• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe 3/21-24/2014

abc

Ski council week at Stowe and I had the days off to take advantage of it. What luck!

Friday -- fresh powder I missed, tracked out powder left over everywhere that I actually got

Was skiing at Sugarbush Wed/Thur. Move to Waterbury Thursday evening. Late into the evening, I notice the snow started to fall as forecast. And it was light and fluffy. So I went to bed planning to hit first chair... at 9 as it's mid-week.

Big mistake on my part! I'm ashamed to admit I goofed big time! :oops:

Stowe, being a "destination" mountain, spins its first lift at 7:30! I found that out when I checked the open lift/trail while having breakfast. :( Just to make my mistake more unforgivable, the condition report said 8-10" had fallen overnight! Oh, not to mention the coat of 4" on my car flew away as soon as I touched it -- blower quality snow, of 8-10", and I was missing first chair by a loooong time! Jumped into my car with a bagel in my hand, I was angry with myself. Being so, I totally failed to take in the information that Spruce side lift doesn't run till 9, and I would have made first chair without problem!

Instead, dumb ass as I was, I parked at the corner of Mansfield lodge lot, long hiked up to the lodge to get ticket, up the stair... at the top of the Front Runner Quad, I found... completely tracked out powder in piles and piles! Not having been to Stowe for many years, I was entirely unsure where to go and just randomly went all over the Mansfield face. Everywhere I was reminded what I missed...

Mind you, it wasn't bad skiing by northeast standard. Soft snow everywhere. Just not the fresh, untracked powder I was envisioning (and could have gotten had I not been such a stupid bonehead). Finally, it clicked and I moved over to the Spruce peak side and was rewarded with natural snow little disturbed by human, at edge of trails and path less traveled. Skied till last lift.

For a non-weekend day, Stowe was on the busy side. Short lines on the FR quad and long lines on the gondi. Parking lot looks to be full.

So in conclusion, good skiing but really disappointed at missing out probably the best condition for the northeast! (I've had powder days out west, but this was the only time I came soooo close to northeast blower powder)

Saturday -- packed powder, fresh powder

Missing out on the freshies the day before and with no overnight dump being predicted, I dilly-dallied in the morning. Cornhead came up in the night to harvest the sloppy second and thought he had it good. ;) I joined him late in the morning. We stayed at the Spruce side for a while as it started to snow again and we were getting fresh refills.

By noon, we figured the gondi line should get a bit shorter, which it did. So we moved over to the Mansfield side. By then, the snow fall had been in earnest for a while and trails were getting quick re-fills all over. Now we were having fun, big time FUN! :)

Stopped for lunch at the top of the Front Runner quad and met up with dmw. Took some turns together. I got some beta from him about easy woods for the next day. Cornhead and dmw skied till last chair while I took off around 3:45.

It was busy enough that we had to wait from time to time, and had to split up to join the single's line a couple times just to speed the wait up. Leaving at the end of the day turned out to be the longest wait (20-30 min for me and nearly an hour for cornhead)

Sunday -- fresh powder, tracked out powder, more fresh powder, more tracked out powder

Cornhead hit the Front Runner quad at 7:30 and was rewarded with fresh powder from overnight and the day before. I joined him around 9 when we bumped into each other at the gondi. Found some almost untouched powder on the edge of a terrain park and lapped it a couple time. Then we split up because he wanted to hit Spruce again while I went to check out the woods recommended by dmw. The powder was deep in the woods!

Much fewer people, no wait on most chairs. The sun came out about noon time. Taking advantage of the good visibility, I finally worked up enough courage to try Liftline (didn't do the narrow bits at the very top part though, dropped in from a short connector between National & National Drop In, whatever it's called). I believe cornhead did that trail earlier in the morning. Bumps were soft as baby's bottom. Easy peasy! What's all the fuss about? ;)

After lunch, casually cruised the lovely twisted trails on top of Spruce. That's when we noticed some guys hiking up from the top of Sensation quad. We decided to follow... very short hike and was rewarded with a short but sweet powder field. View was fantastic from the top. (I got some rather nice pictures, of cornhead in action in that snowfield. But will wait to upload later. I'm still recovering from the long day of skiing followed by long drive home)

Really, really nice 3 days of northeast "powder" skiing. One of the best. The part about it could have been even better, was mostly forgotten by the end of Sunday.

