• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke 3/29/14

VTKilarney

Quick trip report:

In just a day or two, Burke has gone from mid-winter conditions to genuine spring conditions. Soft snow everywhere. The natural snow trails were still open. I suspect this will be the last weekend for those trails. Coverage on them was still good, although the mogul runs are getting some small bare spots here and there.

Crowds were light, even by Burke standards. You can tell that the season is truly winding down. The Mid-Burke Express chair had some empty chairs going up the hill - on a Saturday! The biggest line we encountered all day was no more than four or five chairs worth of people.

We skied until 5:00 PM and really enjoyed the extra hour. We stuck around for fireworks at 8:00 PM. It was a nice show, although not many people came out for it.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I didn't ski today but went to the Tamarack for dinner and took the kids sledding afterward. Made a run from the Mid-lodge with my 4 year old that was a lot of fun. The Fireworks were really good.

jaysunn

We skied until 5:00 PM and really enjoyed the extra hour. We stuck around for fireworks at 8:00 PM. It was a nice show, although not many people came out for it.

See that sounds like a great day of skiing and entertainment. I keep hearning the bullshit about MNGMT, however I am glad you had a great time. Keeping the lift spinning an extra hour is pretty cool in my book.

jaysunn

Where do they launch the fireworks @VTKilarney? Are they done from the base of the mountain? Or up top?

VTKilarney

I truly have no complaints with management lately. Although... I am still eagerly awaiting news of an agreement with Kingdom Trails. I have some inside information, but it will have to wait at this point. Let's just say that there is work left to be done.

The fireworks were launched from the training hill on the J-Bar slope. The launching area was as close as I've ever seen to the spectators. It was pretty cool to smell that distinct smell of fireworks! I was genuinely impressed that they would spend the money on something like that this late in the season. I doubt that there were more than 150 people standing outside watching the fireworks. I'm not sure how many were in the Tamarack Grill or up at the mid-mountain.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I truly have no complaints with management lately. Although... I am still eagerly awaiting news of an agreement with Kingdom Trails. I have some inside information, but it will have to wait at this point. Let's just say that there is work left to be done.

The fireworks were launched from the training hill on the J-Bar slope. The launching area was as close as I've ever seen to the spectators. It was pretty cool to smell that distinct smell of fireworks! I was genuinely impressed that they would spend the money on something like that this late in the season. I doubt that there were more than 150 people standing outside watching the fireworks. I'm not sure how many were in the Tamarack Grill or up at the mid-mountain.

There were quite a few people up at the mid-lodge. The band was playing up there after the fireworks. And yes the fireworks were very close. Only about 150 yards uphill from the bottom of the magic carpet.

thetrailboss

Staff member
See that sounds like a great day of skiing and entertainment. I keep hearning the bullshit about MNGMT, however I am glad you had a great time. Keeping the lift spinning an extra hour is pretty cool in my book.

I would not call it bullshit. Those were (and still are) largely valid concerns. We can continue that discussion on the other thread.