• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K-Pico Interconnect. Yay or Nay?

Should there be a Killington-Pico interconnect?

• Total voters

skiNEwhere

It seems like in most long discussions where Killington is the primary subject, the k-pico interconnect inevitably comes up. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I used to lean towards yes, but after thinking about it a little but, all the extra lines that Pico would get would make the whole expansion a wash at best

Edd

I'm not invested in those areas but I'd prefer to see them stay apart.

boston_e

I love both Killington and Pico, and would prefer the remain separate. One of the best things about the area is the contrast of the two different vibes between the two... And the ability to choose which one to go to depending on your mood.

mulva

I like it. Drop the kids off at killington seasonal lessons and have the option of Pico right there off Ram's Head! Perfect!!!

xlr8r

I would connect them, but only by a 2-way lift like the Slidebrook chair at Sugarbush, or Tote-Road chair at Loon. This allows Pico to keep its identity separate, and would also allow Pico only tickets and passes to continue to be sold. Probably would also keep the crowds down at Pico instead of a full trail network connection.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Connect them. Size matters. That'd be around (depending on the measurements) 1,500 acres of terrain and over 100 miles of trails. Unmatched on the east coast, comparable to a mid-size western resort.

If you build it, they will come. Just look at Sunday River, or Okemo. In the late 80s all the way to the early 00s they experienced so much growth in size, and skier visits.

WWF-VT

Connect them. Size matters. That'd be around (depending on the measurements) 1,500 acres of terrain and over 100 miles of trails. Unmatched on the east coast, comparable to a mid-size western resort.

If you build it, they will come. Just look at Sunday River, or Okemo. In the late 80s all the way to the early 00s they experienced so much growth in size, and skier visits.

Who cares? There are plenty of people that already avoid Killington because of the multi mountains sprawl. Connecting Pico will have minimal, if any, impact on increasing skier visits.

WickedKillah

I've skied Killington for a number of years though never Pico. I've lived in both New York and Massachusetts and there's no way in hell I'd make the trip to ski Pico. While that may seem crazy to some, it's just my preference. I go to Killington for the big mountain experience...and honestly living in the east that's as close as you're going to get to that. I'm sure Pico is a fine mountain with lots of charm (and I hear great glades) and someday I'll ski it...when I can access it officially via Ramshead and enjoy all the awesome terrain they can develop in between. For my money and taste, Killington could never be "too big". If I want a small mountain experience, there are plenty of other great mountains in New England.

57stevey

No interest in K whatsoever. I *must* get myself to Pico before it gets assimilated.

bobbutts

Connect, would immediately be the best high intermediate/low advanced terrain at Killington, something that's somewhat lacking now. I think it would increase the utilization at Pico and spread people out at K even more. Also there's some appeal to being able to cover so much distance on skis. 7.4 road miles on US 4 between the Pico base and Skyeship.

boston_e

Who cares? There are plenty of people that already avoid Killington because of the multi mountains sprawl. Connecting Pico will have minimal, if any, impact on increasing skier visits.

I think you would get a bump the first year or two, but the novelty would wear off.... Plus you would lose a good chunk of the Pico crowd.

abc

hope K is watching this vote! ;)

I hear you those who like to see a single chair going back and forth like in Sugarbush north-south. that would be the best of both world.

but basically, keep the 2 mountains distinct.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think people are pretty delusional if they think a K-Pico interconnect will bring the masses to the area more than what currently exists.

If K wants to increase skier visits, it won't be through terrain expansion. It will be through improving on mountain lodging options and off hill offerings.

Smellytele

I think people are pretty delusional if they think a K-Pico interconnect will bring the masses to the area more than what currently exists.

If K wants to increase skier visits, it won't be through terrain expansion. It will be through improving on mountain lodging options and off hill offerings.

Unfortunately I agree that the new village they have had in the works for a long time would probably bring in more. Actually I do not want the interconnect but I am also not the type of customer they want to attract anyway.

4aprice

K is plenty big enough as is.

Pico is plenty good enough as is.

leave it alone

This. I would like to see expansion back to the summit of Rams Head however. Also was peering over South Ridge from the new restaurant up top. (very nice btw). Would love to see a new lift over there connecting up to said restaurant. Also interesting to pass Pico on the way home yesterday, all dressed up and no where to go so to speak. Beautiful coverage, bumps on Outpost and Giant Killer visable from route 4, Now I know what's it like to be out west when the mountains close and the skiing is still there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