• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Coltrane's sax donated to Smithsonian

legalskier

John Coltrane's son has donated one of his father's principal saxophones to the Smithsonian's jazz collection, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of his masterpiece recording "A Love Supreme." http://bigstory.ap.org/article/coltranes-sax-joins-smithsonian-jazz-collection

"A Love Supreme is often listed amongst the greatest jazz albums of all time....In 2003, the album was ranked number 47 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time....The album's influence has been extensive and diverse. Musicians ranging from tenor Joshua Redman to the rock star Bono of U2, who mentions the album in their song 'Angel of Harlem,'have singled out the influence of the album on their own work. Guitarists John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana have each credited the album as one of their greatest early influences."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Love_Supreme

What a wonderful gesture to honor one of this country's greatest musical artists.

BackLoafRiver

Well put. "Love supreme" is pretty high on my list of all time favorites. A solid move and it absolutely belongs in the Smithsonian!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

legalskier

agreed...that album blew my mind the first time i listened to it

Coltrane's pianist on that recording was McCoy Tyner, who still makes appearances from time to time. If you get an opportunity to see him, you'll be equally blown away. I've been lucky enough to see him play several times- he left an indelible impression. Intense and spiritual- I wonder whether he got that from Trane, or if they were two kindred spirits who joined forces for a moment in time....

jimk

Very cool. Smithsonian's are only about 5 miles from me. Been a few years since I visited them (sad to take such great museums for granted), don't remember Jazz section. Need to check that out. Not super into Coltrane, but used to listen to his My Favorite Things on cassette tape that I got as a hand me down from an older brother.