Last edited:

dmw

DMW that is, but great report! Sounds like I missed out not being there Sunday.

abc

Corrected.

Yeah, Sunday was also very good.

I wish I could have stayed Monday (and Tuesday too). Hope it was worth it skipping such epic conditions.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's amazing how different skiers on the same day and in the same place could have such a different experience. Anyways, it didn't matter, we all had a blast, wherever we were. I'll be interested in your Spruce peak pics.

Cornhead

Great skiing with both of you. I picked a good weekend to end my 10 year Stowe hiatus. Thanks for mentioning the ski counsel days in a previous post abc, if you hadn't they'd probably have passed me by. Stowe seems more elitist than ever with the swank developement at base of Spruce. That's OK with me, just keep tossing us peasants some crumbs in the form of ski council discounts, and I'll be happy. Billski, sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were skiing Stowe Sunday. Glad you had fun at Jay. Here's a few pics from Spruce.
uploadfromtaptalk1395771537503.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395771576416.jpg
Abc on Smuggs extetion

uploadfromtaptalk1395771594446.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395771615759.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395771670165.jpg
Not Spruce, Sunset over Mansfield

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Cornhead

For sure. Each time I see photos from last weekend, I want to take the day off and git up there!

I hear you, I didn't want the weekend to end. My knee was happy it did.

k123

First tracks on Friday were amazing! Almost a foot of powder everywhere plus 3 foot drifts in the woods. But either way the conditions were amazing all weekend. If it wasn't for the ski club appreciation deal I probably wouldn't have gone to Stowe this year. We lucked out that some of the best conditions of the season happened to be during the deal.

How come you didn't catch first chair the next 2 days. I heard there was lots of fresh

Cornhead

Well, they're having another appreciation day next month. Imagine, another foot of pow???? What are the odds? don't answer that!)

:daffy:

A corn harvest at Stowe wouldn't suck either.

abc

How come you didn't catch first chair the next 2 days. I heard there was lots of fresh
There's no need for Sat/Sun. The snow fell during the day on Saturday. So the freshies were available throughout the day.

(unlike on Friday morning, which had ALL the snow fell over Thursday night)

lerops

Nice TR, and glad so many people got out last weekend. I had to stay home with my daughter and her stomach bug. She owes me now, I will remind her for many years to come. And at some point she will understand the sacrifice. :smile:

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
i was there sunday -tuesday for a psia exam. best conditions ive had in years. so much fun to be had all over the mountain. hayride woods, star woods, goat woods, bypass woods, chin clip woods, river bed, nose dive woods... all stellar. the grooming was amazing for our psia chores. couldnt have asked for better temps, sky or wind. so many smiles everywhere.

Cornhead

Awesome pics Huck, wish I could have joined you in your side country exploits, but skiing inbounds was enough to kick my ass. I'm going to work on returning to better physical condition this off season. Hopefully you can show me around next year. Glad you got to reap the rewards of all your off season recon. I couldn't have asked for better conditions for my long overdue return to Stowe. It still may be my favorite place to ski. Mansfield is an amazing mountain.

Huck_It_Baby

Awesome pics Huck, wish I could have joined you in your side country exploits, but skiing inbounds was enough to kick my ass. I'm going to work on returning to better physical condition this off season. Hopefully you can show me around next year. Glad you got to reap the rewards of all your off season recon. I couldn't have asked for better conditions for my long overdue return to Stowe. It still may be my favorite place to ski. Mansfield is an amazing mountain.

Sorry we didn't connect. I'm confident I'll see you around for spring bumps!

watkin

Stowe was perhaps the best it's been all season this past weekend! ]

I totally agree. Was up there this past Monday and hiked over the Adam's apple to hit Hellbrook. Bluebird and lots of Pow to play in!

IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

Looking at Hellbrook from the top of Spruce:

IMG_1105.jpg