rocket with quick turns and forgiving flex.

After a few runs on those, Mike offered up his newest babies the MR-110 (the ones featured from the start of this thread). 140-110-125 185cm these are also like skis that I am very familiar with. My Dynastar Huge Troubles that I've skied a fair amount this season are 140-115-130 185cm. So again I had a good point of reference. Jumping on to these guys after the skiing the MR-86 was a significant change. The 110's are obviously much bigger, but also felt substantially stiffer. Again, it took about a half-run of adjustment. These guys like to CHARGE! I had been watching Mike ski them all morning so I knew the could bust through crud. It just took me a minute to trust that. But once I felt some comfort on them I put them to the test. Instead of quick turns through the bumps I pretty much just smashed through them. On edge, they cut right through sizable bumps. And they do like to go fast. Gary's was empty of people and relatively smooth. I made 2 turns then straight-lined the rest. The skis were solid at high speed with zero chatter. Comparing them to the Huge Troubles I'd say the MR-110s were damper and better and sucking up the curd. Although they are definitely stiffer, making them a little less forgiving on my body than the Dynastars.

Both skis were a ton of fun to ski. I'd recommend that any of you guys take Mike up on the offer to try them. It's really cool hearing about his whole process, the materials, the decision making, etc and then getting a chance to actually feel those elements. I definitely learned a lot about skis today.

I'm just waiting for the MR-snowboard....

mishka

thank you

I'm just waiting for the MR-snowboard....
to put jokes aside this is possible. snowboarder have to be involved in the project

hopefully few more demo/product testing days left in this season left

mishka

I probably should of explain.
Ski and snowboard construction similar. Snowboard can be built in my shop. Unfortunately I didn't know enough to start design snowboard and even if I build one I can't ride it. This why snowboarder have to be involved to make it happen

deadheadskier

Staff member
Got a chance to demo the Mad Russian 110s today at Wildcat. Really fantastic ski. They like to CHARGE. I haven't been skiing on sticks that big much in recent years, so it took me a bit of time to get used to that, but I'd say Cannonball was spot on in all his comments regarding the skis. They're stiff, but still capable in bumps and really shined smashing through the big piles of corn snow at Wildcat today. They also carved surprisingly well for a ski so wide.

One comment I made to Mishka on the lift was how large I felt the sweet spot on the ski was. Tip to tail, no matter where I weighted myself they felt solid; front seat, back seat don't matter.

Mishka responds, "Yes, you can ski them in ze front seat, in ze back seat even ze toilet seat." :lol:

really impressive skis

Edd

One comment I made to Mishka on the lift was how large I felt the sweet spot on the ski was. Tip to tail, no matter where I weighted myself they felt solid; front seat, back seat don't matter.

really impressive skis

This. I loved them. Great boards for the conditions today.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

snoseek

Jesus, take my money.

I tried the 110's yesterday, perfect ski for soft spring snow. They just rail turns right over everything.

Amazingly light and nimble for for a ski this size, and yeah, that sweet spot. Seriously Mishka that ski is a winner in my book and the more I think about it the more I wouldn't change a thing about the dimensions.

I highly suggest trying a pair if you get the chance.

wa-loaf

Sounds like I should have waited to buy my Soul7s ... nice work. I'll have to see if I can meet-up for a demo next season.