• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

April 3, 2014 - Sunday River

WJenness

Date: Thursday, April 3, 2014
Resort: Sunday River
Conditions: Frozen granular first thing, softening corn in the afternoon.
Trip Report:

Just a beautiful spring day at Sunday River.

a couple photos: https://plus.google.com/118373020664225052688/posts/P2cnzyxa795

I decided to burn a vacation day and get up to ski, because I can't make it out this weekend, and knew that Jordan Bowl is closing after this weekend (most likely), and I wanted to get a few more runs in over there.

Everything (for the most part) is still DEEPLY covered in the mountains of Western Maine. Pretty much everything was open and skiable. Towards the end of the day, a few of the early melt out harbingers were becoming visible: The rock on Lower Downdraft at the top of the knoll on the right, just before the hard right turn, the 'wall' where Last Tango comes out onto Right Stuff, the thin spot on Tourist Trap... All were beginning to show their wear...

After some stubborn cold in the morning, everything was skiing excellently with a beautiful layer of corn sloughing off the top at each and every turn, and the woods were in play everywhere.

Best snow on the mountain seemed to be in the North Peak area just afternoon. Grand Rapids (best skiing I've EVER had on that trail), Escapade, Dream Maker, Absolutely, Enchanted Forest, North Woods were all in primo shape.

Last Tango was very nice as well.

Looks like Sunday is going to be the pick of the weekend up there (weather wise), so if you're on the fence, GO... The skiing is fantastic, and no one was there on Thursday. Might be busier this weekend with the Parrothead festival, but it won't be busy at all, based on previous years.

I just put in to take Monday off to get another weekday in... Now I just have to figure out where I'm going.

Edd

Thanks for the report. I'm going to be there Monday if the current forcast for Newry holds.

chuckstah

I was at the River also on 4/3 as well as 4/4. I concur with Wjenness as to the conditions. Great variable spring conditions. All the N. peak trails mentioned skied great, as well as Quantum leap. It had thin cover as well as bare spots. Just what I like! Even White Heat, which I normally avoid skied OK. Still a bit firm but enough soft on top to hold an edge. Some of the woods and bump runs never softened to my liking. Took a run down Top Gun around noon and bailed onto goat path. The cover is awesome everywhere with the exception of Quantum. Should be a great final couple weeks. Wish they would go longer even with only Barker! Only Barker, Spruce, N. Peak and S. Ridge after Sunday, hopefully a little more next weekend.