• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greek Peak 3/31/14

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied: 3/31/14

Resort or Ski Area: Greek Peak

Conditions: Soft groomers in the AM, loose corn in the afternoon

Trip Report:
What a strange day. I could hear the sleet pelt my window yesterday afternoon. The sleet had turned to snow, and by early evening, there was a couple inches of accumulation. I reset my alarm to give me time to shovel before leaving for work. I wasn't expecting what I saw when I opened my front door. A foot of wet, heavy, snow had fallen overnight. The branches of the trees were straining under the load. I soon realized I wouldn't be able to make it in on time, so I called to see if I might use a vacation day with hopes that Greek had received a similar amount of snow. I called Greek's snowline, but there was no mention of new snow. I checked their website to find they claimed no new snow overnight, bummer. I probably would've skied Elk if they hadn't ceased operations for the season. The density of the snow may have made skiing it pretty rough.

uploadfromtaptalk1396314277437.jpg

I called Rambo to see if he wanted to join me. I asked if he had gotten a similar amount at his place, 6 miles to the West. Nope, only 4" in downtown Binghamton. As we headed North towards Greek, it wasn't long before there was no new snow along the highway. We pulled into the lot right at opening, 11, and booted up in the lodge. Everything groomed skied great. Everything ungroomed was pretty much toast. Huge patches of ice were present here and there on the groomed trails. The bump trails were mounds of snow with ice in between. Skies cleared, and the temperature rose to the mid 40's by mid afternoon. There wasn't enough traffic to actually form bumps, but things got pretty soft and cut up by 4 when we decide to call it a day.

uploadfromtaptalk1396315960624.jpg
Top of Odyssey

When I returned home, it was hard to believe I had shoveled a foot of snow at 6AM. Temps in the mid 40's coupled with the intense late March Sun, had almost erased most of that foot of snow. It was a great day of Spring skiing, sure beat a day of work. Sorry I didn't take more pics, too busy skiing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Rambo

Was indeed a great day of skiing, on Monday at Greek! Warmer temps, sunshine (no flat light for a change). Good practice adapting to softer spring conditions. Cornhead and I, met and skied a lot of runs with John, who likes to cruise fast. Greek is closing this Tues through Sat. and reopening Sat & Sun. 4/5 & 4/6 It's a shame that in our general vicinity the only 2 mountains open midweek now seem to be Hunter and Belleayre.