• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke 3/23

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would love to hear theories as to why only the Judge Pass is available right now. Having just purchased four of them, I have a very small concern that Burke may not open next year and the Jay component will be our consolation prize. I know that this is entirely paranoia, but I'm still trying to figure out why they changed their protocol. There must be a reason.

Why would they close Burke?

I recall them selling the Judge pass last year sooner rather than the Burke only pass. I could be wrong.

And according to the last Email blast they are going full steam on the hotel with it opening December 2015.

VTKilarney

As I said earlier, it's just paranoia on my end. On the other hand, I fully appreciate that this is, more than ever, a business. It's a business that models itself on hotel and dining revenue. We know that the hotel has been delayed, and I doubt they will stick around losing money if they determine that the hotel cannot be funded.

As far as the timing of season pass sales, I was led to believe that last year was not like this year, but I only asked one person. It sounds like they were mistaken.

But I keep coming back to my original question. What is the actual reason for doing this? All it really impacts are the few people like me purchasing their first season pass who want to get end-of-year skiing included with their purchase. For existing passholders, there is no incentive to purchase a pass before they come out with the single mountain prices. If anything, there is a disincentive.

If prices won't go up in until mid-May, I can't for the life of me see a reason to wait until April 4th to announce single mountain pass prices.

thetrailboss

Staff member
As I said earlier, it's just paranoia on my end. On the other hand, I fully appreciate that this is, more than ever, a business. It's a business that models itself on hotel and dining revenue. We know that the hotel has been delayed, and I doubt they will stick around losing money if they determine that the hotel cannot be funded.

As far as the timing of season pass sales, I was led to believe that last year was not like this year, but I only asked one person. It sounds like they were mistaken.

But I keep coming back to my original question. What is the actual reason for doing this? All it really impacts are the few people like me purchasing their first season pass who want to get end-of-year skiing included with their purchase. For existing passholders, there is no incentive to purchase a pass before they come out with the single mountain prices. If anything, there is a disincentive.

If prices won't go up in until mid-May, I can't for the life of me see a reason to wait until April 4th to announce single mountain pass prices.

Now that you mention it, I saw that Burke only passes were coming out in April after closing.

And I've heard conflicting info as to if Burke has funds in hand to do the hotel....some say yes, some say that they have some of it, some say nope--they are fundraising.