• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 3.22.14 and 3.23.14

xlr8r

Where: Stratton
When 3.2214 and 3.23.14
Weather: Packed Powder

Why: Now that it is Late season, I took advantage of Stratton's "One Nighter" package, which is 2 days skiing, and one nights lodging for 2 people at the Black Bear Lodge (Formerly Stratton Inn) for only $230. But because I was solo the price was only $154 before tax, and included a $20 voucher for dinner on site at Bently's which I was not expecting, but made the deal even better. I know the Vermont mountains up north have had more snow and better conditions, but I really like this deal, very cheap to get 2 days of skiing in and stay on mountain, and the conditions ended up being excellent.

Saturday: Woke up later than I wanted to, but was on the road at 6:30 so I arrived at 9:30, and was on Amex by 10. The winds were very apparent all day, but did not close any lifts. The gondola ran slow all weekend, but I don't know if that was because of wind or not. I only rode the gondola 3 times all weekend because it was faster to take Amex and URSA in tandem rather than waiting for and riding the gondola. Also good riddance to those cabins, its about damn time.

Because of the winds, I spent most of the day on the Sun Bowl and Kidderbrook side of the mountain, which is also the side of Stratton I have skied very little of previously. I spent the first few runs on groomers on that side of the mountain as it started to flurry. After an early lunch the snow was coming down pretty hard, but it only lasted an hour and only amounted to 1"-2".

With the fresh coating of snow I headed for the glades and ended up doing Eclipse, Vertigo, Diamond in the Rough, Moonbeam, and Test Pilot. Test pilot was insane, never before had I skied a glade that long, over a mile long I think. The top 1/3rd of it is very tight for my 6'-4" body but still unique and interesting. Then it opens up to a nice widely spaced, but little tracked glade for the the bottom 2/3rds. Doing Test Pilot top to bottom is an exhausting experience. My favorite glade of the weekend was Vertigo, as it was widely spaced, but had a good pitch, and also had plenty of untracked spots as almost nobody was on it. The whole Kidderbrook area skied fantastic as so few people were over there because it required 2 lift rides to lap.

Eventually after the snow squall and my glades venture, the sun peaked out for a bit, but clouds came back and the winds picked up even more at the end of the day. I spent the last few runs over on the Snow Bowl side which was much windier. Ended the day at 4 with 20 runs and over 25,000 vertical feet skied.

Photos:
WP_20140322_001.jpg
Sunrise Express

WP_20140322_003.jpg
Test Pilot

WP_20140322_005.jpg
Test Pilot

WP_20140322_010.jpg
Vertigo

WP_20140322_012.jpg
Vertigo

xlr8r

Sunday: Stratton groomed every single trail overnight which made for excellent cord ripping first thing. The Sun was out most of the day with partly cloudy skies, but it did flurry for a bit mid morning which did not amount to any noticeable accumulation. Glades were a bit firmer today, as I did laps on Eclipse, most of Test Pilot, Vertigo again, and found Dancing Bear. Again Vertigo was my favorite, but all had excellent coverage. Legs were noticeable more tired today, and my ankles were getting sore, so I did a lot of groomers throughout the day. Ended the day just after 3 with 24 runs and over 30,000 vertical feet skied.

Photos:
WP_20140323_001.jpg
Just before first run

WP_20140323_003.jpg
Slalom Glade

WP_20140323_007.jpg
URSA Express

WP_20140323_010.jpg
View of Mount Snow from Shooting Star

WP_20140323_013.jpg
Just after last run

lerops

Doesn't look bad at all, glad you enjoyed it.

I've been calling Stratton, and they are always booked. May I ask when you booked that deal?

Euler

You said they "groomed every single run"...is that really true...no bumps anywhere outside the woods?

xlr8r

Yes, every marked trail received the grooming treatment. The unmarked trail under URSA had moguls with no ropes on it, also the moguls on the left side of Upper Standard were left intact. The unmarked roped off trails under Sunrise and Shooting Star were also being frequently skied. Now looking at their report for Monday it seems like they are only grooming 2/3rds of the trails tonight. I think due to the warmer conditions on Saturday, they groomed everything as the natural snow definitely became significantly firmer with the cold weather Sunday. I did not venture into the moguls as they looked firm and icy.

jaysunn

I thought that haystack/hermitage was closer to mountain snow, you cant really see it from the view of your pics, isnt it like 5 miles down the road?

xlr8r

I thought that haystack/hermitage was closer to mountain snow, you cant really see it from the view of your pics, isnt it like 5 miles down the road?

Haystack is hidden behind Mount Snow in that photo. Most of Mount Snow and Haystack face directly east, while the photo is pointed south directly at Mount Snow's North Face.

xlr8r

groomed everything, WTF, great report, but everything?

Again, yup everything, but there were some unmarked spots under liftlines that a lot of people were going on particularly under URSA. also Standard and World Cup had moguls on half the width of the trail.

The Glades were the best place to be anyway. The open trails would have been too firm due to the refreeze overnight and a cold Sunday after a warm Saturday. All in all it worked out better than expected as the forecast was for a rain shower Saturday that never happened, which really would have made the place frozen on Sunday, instead it snowed almost 2", but still got sticky and a bit sloppy near the end of the day on the lower elevations. Glades rocked all weekend though

Glenn

Nice TR. It's a cool view of the North Face at mt snow from shooting start.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app.

jaysunn

Haystack is hidden behind Mount Snow in that photo. Most of Mount Snow and Haystack face directly east, while the photo is pointed south directly at Mount Snow's North Face.

Thanks for the info @xlr8

tekweezle

I was at Stratton this past weekend as well. Expected spring conditions but it remained mid winter overall with great coverage. Conditions should last at least past this weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk