• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow- 3/29/2014

Glenn

We didn't rush to the mountain today...and found out no more preferred parking. Oops. Had to hike up the tubing hill.

It was reggae fest and the pond skim, so the base area was different from usual. Crowds weren't bad on the Grand Summit or Canyon. There was a line at the BlueBird. Why...I don't know. Just about all chairs had the bubble up.

The surface was soft and from the top terminal of the Canyon lift up was enshrouded in clouds. Those clouds burned off in short order and the sun came out. Sweet! The mountain skied well. Classic spring conditions; soft snow, with a few draggy spots. Carinthia was really nice with some soft cord on the edges. Shooting Star off Long John was practically untracked.

Bumps. Oh man, the bumps! Today was the best bump day in awhile. The bumps were soft, but had enough firmness to hold their troughs. Spacing was just about perfect. Some sections almost felt seeded. Yard Sale skied awesome; I was wishing it was a longer run. Ripcord. Let me pause......Ripcord. The Ripper skied outstanding. Today was probably a top 3 day on the Ripper. You could actually go about skiing the trail with some speed while still maintaining control. The woods off One More Time were great as well a nice low pitch tree run with bumps.

We had a lot of fun today. The weather report yesterday looked kinda meh, but it ended up delivering. So glad we got out.

Here's how Yard Sale looked early this afternoon.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1396136272.288616.jpg

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app.

Euler

Sounds and looks awesome! My only day of soft spring snow this year happened in January! I skied a ton in March and it was all deep winter conditions...awesome conditions but not March like I'm used to it. Now that school's started again, it's hard to get out when the conditions are good like today. I'm hoping for next Sunday...we'll see.

jaysunn

Looks awesome. Pro tip. There's a magic carpet lookers right near the snow tubing. No need to hike it. Nice report.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

drjeff

100% agree! Ripcord was off the hook good! Just perfect spring snow all the way down the pitch that let you really ski it, rather than sometimes just survive it! Even with about 40 people on it at 3:30 (a good chunk of the race team and their parents - me and my kids included :) ) started lapping it once training ended for the day at 2:30 and also getting some practice runs in for the Glade-i-ator next weekend! One of those days you get once every so often where it all just comes together weather + snow wise and you wish the day wouldn't end!!

Glenn

Looks awesome. Pro tip. There's a magic carpet lookers right near the snow tubing. No need to hike it. Nice report.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

They close the tubing hill in March and gate off the carpet. :lol: